Using the tow eye

jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Using the tow eye

Post by jhnmdahl »

I recently found that simply dropping the rope loop over the tow eye was not the optimal way to connect the rope, as it could come loose. After fiddling around a bit (and looking online to see what other people did), it seems that the best method I could find involves dropping a loop through from above between the boat and tow eye, then looping the loop around the tow eye's hook:
IMG_1239.JPG
IMG_1240.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Using the tow eye

Post by AsLan7 »

jhnmdahl wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:55 pm I recently found that simply dropping the rope loop over the tow eye was not the optimal way to connect the rope, as it could come loose. After fiddling around a bit (and looking online to see what other people did), it seems that the best method I could find involves dropping a loop through from above between the boat and tow eye, then looping the loop around the tow eye's hook:

IMG_1239.JPG
IMG_1240.JPG

The strange thing is that the tow eye on the Cobalts that use the POLE mounts are reversed! I could never figure that one out. On every boat I have owned or operated, that middle metal finger (sorry) in that O-ring bends toward the front of the boat. On the tow poles...it bends toward the aft! Maybe I can find a better pic....the one I have only shows it in it's storage location.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

This is the best I can find close up. Anyways, the metal finger points aft. I swear Cobalt engineered it backwards. There is no other direction to "lock" the bar in either. The tow line (or lines) have never come off. Just curious. Any thoughts?
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

jhnmdahl wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:55 pm I recently found that simply dropping the rope loop over the tow eye was not the optimal way to connect the rope, as it could come loose. After fiddling around a bit (and looking online to see what other people did), it seems that the best method I could find involves dropping a loop through from above between the boat and tow eye, then looping the loop around the tow eye's hook:
That's how I did it on previous boats that had a tow eye like that.
2018 r5
2003 220
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I wish I could find my old ones I'll have to look. But really the middle finger doesn't do anything but separate the rope.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:22 pm I wish I could find my old ones I'll have to look. But really the middle finger doesn't do anything but separate the rope.

Actually when we use four or five ropes ( including those thicker ones for the monster tubes), they stack on top of each other toward the top. Having the finger pointing toward the bow would give the ropes a little more security from slipping off and of course peace of mind.

Again, never had one slip yet but finger pointing forward would guarantee no issues.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

AsLan7 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:07 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:22 pm I wish I could find my old ones I'll have to look. But really the middle finger doesn't do anything but separate the rope.

Actually when we use four or five ropes ( including those thicker ones for the monster tubes), they stack on top of each other toward the top. Having the finger pointing toward the bow would give the ropes a little more security from slipping off and of course peace of mind.

Again, never had one slip yet but finger pointing forward would guarantee no issues.
True. We never tow that many.lol
I started my rope coming up the bottom though. I'm searching. Nope no pictures in my cloud sorry. It's hard to explain how we did it.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!