263 Fresh Water Pump

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
Red Stripe
Commander
Commander

263 Fresh Water Pump

Post by Red Stripe »

I recently purchased a 263 and I can not seem to get the fresh water pump working. The previous owner never used the sink or transom shower and the owners manual is little help. I turned on the switch in the cabin and checked the two wires at the connector next to the pump and have power. I think maybe the pump needs replaced but wanted to check all options before ordering a new one. Any help is appreciated
Red Stripe
"If it was easy everyone would do it"
Cobalt 263
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: 263 Fresh Water Pump

Post by Big Block Power »

Power and grd at the pump only one thing left. The garbage can.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Red Stripe
Commander
Commander

Post by Red Stripe »

That is what I think too but wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing a reset button / breaker on the pump that I was missing.
Red Stripe
Cobalt 263
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Red Stripe wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 am That is what I think too but wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing a reset button / breaker on the pump that I was missing.
Funny you should mention this RS.

I just replaced my pump yesterday.

The light on the cuddy cabin panel worked but the pump just would not pump. Btw, to get power, mine requires the switch on the transom (next to the shower) to be positioned up in order for power to be applied to the pump. (There is also a switch in the cuddy but the master is on the transom)

The pump I had apparently just died. The rubber diaphragm in them can go bad. You can either rebuild it or just swap out the pump like I did. Amazon has the pumps for around $80--$100. I went to my local RV store and purchased a 3gpm one. The Shurflo cost about $100. There is a cheaper off brand one available that does not have a two year warranty for around $80. I wanted to stick with the manufacturer Cobalt uses (Shurflo). Easy job. Be sure to use pipe thread tape and all fittings are tight.

Pics for ya:
Original pump...
pumpa.jpg

pump2.jpg

Pumps compared...
Pump1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Closeup of new Shurflo.

pump3.jpg
Sink works now!
pump4.jpg
As does the transom shower!
pump5.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Red Stripe
Commander
Commander

Post by Red Stripe »

Thanks for the information, I do appreciate it. I will get a new pump ordered. Another question I have is the "pump out head". My boat has a macerator switch but I have no idea how to use it. Again, the OM offers little help. I do not see a inlet valve and I am not sure if they all came with the switch or I am missing something. I have never had a pump out before so I am still learning.
Red Stripe
Cobalt 263
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Red Stripe wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:58 am Thanks for the information, I do appreciate it. I will get a new pump ordered. Another question I have is the "pump out head". My boat has a macerator switch but I have no idea how to use it. Again, the OM offers little help. I do not see a inlet valve and I am not sure if they all came with the switch or I am missing something. I have never had a pump out before so I am still learning.
Funny you should ask about this too.

Our 262 only had a removable head which we only used for emergencies.

This 263 has a pump out head with which we have not experimented yet. The whole onboard toilet flushing operation is new to me too. (Tuscany, want to chime in?).

I’m wondering if the cabin pressure switch on the panel in the cuddy gives pressure to the toilet. I did not think to check that after I fixed our pump.

We also have a macerator switch on the dash but I don’t believe we have a macerator installed. I’ll check the circuit breaker panel to see if something is hooked up.

From what I understand, you need to operate the macerator when it’s time to pump out the waste tank so the poop is all liquified. 💩 Not sure when to know if your tank is full since there is no tank indicator anywhere. Maybe when it starts overflowing? 😂

Let me know what you find out my 263 friend. 8-)

Anyone else have boating toilet time experience ? (ooohhh that came out wrong—-oooohhh, that did too) 💩💩💩

Btw, here’s the new fresh water pump installed

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
smokymance
Commander
Commander

Post by smokymance »

Aslan, its interesting to see you have 2 switches for the pump...mine only has the interior switch by the radio...thanks for the info tho...gives a nice idea where everything is located.
2003 Cobalt 263 8.1L GXi
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

smokymance wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:50 am Aslan, its interesting to see you have 2 switches for the pump...mine only has the interior switch by the radio...thanks for the info tho...gives a nice idea where everything is located.
You must not have the transom shower then correct?
shower d.jpg
What does your cabin switch do?
press.jpg
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Red Stripe
Commander
Commander

Post by Red Stripe »

New pump ordered and should arrive today. I plan to install in the AM before I head to the lake. I will let you know how it goes.
Red Stripe
Cobalt 263
smokymance
Commander
Commander

Post by smokymance »

She does, but the previous owner also installed a radio remote to what seems to be the location of your switch
2003 Cobalt 263 8.1L GXi
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Nice pic!

