Regal Boats and General Competition

Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Regal boats and general competition

Post by Table Rockin »

Bored at home watching youtube videos of other boats. This regal for example (see below) has some nice features like a bow thruster, a 9' beam and the interior layout seems generally roomy. It also appears they are stealing cobalts interior design materials. Lots of similar looks. And their swim step is electronically powered. It suffers in areas for sure but am always just curious of other mfg new boats. Gotta love competition.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... HSf_Jj3BCH
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Regal boats and general competition

Post by AsLan7 »

Table Rockin wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:30 pm Bored at home watching youtube videos of other boats. This regal for example (see below) has some nice features like a bow thruster, a 9' beam and the interior layout seems generally roomy. It also appears they are stealing cobalts interior design materials. Lots of similar looks. And their swim step is electronically powered. It suffers in areas for sure but am always just curious of other mfg new boats. Gotta love competition.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... HSf_Jj3BCH

I’ve always liked the Regal product line and that boat is a beauty TR. The center walk through layouts provide the most spacious cockpit seating IMHO.

Some other thoughts...

Bow thrusters and electric swim platform—very cool. Would like to see it raise a little faster. I wonder if there is a reminder light on the helm to warn you if you’ve left it down before getting underway. 🤔

Cup holders could be better designed as you try to tuck your drinks in and out of those narrow openings. A boat like that also deserves LCD displays like Tuscany’s R7.

9’ beam makes it illegal to trailer in most states (8’6” limit) without a special permit.

Overall though it’s a very nice product and probably rides ALMOST as well as a Cobalt. :D

Like you, we love competition as the consumer benefits in the end.

Thx for posting. 👍🏻

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Agree.
Nice boat. maybe a second choice to the Cobalt, and some better ideas. Definitely more useable room in the seating area.
I would really REALLY like that bow thruster..
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

So the Regal 2800 has a 9ft beam but I wonder if the interior space is actually wider than an R7. I can tell you stepping on an R7 from my 262 with the same 8ft 6in beam. The R7 feels like a 9.5-10ft beam.

When I first started looking at newer boats I was sold on a slightly used A28 because I wanted the hydraulic swim platform in the worst way. But the more I thought about it I just view it as something else that would go out and cost a ton to fix.

I don't think the Regal has much of a "electric swim platform". It is more of an electric swim step. They probably just call it a swim platform so they do not get sued by Cobalt. :lol:

I agree with A7 as well. For that kind of pocket change. The Regal should have at least 1 Garmin if not a complete digital dash.

I remember from the boat show last year that I liked the looks of the newer Regals but the fit and finish just wasn't up to par with Cobalt. I tried lifting a few seats to see the storage areas and moved around a few of the cushions and you could just tell a few corners were cut here and there. I still don't think I could ever make the slight step down to a Regal after owning a Cobalt.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Thats a nice boat but that grey swimdeck is hard to keep clean. And the cupholders will only work if your cup is empty, otherwise you'll spill anything trying to get into that small space on the gunnel. I do like that it has bowthrusters though!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Yea I guess I'm a Cobalt snob. They are taking some credits from Cobalt. The stainless tubing on top of the seats. The material is close. I don't think it will feel as wide as the R7 either. It's tight between the captains and pass seat. The power step is ugly and noisy and I don't know where that motor is but I hear trouble. Leds I like but I'm not putting more holes in mine yet. Just might though. The dash looks cheap. The Sea Ray was the same way but cheaper.
Admins maybe move this to the comparison threads?
Nice vid. TR.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Yeah, the dash looks blah... The rear facing seats have an odd length. Too short to stretch out and too long to kick back? And that power motor on the swim step does sound odd.

Guess I'm a Persnickety Cobalt Sunnybeach Snob too.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Tuscany wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:52 am Agree.
Nice boat. maybe a second choice to the Cobalt, and some better ideas. Definitely more useable room in the seating area.
I would really REALLY like that bow thruster..
That bow thruster makes sense (shes got a big wind catching nose) as the only offering from Regal in twins is the 33 (even then it only offers small blocks). I admire that they add railings to seat tops to prevent mooring and cockpit cover rubbing and burn on the seat fabrics.. event up front.

