Kids and Life Jackets

Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Kids and Life Jackets

Post by Table Rockin »

My kids are 11.5 and 8.5 and good swimmers. I still make them both wear a life jacket at all times (unless anchored and in the boat). They dont like them obviously and would prefer not to wear them when anchored and swimming. My wife thinks its ok (this coming from Mrs. Safety), but I am not on-board.

Just a question for those with kids or who have them on as guests.....whats your life jacket for kids policy? Age cutoff? Jackets on while underway?
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
rrfisher
Commander
Commander

Re: Kids and Life Jackets

Post by rrfisher »

13 in Texas while underway. If the boat it touching ground my 10 year old can take his off, but my 6 year old can't. Mine don't mind them and keep them on pretty much anytime we're on the boat, shallow or not.
2001 206 5.0 Gi
Silverbullet555
Commander
Commander

Post by Silverbullet555 »

My boat my rules. On the boat, both boys and any kids wear life vests. On the dock the oldest can be without a lifevest, but the young one has to have his vest on.
James
2002 226 with VP 8.1Gi DP
gdane
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by gdane »

In Missouri I think the age is 12 ?? When we had young ones we said age 12 on the boat and on the dock.
2016 R7
Volvo 380
" ONE MORE DAY II"
"Liquid Lounge" on
Table Rock Lake
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Niece and Nephew ages 6 and 8...jackets at all times no questions asked until you are on land. The older ones swim with the life belts so a little less than a full jacket but its still something...and KY is a 13 and under rule as far as wearing the jackets go....
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Currently Not a Boat Owner
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

In Pennsylvania, passengers 12 years of age and under on Commonwealth waters are required to wear a Coast Guard-approved life jacket while underway on any boat that is under 20 feet in length.

Although our Cobalt is yacht certified measuring over 26', we still require kids under the age of 13 to wear a lifejacket while underway -- and anyone else who desires one as well. We currently carry 15 life jackets on our 263 and carried 15-20 on our 262. They were all the neoprene ones with zippers and twin buckles which are great for tubing since they fit very snugly.

Currently Costco has a great price on them if anyone cares. My goal was to never pay over $50 for a new life jacket purchasing only neon pink and navy blue. The neoprene double buckled zippered ones at Costco are running $39.99.

Btw, the Coast Guard was always impressed when they did a courtesy check and everyone had a high quality life jacket that fit--especially when we had 16 souls on board.

All our kids completed advanced swim lessons as well since we are around the water so much. (2 boys were captain's of the high school team following in dad's, granddad's, and great granddad's footsteps). We have all been lifeguards. This family is a bunch of fish. :lol:

2nd pic below is my daughter on my dad's boat. Not a fan of the old style but didn't seem to affect Gracie girl much. :)

lifejacket.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

rrfisher wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:54 pm 13 in Texas while underway. If the boat it touching ground my 10 year old can take his off, but my 6 year old can't. Mine don't mind them and keep them on pretty much anytime we're on the boat, shallow or not.
I follow the law in Texas. Once the boat is moored it is their parents call. If I'm baby sitting then I err on the side of caution. Lake Travis is a deep lake. There is really no where I moor where they can touch bottom. Vest stays on. Hell I usually always have a floaty close, and I've got enough body fat I can float like a log.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Max we let him go without one this year he's 13. Wisconsin is 12 on the boat. Unless he could stand up in the water and the pool he had one on before. We wear one in the lake if we can't touch. On Cumberland all 3 of us had one on in the water.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

Driller wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:19 pm Once the boat is moored it is their parents call. If I'm baby sitting then I err on the side of caution.
+1
2018 r5
2003 220
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Oddly enough the law in MO is age 7.....which i find kind of ridiculous. But its also one of the reasons i ask...i was surprised and wondered if people actually allowed it.

The whole not being able to touch is also an issue at table rock. Your never in a place you can touch and at least 30' of water.

Meh....ill keep on being a scrooge. Ive let them swim without when im right there paying close attention but thats all their getting.
"The Mistress"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Table Rockin wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:56 pm Oddly enough the law in MO is age 7.....which i find kind of ridiculous. But its also one of the reasons i ask...i was surprised and wondered if people actually allowed it.

The whole not being able to touch is also an issue at table rock. Your never in a place you can touch and at least 30' of water.

Meh....ill keep on being a scrooge. Ive let them swim without when im right there paying close attention but thats all their getting.
Good call TR. Better to err on the side of conservatism. I'm sure you heard about Bode Miller's toddler drowning in the pool Saturday.
“was only missing for just a short amount of time, and Mom turned and was looking for her and didn’t see her right next to her,”
Devastating.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

AsLan7 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:13 pm
Table Rockin wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:56 pm Oddly enough the law in MO is age 7.....which i find kind of ridiculous. But its also one of the reasons i ask...i was surprised and wondered if people actually allowed it.

Good call TR. Better to err on the side of conservatism. I'm sure you heard about Bode Miller's toddler drowning in the pool Saturday.
“was only missing for just a short amount of time, and Mom turned and was looking for her and didn’t see her right next to her,”
Devastating.
I couldn't imagine. I didn't hear this. Very sad.
I was thinking as the boys were drinking this weekend and then if one fainted what could happen. All of us were floating on or with something. The wife got so mad at some other boaters. The adults were on a noodle and swimming to the falls while holding about a 1 year old with nothing on. Wth are they thinking.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

I did hear about that A7....everytime i hear a story like that it just twists my gut.

Yea ok thats crazy BB....wow...

Yea thats what i told my wife, all it takes is that one unforeseen event...its a deep lake.....its not happening.
"The Mistress"
Bobo87
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Bobo87 »

Always follow the law. Under 13 in Texas is mandatory. Even though my thre 9 year olds are all on swim team and strong swimmers, open water is a different story. They must wear them even when swimming off the dock. Open water is much more unpredictable than a swimming pool. Just my rules. Safety first.
2007 212 5.0 GXi DP Volvo Penta
Tubing, Skiing, and all around boating fun!
Texas Sun & Fun!
2016 Yamaha VX Cruiser
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Bobo87 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:12 pm Always follow the law. Under 13 in Texas is mandatory. Even though my thre 9 year olds are all on swim team and strong swimmers, open water is a different story. They must wear them even when swimming off the dock. Open water is much more unpredictable than a swimming pool. Just my rules. Safety first.
Excellent practice Bb87. 8-)
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)