Some observations....

Be careful with the 262 ladder being down while turning the oudtrive with props running. (Ladder is easy to forget.) I did not have the third step on my 262 from the previous owner hitting that. I should invent an electric ladder re-tractor with an indicator on the dash.

Get some boat buckles. One of the best things I did to speed up the launch and retrieval process. Very easy to install.

Never put the hatch up with the ski pylon installed.

It will be interesting to see what powers your transom shower with the radio remote installed there.

Your boat looks amazing!

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
smokymance
Commander
Commander

Post by smokymance »

Aslan.

I completely agree with all you said.

I am thinking of getting rid of the 3rd step myself to avoid a down ladder while running. It wouldnt prevent contact 100% but it would at least be little higher out of the way if the drive is down. I put a sign by the ignition to remind me but you know that one day it could happen...it is a design that could cause a nice issue!

I am planning to get some boat buckless...the ones i have are nice but take too long and i have to store them!

My transom shower now is 100% controlled with the interior switch only. So i have to go shut it off and on inside the cabin! Im assuming the pump on your boat works like mine does: its a pump on demand...u ask for water (switch on that is) and the pump turns on until you close the water source.

Also...when are you going to find me an extended platform? i love it!!!!!! From what it seems it sits water level when on the water. On my friends malibu boat, his platform it is water level, which makes it a breeze to hop in not even needing a ladder! you turn around do alittle tricep jump and ur sitting!
2003 Cobalt 263 8.1L GXi
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

smokymance wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:59 am Aslan.

I completely agree with all you said.

I am thinking of getting rid of the 3rd step myself to avoid a down ladder while running. It wouldnt prevent contact 100% but it would at least be little higher out of the way if the drive is down. I put a sign by the ignition to remind me but you know that one day it could happen...it is a design that could cause a nice issue!

I am planning to get some boat buckless...the ones i have are nice but take too long and i have to store them!

My transom shower now is 100% controlled with the interior switch only. So i have to go shut it off and on inside the cabin! Im assuming the pump on your boat works like mine does: its a pump on demand...u ask for water (switch on that is) and the pump turns on until you close the water source.

Also...when are you going to find me an extended platform? i love it!!!!!! From what it seems it sits water level when on the water. On my friends malibu boat, his platform it is water level, which makes it a breeze to hop in not even needing a ladder! you turn around do alittle tricep jump and ur sitting!
Yes...the extra extended swim platform (as well as the stainless arch) were nonnegotiable while we searched. They are both game changers after not having them on our 262. I’ve never seen them used or separate. Maybe a parts 263 or 262 will come up for sale which you can cannibalize. It is integrated into the hull though and I know removal makes the boat no longer Coast Guard worthy according to the user manual.

Yes,shurflo pump is an automatic on-demand pump. Be careful though as it can burn out if your water tank is empty and your switch is “on”

I purchased the stainless buckles below off of Amazon and can’t speak highly enough about them. (I also purchased a single one for the front ). Again make sure you get the stainless hardware so you won’t have to deal with rust stains on that beautiful trailer of yours.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
smokymance
Commander
Commander

Post by smokymance »

LOL a swim platform will most likely never pop up! i just wishful thinking! Im more than impressed with this boat vs the old 18.2ft mariah boat i had, even though the quality on that boat was also pretty good!

THanks for the heads up on the buckless...did u drill and tap into the trailer and run bolts thru? Im starting to think i could maybe find some low key not ugly trailer guides, but i hear they can sometimes do more damage than good!

I have a heritage trailer and they have some nice ones that can be installed but i think i have to purchase from them!
2003 Cobalt 263 8.1L GXi