Windlass - Pro and Con

WATERHOG
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Windlass - Pro and Con

Post by WATERHOG »

As I shop for a Cobalt I want a windless. My wife goes with the girls and they HATE pulling the anchor in my windless Crownline. But I wonder if they are practical in my application and have no experience with an anchor you really "set".

I boat on Norris Lake in Tennessee, clay bottom for the most part and some mud. All the anchoring is done back in coves where it comes down to less than 50 feet. No current, and the wind can dance around and so does the boat! But it is mostly the wind that the anchor fights for. Often the anchorage is tight with other boaters or the shore, so I have always depended on a heavy anchor with another 5 pound weight 6 foot away to hold the boat fairly well.

My question is since I can't let enough scope for a traditional set then leave that much scope out, I was thinking that I could set it then shorten up the scope to keep from swinging around to danger. Does this work? or will I, under my situation, be disappointed with a windless type set up?
Holy Smokes
Captain
Captain

Re: Windless - Pro and Con

Post by Holy Smokes »

Bought a 293 years ago with a windlass and now I'll never be without one. You and the girls will love it. Super easy to set & retrieve.
2005 Cobalt 360, 496Mag HO's with Bravo 3X drives

LOTO - Lake of the Ozarks
rabiddawg
Captain
Captain

Post by rabiddawg »

My only con would be I think they are ugly.
2003 262 8.1 Volvo
lespaulrob
Commander
Commander

Post by lespaulrob »

I'd say with the reduced scope you have to let out in your situation you'll want a windlass or at least a real chain for you line. I have a windlass on my R6 at Tims Ford Lake (hello fellow Tennessee boater, btw) and it holds REALLY well in our lake in that exact situation. They only include about 60 feet of chain though so you may need to add a line to the end to get to the depths required over at your cove. I've anchored in 35' of water with no problems and plenty of chain left over though.

Counter point to @rabiddawg above, I like the looks of the polished stainless bling on the front. :)
2021 R6 Surf VP380, platinum sound
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

So since I boat an USACOE lake which is just a flooded river I opted not to go for windlass on my R7. I lose anchors all the time as they get wrapped around trees or what not. So my thought was I'm still in good health and have no issues muscling up an anchor. An 80 dollar anchor is much easier to replace than the bow candy that comes with the windlass. Now if I ever go to a larger boat it will have windlass for sure.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

rabiddawg wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:21 pm My only con would be I think they are ugly.
What are you nuts? Stainless bling!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
rabiddawg
Captain
Captain

Post by rabiddawg »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:41 pm
rabiddawg wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:21 pm My only con would be I think they are ugly.
What are you nuts? Stainless bling!
Probably.

It looks like a buck tooth boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2003 262 8.1 Volvo
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

If have to come up with a con, it would be dealing with sharp edges while loading onto a trailer.
I passed on it because I’ve only had the anchor out on our boat a handful of times over our 18 years of boating, and we launch/retrieve every time out.

Positives? If we did anchor more, I would have ordered it. Also I agree with BB, it makes the boat look like a boat.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Stagdad
Commander
Commander

Post by Stagdad »

Windlass. pros-Save your back, looks neat, if everything's functioning, one push of a button or flick of a switch operation. Comes with chain which most anchorers I've encountered seem to be clueless about.
cons- $$$$$$$$
If I ever order another cobalt I will have one. :)
Stagdad(Brian & Linda)
220s V8 300VP
Home Port Northern KY
Away Port Lake Cumberland / Dale Hollow
FirstStar
Commander
Commander

Post by FirstStar »

My recent R5 purchase included a windlass. The only con so far has been getting it off and on the trailer, It takes a little more finesse not to hit the bow stop - a real pain in the neck!
2021 Cobalt R5 6.2 380
WATERHOG
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by WATERHOG »

Thanks guys for the input especially from "lespaulrob" since he anchors in a Tennessee Lake!
tbully
Commander
Commander

Post by tbully »

We travel to a Tennessee lake every summer for a few weeks (Norris) and I've never dropped my windless there. I'm always afraid of catching it on a tree, etc. I've pulled up huge logs before with traditional anchors. The thought of losing the windless and anchor scare me. LOL

Unfortunate given the price of the option.....
2017 R7 6.0 430 VP
2019 R7 6.2 430 VP
TwoBurgers
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoBurgers »

A windless is one option I will definitely get on my next Cobalt. But, for those that want to pull that anchor in themselves, try an aluminum Fortress. The 7 model would work well for most of us.
As most of us are pretty picky about our boats, I who'll note I am the only one to pull my anchor up because I don't want it slammed against the hull by accident.
Chris
'13 Cobalt 232 - Merc 350 Mag MPI - B3 w/ Simrek drive shower
'17 Yamaha GP 1800 - Riva S/C Intake and Stage 1 plus re-flash
'07 Honda F-12X GPScape - MACSBoost module and IC
'13 Toyota 4Runner Limited - AirLift air bags