R7 Fueling Issue

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
Soonerfan
Captain
Captain

R7 Fueling Issue

Post by Soonerfan »

Has anyone had a difficult time fueling their R series on the water? I filled my R7 on the trailer prior to her maiden voyage. Had no issues fueling and put 65 gallons in without an issue. I have attempted to fuel at three different marinas on the water and have not been able to get the fuel to take at a reasonable rate. No matter how I hold the nozzle, how far in our out, where the weight is in the boat, how I hold my tongue, etc I can not get it to take fuel at a decent rate. I get so frustrated I give up after 15 minutes and about 20 gallons of fuel slowly squeezing and re squeezing the nozzle when it cuts off. Two of the marinas it was self serve and the other was a full service and they couldn't get it to take either. So just checking to see if anyone else has had a issue and what your solution might have been.
2018 R7 Surf (Sold Fall 2021)
2022 R8 Surf Ordered August 2021
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Re: R7 Fueling Issue

Post by Ytmsn »

Did you have one of these on? 😁 Just saying..
20180611_194547.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Damn YT your pic is not showing for me.

Ive filled her up 3 times now no issues....other than embarrassing myself the first attempt and docking it at the gas dock 🤨
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Mine takes it full blow..😗😙😏🤣

I’m guessing, but pretty sure..
If air can’t get out, gas won’t go in. Check your fill return air vent line, it must be kinked/collapsed/blocked somewhere.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I would try one of A7's refuel hose.lol
If he can't get it to take fuel you have a real issue.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Soonerfan
Captain
Captain

Post by Soonerfan »

Of course no mercy from YT! To answer your question yes I will try a different one next time and see if that helps!

What a sight that would be! A7, are you up for it? That would be a sight to see!

I was thinking something with the vent tube. Wouldn't think it would be spiders or mud dobber next as it hasn't been on the lift very long. Guess I will locate the fuel tank and look for the vent line and see if I can see anything visible. Thanks!
2018 R7 Surf (Sold Fall 2021)
2022 R8 Surf Ordered August 2021
gdane
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by gdane »

IMG_
IMG_
Soonerfan wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:04 am Of course no mercy from YT! To answer your question yes I will try a different one next time and see if that helps!

What a sight that would be! A7, are you up for it? That would be a sight to see!

I was thinking something with the vent tube. Wouldn't think it would be spiders or mud dobber next as it hasn't been on the lift very long. Guess I will locate the fuel tank and look for the vent line and see if I can see anything visible. Thanks!
Sooner, Those damn mud dobbers can build a fort in one night!
IMG_0249.jpg
May be my Horns will help! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2016 R7
Volvo 380
" ONE MORE DAY II"
"Liquid Lounge" on
Table Rock Lake
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Soonerfan wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:04 am Of course no mercy from YT! To answer your question yes I will try a different one next time and see if that helps!

I'm up for it!!!

Ok, back to reality. Yes, like Tuscany mentioned, it's most likely your side fuel vent. We had mud daubers one year clog the screen. Had the same issue. Since there is no where for the air to displace, it will kick off the pressure relief on the gas nozzle.

Now back to fantasy world. :D
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

I'd like to see the boat that could keep up with that! 😁
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Seriously sometime you should coordinate with a refueling helicopter of some sort to fuel you up while on the water. Pull some favors A7. Imagine the faces of the other boaters....
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
crabtn
Ensign
Ensign

Post by crabtn »

Did you ever figure out the fuel issue with your R7? I know the post string is older but I just bought a 2018 R7 Surf and am having the exact same issue filling it on the water as you did back then. Can you let me know how you fixed it? Thanks!
crabtn
Ensign
Ensign

Post by crabtn »

Update - there seems to be a design flaw with the 2015 Cobalt R7 Surf. The air vent for the gas tank is located on the Port side, low, almost near the stern quarter. When you are wake surfing on the port side, when you go to slow down (ie: wake surfer falls down) and you need to circle back, water from your own surf wave goes over the fuel air vent thus pushing water down the pipe inside the boat to the charcoal filter (in place so you don’t get water in your fuel tank). When that charcoal filter fills up with water, now the fuel vent cannot breathe so when you go to fill up with fuel now gas will go in (because it can’t vent air). This is a known issue by Cobalt since they have now moved the air vent valve (on the R8 Surf) much further up and higher on the port side so wakesurfing water does not enter it. My boat has now gone back to Cobalt dealer for 4th time to try this address this. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. When they empty the water out or replace the charcoal air filter and we just cruise around lake, the boat takes on fuel no problems at all. This just happens after we wake surf. Dealer took video and is sending to Cobalt next week to show water going into air vent valve.