Trailer equipment

thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Trailer equipment

Post by thunder550 »

I put Boat Buckles on mine, absolutely love them. Agree with BBP, I won't have another trailer without them.
IMG_20171026_132017.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Ytmsn wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:07 pm I never use transom tie downs.

Let the flaming begin..
Ha

Not good having your baby bouncing on the trailer bunks when you hit a bump or pothole, Ytmsn.

In any event, if you go the retractable route, make sure they are rated to handle the weight of your boat.

Most of the retractable ones are for boats less than 5000 pounds. Each tie down is rated at a max of 2500 pounds each. Stainless are rated for only 1500 pounds each. (3000 total)

Your empty weight is 4,700 pounds. Loaded up you are pushing 6,000 pounds. Thus look for straps rated for at least 3,000 pounds each. Mine (non-retractable) do 7000 pounds.

Last edited by AsLan7 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Let the flaming begin..
Yep your crazy buddy. We towed a boat to table rock and back and on the last turn to my buddies house I was driving and I turned the corner and I saw the under side of the Hull in the mirror and felt it slam down on the trailer. I was like holy crap. Never again strap them down.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

I gotta admit I didn't even look at the ratings when I bought them. Just checked mine (BoatBuckle G2) and they are 500 working load 1500 breaking strength. Need to do some research and find out what capacity should be, I can't imagine that they need to support the entire weight of the boat. Might need more than I have though.
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Here's a quote from etrailer tech:
Boat tie-downs are designed for normal highway driving. The purpose of most boat tie-downs is to strap the lightest object to the heaviest object, meaning you will want to choose a tie-down with a break strength that exceeds the weight of the lightest object.

For example, if your boat weighs 4,000 lbs and your trailer weighs 2,000 lbs, you will want to choose a tie-down strap with a break strength that exceeds the weight of the trailer. This ensures that the boat does not jump off of the trailer if you run over bumps or potholes. You could always go with straps that have greater break strengths, but if you are in a severe accident, very few straps could handle the forces that are created when the boat tries to leave the trailer, especially with bigger and heavier boats.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-87989.html
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I completely hear what A7 is saying. I've never seen one break. Not sure what the working force is. It would be worth calling reese or boat buckle to find out. Nice find t550. I rather have a piece of rope then nothing at all. If you look at your winch strap rating you will be shocked there too. Maybe 2500 lbs pulling strength. I switched mine to 6000 lbs. I have a fear of it snapping and hitting me in the face.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Let the flaming begin..
Ok YT would not strap a car down on a trailer? I could see maybe not in a short block trip to the launch but it it could only take one corner or a good bump and there it goes. My brother dumped his boat at the lake going to the launch. Down a hill and then a turn. So yes mine don't come off till I'm at the ramp.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

I agree.. YT wouldn't go strapless.. I believe someone has hacked his Log in and password.

Yep that's explains it... I feel better
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

cmattj wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:30 pm I agree.. YT wouldn't go strapless.. I believe someone has hacked his Log in and password.

Yep that's explains it... I feel better
Is this Deb again?
Or drinking or smoking some "Pot the Jus"
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Yeah well, I just never have. On my car hauler I use a strap in the front and one in the back. Pulled hundreds of cars and trucks hundreds of miles.

Ah well. It gives you girls something to talk about!😁
Besides, I wouldn't dare tow my boat with some of the pew pew vehicles you guys are using either!

Let the flaming continue..
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I never used them with my Chaparral, mainly because the cheap trailer/boat transom loops didn’t provide a decent mounting point where they would have had leverage to hold. I was always on pins and needles towing.

I ordered three boatbuckles on the new one. One on the bow, and two mounted next to the tail lights.
So fast and easy to use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Okay, I like that Tusc. When I grow up I want to be like you.

Except for the living in the frozen snowy part of the world. On that account I sooo don't want to be like you!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Good call!
Trust me brother, you DONT want to be stuck here in the winter.🌬🌬🌬💀☃️⛄️😭😭😭
There was really no place to anchor my old boat to my old trailer. Ever look close at a Shorelandr? Or the rear of an older Sunesta. And I was a little lazy because we don’t tow far.
No place to tie and anchor straight down that would really hold it. Truth be told, if it went flying off into a ditch..well...

Speaking liability wise, you probably should add a couple of these things to your set up. Boat Buckles are a sweet design.
Too many noon time lawyers advertising to sue in case of an accident. With buckles, you can’t be accused of not securing your boat.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Tusc, that brings up a good question. How many of you use bow tie downs? The way mine loads on the trailer with the winch strap and hook under the bow roller, I don't see how the bow could bounce at all. But I do see a decent amount of people using them.
hoghead54
Captain
Captain

Post by hoghead54 »

The original owner of my boat had a trailer of some sort that he towed 2 wave runners behind the boat and that trailer hooked up to....somehow...2 receiver hitch tubes welded to the frame rails. What if I used them, maybe putting a piece of square tube in them to get the tie down back far enough that it won't rub on the transom? As rough as the roads are here i'd really rather not have a strap rubbing on the hull taking off the gel coat.