Painting a Volvo outdrive

AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Painting a Volvo outdrive

Post by AsLan7 »

JTinMO wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:53 pm Can someone post a pic of the volvo can that matches? I tried to buy a can a year ago and was not a match. Had to do a quick wipe off. Been gun-shy to order another $15 can that's the wrong color for the DPS drives.
Like akor mentioned, you can match it as rd did above or purchase a can specifically for the duo-prop shade of gray from the VP paint website for $19.99 plus shipping.

3851219 paint code for VP duo prop & SX drives also sold by Amazon.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

AsLan7 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:37 pm
JTinMO wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:53 pm Can someone post a pic of the volvo can that matches? I tried to buy a can a year ago and was not a match. Had to do a quick wipe off. Been gun-shy to order another $15 can that's the wrong color for the DPS drives.
Like akor mentioned, you can match it as rd did above or purchase a can specifically for the duo-prop shade of gray from the VP paint website for $19.99 plus shipping.

3851219 paint code for VP duo prop & SX drives also sold by Amazon.

I have a can in my tool box right now. To me matches great.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
rabiddawg
Captain
Captain

Post by rabiddawg »

The computer gave me 21 candidates and ranked the pictured one as best. The ford code was the only one listed that folk would recognize.

The codes in the pic are what we call fleet colors. Usually on big rigs or commercial type trucks.

My paint line is lesonal made by Akzo noble. If you find a wholesaler they can mix this for you. I would tell them you want a single stage paint not base coat clear coat.
2003 262 8.1 Volvo
sb2racin
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sb2racin »

rabiddawg wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:26 pm The computer gave me 21 candidates and ranked the pictured one as best. The ford code was the only one listed that folk would recognize.

The codes in the pic are what we call fleet colors. Usually on big rigs or commercial type trucks.

My paint line is lesonal made by Akzo noble. If you find a wholesaler they can mix this for you. I would tell them you want a single stage paint not base coat clear coat.
Was this color a perfect match? I just repainted my transom assembly with OEM Volvo spray can SX Silver (Volvo part # 3851219) but I want to have my outdrive professionally done and would like as close to perfect match as possible. Thanks
rabiddawg
Captain
Captain

Post by rabiddawg »

I really can’t say if it’s a perfect match as I have nothing to compare to.

The scanner I used is designed to give us a blendable match. Sometimes it is very close but sometimes it’s not. If I had to bet, I’d say it won’t be a perfect match because the surface I scanned was far from perfect.

It looks nice on the back of the boat.
2003 262 8.1 Volvo
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

How often should you need to touch up or paint a VP outdrive with regular use, river and fresh water lakes only? Should it last through warranty period with no salt water use?
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Yeah, it usually lasts for a long, long time until you hit something with your outdrive :)
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

Hmm…that was my thought, I’ve never painted an outdrive. 2019
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

It depends on the water you drive in. How and where you drive. If you're in sand that's abrasive. I touch mine up all the time. My garage is more abrasive then the water. 15 hours in the water and 2500 hours in the garage!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!