A28 vs R5 vs 262 vs 26 SD

pwjoshua
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

A28 vs R5 vs 262 vs 26 SD

Post by pwjoshua »

I’ve been researching and these seem to be the four best options. Once we decided on Cobalt, the requirements are: at least 26’, has a head, and has a swim platform (pretty basic requirements). Does anyone have a strong opinion on pros/cons when comparing these models?

Thanks in advance.
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: A28 vs R5 vs 262 vs 26 SD

Post by tgrace98 »

Do you mean R7? Because the R5 is 25ft 8in.

Anyways I will give you my 2 cents since I have owned an R7 and a 262.

The 262 Pre 2009 was one of the best hulls Cobalt ever made. It has amazing ride quality and with a 496 (Merc or Volvo) will reach mid 50's to almost 60mph depending on if you get the HO. It has the center walk through and is great for spreading out the weight. I loved mine and only got rid of it because I was ready for a new model that would be less maintenance and care.

R7 - Ride quality is better than the 262. With 900lbs more of weight and a taller freeboard it takes on large wake a lot better than the 262. While it is not as nimble it still does not drive like a 27 almost 28ft boat. The R7 has all the new technologies EVC or DTS depending on merc or Volvo. Volvo's have closed cooled motors. Double garmins if you go 17 or newer. Locking swim step, folding tower and the list goes on.

A28 - I cannot comment on this besides that I looked at them I ruled it out pretty quickly due to the price. The A28 is a 5 piece hull and was very expensive for cobalt to manufacture. They come with the hydraulic swim platfrom and a few other amenities you will not find on an R7. It was an earlier design so it doesn't have some of the new technologies. Also with them being 28ft you are getting to the point where twins might be better for this boat. Docking an R7 in a crosswind can be challenging enough on its own. But the longer a boat gets the more it needs twins.

The reason I ruled out the A28 is because I could get a brand new R7 for less than a 2-3 year old A28 and the R7 had newer technology and features than the A28.

26SD- this was never on my radar so I cannot comment on these. Seems like they are popular in salt water applications but not to much for fresh water. Again could just be my 2 cents so take it with a grain of salt.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

pwjoshua wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:45 am I’ve been researching and these seem to be the four best options. Once we decided on Cobalt, the requirements are: at least 26’, has a head, and has a swim platform (pretty basic requirements). Does anyone have a strong opinion on pros/cons when comparing these models?

Thanks in advance.
Those are all great models Pwj. The R7 may be more appropriate in this category.

I can only speak for the 2000-2007 run of the 260 series hull.

It’s hard to beat the deep vee hull ride, hole shot, top speed, maneuverability, versatility,, trailerability, yacht certification, storage capacity, extended swim platforms, and looks of a fully loaded 262 with the stainless wakeboard arch. It’s one of the best to come out of the world headquarters in Neodesha . :D

Plus the center walk thru transom allows for true horseshoe style seating which allows for maximum riders while also keeping the load balanced....especially helpful in a deep vee hull. 👌🏻

The major downsides:
1) This 260 series is out of warranty.
2) Since she’s over 7 years old certain parts (mainly cushions) can be difficult to come by.
3) It doesn’t have the latest LCD technology at the helm.

Other than that, it’s the total package all wrapped up in one. Heck of a machine. Go get yourself one. (although FULLY loaded 262’s with the STAINLESS wakeboard arch are unicorns). 8-)

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
pwjoshua
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pwjoshua »

Thanks, both! Amazing feedback and very helpful. I did mean an R5, although acknowledge it is shorter than 26 ft. The R5 seems to get most of what I need and is cheaper than the R7, while still having all the same benefits of newer technology in the R7.

I should have clarified, but think the swim platform only became an option in 2011 so anything pre-2011 wouldn't work.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Just like a can of tuna fish has shrunk over the years, boat hull size are now smaller than advertised. Somehow, hull size includes the swim platform.
So to clear up the confusion of what exactly you are buying..
R3 21’
R5 23’
R7 25 1/2’

Cobalt isn’t alone. Other manufacturers are also adding a “cheap” two feet to their actual hull sizes.

JMO.
A series? Discontinued and becoming dated. The hull still has its fans.
R Series? Latest designed hull and the most popular.
262? See A series.
26’ SD series? This hull has been around for a while. Probably will be replaced soon.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
pwjoshua
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pwjoshua »

Thanks for the feedback. The reason we like the A28 is because it has the hydraulic swim step, so easy for wife and kids to put up and down if I’m not on the boat. Can anyone comment on ease of use for other swim steps? Can kids put up and down (or smaller females)? Or, is the hydraulic swim step an option on models other than A28?
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

pwjoshua wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:43 pm Thanks for the feedback. The reason we like the A28 is because it has the hydraulic swim step, so easy for wife and kids to put up and down if I’m not on the boat. Can anyone comment on ease of use for other swim steps? Can kids put up and down (or smaller females)? Or, is the hydraulic swim step an option on models other than A28?
Swim step is easy to put down and back up to locking position. Just a pull of a lever and it looses to flip and the same to put back. It weighs about 5-10lbs
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
pwjoshua
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by pwjoshua »

Thank you. Good to know. Might not need to be so restrictive looking only at the A28. Seems like R7 or 276 might also be options.