(AZ, NM, NV, TX, UT)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

2019 Lake Powell round up.

Post by Big Block Power »

So who would be in for this.
Any ideas?
Right now I'm flying into Az rent a houseboat. T555500000?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: 2019 Lake Powell round up.

Post by thunder550 »

Can I come on your houseboat? Are you renting at Powell or trailering from Phoenix? :lol:

We are in!
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

thunder550 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:54 pm Can I come on your houseboat? Are you renting at Powell or trailering from Phoenix? :lol:

We are in!
Yep tell your wife that your staying with a internet weirdo. I have no idea where I'll rent from. Another buddy might come from Colorado with his new Malibu. It's on his bucket list.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

:lol:

There's Wahweap rentals, we've used them a bunch in the past. This is where'd I'd be inclined to start first...
https://www.lakepowell.com/houseboating ... entals-az/

Antelope Point has rentals too, never used them:
http://antelopepointlakepowell.com/lake ... t-rentals/

Looks like Antelope Point also charters 26' Cobalts, nice!

We've always been good with the economy level houseboats when we've gone in the past, usually the 53' is a good size. You have a desire to have anything nicer? We did one of the Deluxe houseboats once and I actually thought it was terrible, the generator ran the entire time, kids played video games because there was a TV and they could, and everone wanted the A/C on and was worried about keeping the doors closed. Really cheapened the experience IMO.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Good info. How hot is it there. I rented a house boat 25 years ago on TR. Yes AC but no tv. The wife likes the heat I like to eat and sleep in comfortable temps. Your from the desert. What's heat.lol
I'm find out where my buddy keeps his houseboat too he rents it out. Never know he might be there too. He has a BU also. He's there now.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Mr Hahn
Commander
Commander

Post by Mr Hahn »

Oh yeah, I'll run down if this happens when I'm available. We can just sleep in a tent on the beach.
2007 Cobalt 272 with Volvo 8.1 Gi
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:13 pm Good info. How hot is it there. I rented a house boat 25 years ago on TR. Yes AC but no tv. The wife likes the heat I like to eat and sleep in comfortable temps. Your from the desert. What's heat.lol
I'm find out where my buddy keeps his houseboat too he rents it out. Never know he might be there too. He has a BU also. He's there now.
It gets hot during the day (probably mid to upper 90's during the hottest part of the summer) but cools off at night, I'm thinking upper 60s to low 70s IIRC. It can stay a little bit warm inside in the early part of the night. I always bring an air mattress and sleep on the top deck, it's really comfortable outside in a sleeping bag, and you can't beat the view of the stars with no city lighting to mess it up.

It actually looks like the economy units all have A/C now too, I can see running it for an hour or so before bed to cool the interior down, then maybe leaving the doors and windows open after lights out. Just not a fan of leaving the generator running all night long.
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Mr Hahn wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:36 pm Oh yeah, I'll run down if this happens when I'm available. We can just sleep in a tent on the beach.
Great!

Timing wise, I've been in May before and I thought it was a little bit early. Weather was decent but the water hadn't warmed up all the way yet and wasn't enjoyable to get in IMO. Upper 60's IIRC. Mid-June through August is prime time, water is warmer, probably low-mid 70's. Can't remember if I've ever been in September, but went early October once too and it was too cold, so I'm going to guess that September is hit or miss, especially later in the month. Plus we'd have school starting up sometime that month, so probably best to avoid.
hoghead54
Captain
Captain

Post by hoghead54 »

0430180820_Burst01.jpg
I found this on one of the web sites. I've been there in April and it was pretty nice the water was rising about a foot a day and was pretty cool and I've been there in September when it was 80*+/- and the water was nice and warm. Any body that's going that have kids in school will be a determining factor for when. We can go anytime just let us know and we'll make plans. Don't AZ kids have year around school?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Good info HH.

My daughter will be making the transition from montessori preschool to public kindergarten in 2019, differences in the two school's calendars means we will have a shorter than normal summer. She will be done with montessori in the 2nd half of June and start KG in early August, so we will basically be limited to the month of July for a Powell trip. Jeez. Depending on exactly how the calendars fall, the last week in June and first week in August may be options too, but neither school has released their schedules that far out yet.
stan1541
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by stan1541 »

Houseboats go on sale for usually 50% off after Labor day. Usually you have to book it around now and pay for it in advance. We went last week of Sept last year, it blew 40+ most of the time so it was nerve racking. I think we will go earlier in Sept next year.
2006 226 5.7 GXi
Cessna 182
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yep out week have to be a june, July, August trip for us. I have to do payroll on the first and 16th so I try to schedule around that. So time will tell.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
NoAZ
Ensign
Ensign

Post by NoAZ »

My personal opinion is that September is the best time to go to Powell. Summer is over so the crowds are not much a issue. The weather is usually good, but a monsoon here or there. We have a houseboat rented for the first week in August this year, we rented from Wahweap rentals. 53' for 3 families, should be enough room. We will probably camp close to Wahweep and use our boats to head up lake for day trips. I'll post some pictures throughout the year, as we go several times a month it seems..... Happy wife happy life they say........
'97 220
hoghead54
Captain
Captain

Post by hoghead54 »

Did the Lake Powell trip fall through the cracks? Or is it still on?
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

We are planning on it. Have another family of 6 that said they are 100% in as well. Trying to nail down one more family member, then will pick dates. It has to be July for us, probably after the 4th. I'm hoping to reserve a house boat in the next month or two.