I loce the stepped hull as that can air them out.Just imagine that 2800 with twin 430hp.
Big Block Power wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:55 am Yea I guess I'm a Cobalt snob. They are taking some credits from Cobalt. The stainless tubing on top of the seats. The material is close. I don't think it will feel as wide as the R7 either. It's tight between the captains and pass seat. The power step is ugly and noisy and I don't know where that motor is but I hear trouble. Leds I like but I'm not putting more holes in mine yet. Just might though. The dash looks cheap. The Sea Ray was the same way but cheaper.
Nice vid. TR.
Like all of us being used to fit and Finish of a Cobalt it even looks noticeably different on a video. Whats the point of that tiny hydraulic step. Cobalt has the family size version on the A and my future R30 that goes the whole width.
Ytmsn wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:02 am
Guess I'm a Persnickety Cobalt Sunnybeach Snob too.
Right there with you.. like the rest of us Pal!!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

My biggest take away here is that cobalts competition is obviously taking cues from their interior stylings. Imitation of course the sincerest form of flattery. And they are adding other features not common on a boat its size. Checked out the website...you cant price an msrp, you have to request a quote. But that thing weighs almost 1000 pounds more than the R7 and is about 8 inches longer. Oh....and it has a grill option 😉
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:55 am
Done...thx bbp.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Dropped Anchor
Captain
Captain

Re: Regal Boats and General Competition

Post by Dropped Anchor »

While waiting for my boat I looked up some videos of Regal and came across the Regal Fasdeck22. I was pretty blown away by the amount of boat for the money. But really, for me, I didn’t like how high it sits up and there is really no splash deck in the back. After consulting with some knowledgeable folks, they said the Cobalt is a far superior boat. So I went from buyers remorse back to elation in just a couple hours. Ha!
2019 CS22
240 DP

Lake Martin, AL
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

Regals are very nice boats, always have been. It was in consideration when we were looking based on a neighbors 2800. Having spent time on both now, Cobalt hands down. Amenities are similar, but build quality in the Cobalt is superior.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

akorcovelos wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:51 pm Regals are very nice boats, always have been. It was in consideration when we were looking based on a neighbors 2800. Having spent time on both now, Cobalt hands down. Amenities are similar, but build quality in the Cobalt is superior.
Regal also is still hung up on the stepped hulls. I know stepped is the way to go for top end speed but you lose ride comfort. Cobalt only made one stepped hull in the past 20+ years and it was the 343.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I seem to recall Cobalt saying that handling suffered too much with a stepped hull, and they didn’t plan to make another one.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Hello to all.
After loving our entry level Caravelle 187BR for nine yet, we made the mistake of attending a boat show in March.

I’ve loved everything about a Colbalt from seeing them on our lake, and dreamed of getting one. However, at that boat show, I was impressed by the Regal line. We started looking at late model Cobalt and Regal boats. One weekend in April, I made a trip to Lake Lanier in Georgia and tried used Regal 2500 and Regal 22 FasDeck. Something about the way the boat throttled wasn’t as good as my old boat. The next day I drove my first Cobalt. Loved it, but owners had kept it at lake without a lift, so no way.

Our local Regal dealer had a 2015 Regal 24 FasDeck which we had was fully loaded with great features. Loved the layout, size, colors, arch, etc. We tested it and had the same throttle feeling. Plus, even though interior was good quality, materials weren’t as nice as Cobalt. My wife noticed things like the seat cushions were hard. Plus while testing, a face plate on one of the speakers came off.

The next day I tested Cobalt 243, loved it. Very responsive, loved size, but the seller had not taken good care of interior so we backed off.

All this looking, travel to find deals on used Cobalts was starting to cost a lot. My wife broke down and we went to local Greers Ferry Lake dealer and had them drop a brand new 2019 R3 into the lake and we drove off into the sunset.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS