Corsa leak....

AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Corsa leak....

Post by AsLan7 »

I noticed a leak coming from the port side of my CC butterfly valve shaft yesterday. Roughly two drops per second when the exhaust is routed thru the prop. No leaking when the valve is open routing exhaust thru the transom pipes.

Simple solution...just run with them open all the time. :D

Or

I’m going to replace the O’ rings. Corsa customer support is fantastic. I left a message for Damien in marine technical support who called me back within the hour. 440-891-0999.

Corsa is sending me the rubber O’ rings with instructions on how to replace at no cost. It’s not too difficult really. Just take out the diverter pipe after unscrewing the hose clamps. Unscrew the butterfly valve screws which will allow the shaft to slide out once the butterfly valve is removed. Replace O’rings and then reinstall.

Damien mentioned it’s ok to switch back and forth from thru-hull to prop at anything less than 3,000 RPM. Above that, the stress put on the O rings or shaft can be harmful. I think I may have had a couple of runs switching exhaust notes above 3,000. :D

49005622-31AF-4774-B12B-B1CA34BF8641.jpeg

25EFBA8C-D21D-4DD1-BCF3-D98C3A3F5175.jpeg

7B8D7ED4-3E3F-4C81-806C-E4D3E131FF46.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Corsa leak....

Post by cmattj »

Great info and awesome video buddy! I’m gonna have to take a peek as well!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

No problem here, mine are always open, lol.

Great to know the support is there when I need it!
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

A7 that's who is helping me with mine. Nice guy. Yes I heard of those going bad. That's cool they are sending them for free. But your system isn't very old.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
smokymance
Commander
Commander

Post by smokymance »

A7, how fast do your flappers open and close?. what condition are your actuator boots in? My port side wasn’t opening very smoothly and would get stuck. Upon inspection the boots were in rough shape and almost deteriorating. Holes on them allowed all kind of dirt inside so I took them off, cleaned the actuator shafts, lubed them a tad and they seem to work smooth now. I’m just worried they are exposed w no boots now. Might have to call Corsa to see if they sell these boots separately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2003 Cobalt 263 8.1L GXi
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

I would order replacement boots, condensation and dust will gum up that shaft right quick.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
smokymance
Commander
Commander

Post by smokymance »

Agreed. Can’t seem to find them separate online. Call to corsa might answer if they are sold separately. I recall my seadoo had boots for the trim housing. W the right dimensions this style can maybe adapted.
2003 Cobalt 263 8.1L GXi
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

smokymance wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:41 pm A7, how fast do your flappers open and close?. what condition are your actuator boots in? My port side wasn’t opening very smoothly and would get stuck. Upon inspection the boots were in rough shape and almost deteriorating. Holes on them allowed all kind of dirt inside so I took them off, cleaned the actuator shafts, lubed them a tad and they seem to work smooth now. I’m just worried they are exposed w no boots now. Might have to call Corsa to see if they sell these boots separately.
Mine open and close at a snap. The boots look to be in good shape but I'll keep an eye on them. Good to know.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I never saw them on the site but yes call or email them.
Side note can you take a picture of how much clearance you have under your S curve where the S is above your steering linkage.
I think you have a Volvo correct? That's the only place I'm worried on mine. Also where your tips come through the transom are they going upwards on a angle to connect to the S pipes?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
smokymance
Commander
Commander

Post by smokymance »

BBP. Yes. I have the Volvo. The engine manifold risers look to be little lower than the mercs but they do have a slight angle before they exit out back. Is your worry that the setup is too horizontal for water entry ? I have these pics for now even tho you can’t see much, but I can shoot a side pic for you when I get in there.
2003 Cobalt 263 8.1L GXi
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

No my worry is clearance between the S and the steering linkage under it. Mine is super tight. Also can you take a picture of the tips from outside. I think the 262 263 has a bunch more room then mine when I looked at YT's.
I noticed they welded your S right to the diverter pipes. I could get that done now seeing yours but I have the rubber hoses so that might help with the room I have. More pictures the better. Yours is the first gxi I have seen so that helps. Thanks.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Just run them up through the engine hatch. Don't worry about all those complicated S bends, you're unnecessarily complicating things.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

thunder550 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:26 am Just run them up through the engine hatch. Don't worry about all those complicated S bends, you're unnecessarily complicating things.
Thanks for the idea!! Not!!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »