Lake Guntersville HydroFest....Who's Going

Bamabonners
Commander
Commander

Re: Lake Guntersville HydroFest....Who's Going

Post by Bamabonners »

nolaboater99 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:12 pm
Bamabonners wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:11 am That’s my home lake. If anyone decides to come in, hit me up and I’ll show you around. Always welcome on my boat.
I'm looking right now for a place to stay on the lake that has a boat dock. I would rather not launch and load everyday. AS an alternative I would like to find a marina that would rent me a slip for the weekend. Planning to drive up on the 22nd and come home on the 25th. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Shawn
Might try Alred Marina. Right across the wide part of the lake from the event. Full service shop.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

trs23 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:35 pm Lake Washington is our home lake and home to the hydros each August during Seafair weekend. Chip is a local in the community and the hydros occasionally use the lake for testing.

I highly recommend seeing these boats at an event, growing up the late 70s/80s I still remember Miss Budweiser and Circus Circus going head to head in multiple lakes around the country (including a big event at the Lake of the Ozarks). Really miss the old V-12 “thunder boats”, the helicopter/turbofan engines just don’t have the rumble of old.
Exactly the same here. I never knew where lake Washington was. Lol
Miss Ortega too.
The good ole days.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
nolaboater99
Captain
Captain

Post by nolaboater99 »

Leaving in a bit to drive to Lake Guntersville for Hydrofest....without my boat darn it. But I'm going anyway. If anyone will be there let me know and I'll buy the first beer.
Shawn
1985 Cobalt CM23
383 Stroker GM Small Block
nolaboater99
Captain
Captain

Post by nolaboater99 »

Just got back yesterday afternoon from Lake Guntersville. What a beautiful area. The lake is stunning, the town of Guntersville is cool and the people are just wonderful.

The Unlimited Hydroplanes ran on an area of the lake called Brown's Creek. It was one of the best viewing spots I have seen and the boats were close to the shoreline so visibility was great. Unfortunately the weather was awful on Friday and Saturday and all race events were cancelled Friday and most of Saturday. Sunday however, was gorgeous....and hot & humid. But the boat racing was superb. Here is a link to a YouTube vide of the final championship heat. Advance to about the 45 minute point which is the start of the race and then watch the 5-lap race. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObM-4EfA3wcW
When you see the boats on the straights they are hitting 180-190 MPH. They are hoping to be back next year and so am I.
Shawn
1985 Cobalt CM23
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

nolaboater99 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:16 pm Just got back yesterday afternoon from Lake Guntersville. What a beautiful area. The lake is stunning, the town of Guntersville is cool and the people are just wonderful.

The Unlimited Hydroplanes ran on an area of the lake called Brown's Creek. It was one of the best viewing spots I have seen and the boats were close to the shoreline so visibility was great. Unfortunately the weather was awful on Friday and Saturday and all race events were cancelled Friday and most of Saturday. Sunday however, was gorgeous....and hot & humid. But the boat racing was superb. Here is a link to a YouTube vide of the final championship heat. Advance to about the 45 minute point which is the start of the race and then watch the 5-lap race. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObM-4EfA3wcW
When you see the boats on the straights they are hitting 180-190 MPH. They are hoping to be back next year and so am I.
Shawn
Thanks for the update on the races, nb99. It's just amazing watching those machines race. Can't imagine getting caught behind one of those rooster tails. Those drivers have some incredibly monstrous sized stones. 8-)

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

What a great race. That start doesn't look very fair though.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
nolaboater99
Captain
Captain

Post by nolaboater99 »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:03 pm What a great race. That start doesn't look very fair though.
Lot of strategy in getting into position for the start. Each boat has a chance for lane 1 but its all how you get in to position. they have been starting that way for 70 years.
1985 Cobalt CM23
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Really really cool. I can't fathom going that fast on the water!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

A bit bored today. This is cool for us hydro fans.
https://youtu.be/_AArltTNRaA
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!