Can I borrow your boat?

liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Can I borrow your boat?

Post by liquid »

I know the answer to this, it's pretty simple - NO.

I have an issue in that I'm about to park my boat on the lift at our lakehouse for the rest of the summer. I have a brother and a sister, both married with their own kids. We've all grown up in, on and around boats from sail to alumacraft with outboards to jet skis.

I have a very flexible work schedule that allows me to make my own hours and i can be at the lake in 40 minutes from my house/work. So depending on the weather I'll pop down there instead of taking a week or two of vacation days.

This isn't the case for my brother or brother in law/sister.

I don't mind them driving it while i'm on the boat or even when I'm simply at the lake and they want to take their family for a cruise.

Problem I have is this crossing into something more. I'm crazy anal about my stuff - especially my boat. They're good about gas money etc but my wife and I are apprehensive about the boat being used without us around.

So background over - I need to establish some ground rules without being a dick. When it's on the trailer it's easy to keep her safe but this is a bit different.

I've said it before on this forum - they're boats - we bump them into stuff, we're dragging people around behind them, batteries die, etc.

Anyone ever had similar situation or thoughts?
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Can I borrow your boat?

Post by Big Block Power »

That's a tuff one. Who owns the cottage? Who owns the lift?
Just saying to make matters more difficult. I boat at my brothers and if I bought the lift and parked my boat he wouldn't ask to use it.he has a fishing boat and a pontoon. My 26 year old son doesn't even ask to use my boat.Heck my wife doesn't even ask. She was happy she got to steer it at idle. I'm the youngest of 8 kids and none of them would ask to use any of my boats. So it's easy for me. They can get damaged way too easy and hard feelings can come from that so I would stay away from it if it was me.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Another Split - House and lift belong to my Father/Aunt/Uncle. Part of my hesitancy.

I'm with you, just going to make for an awkward August :o
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I would think they would understand seeing that is your boat. My boats are my babies and I know your gem is yours. I would hope that they under stand if someone is going to break it that will be you not them. They would feel really bad if they damage it or something goes wrong with it.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

It's especially tricky if the lake house is owned by other people. It's a significantly bigger investment and also subject to wear and tear, so they may see not sharing your boat as a little unfair. Especially if there aren't other boats available to use.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

That's exactly it John. We've all kind of shared boats in the past but this one is different.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I wonder if you could somehow arrange for another boat to be available? Not saying rent one exactly, but maybe encourage someone else in the family to bring one, or some such thing? Then again, renting a boat for a month may not be that much more expensive than repairing the dings I got last summer in my Volvo stainless duo props...
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ok I had my wife read this and I guess I know why we are married and she thinks the same as me. You family should understand. If your not there the boat stays on the lift. I have stayed at both my brothers places on the water for the last 30 years and would never have a issue with them getting mad. Good luck on your decision.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

That's the same conclusion the wife and I came to... might be some bruised egos but at least I'll only be paying for my own mistakes, not theirs.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL