Trailer

Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Trailer

Post by Tuscany »

Ytmsn wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:55 am I think there might be a little suthern boy in you Tusc! Throw in a little bailing wire too. You can fix ANYthing with ductape and wire!
Damn right!
No southern genes, I live near Buffalo, NY.. but some of us nawtherners are skilled in the art of bailing wire, duct tape, and gorilla glue. Toss in a pipe wrench and a 6 way screw driver and we can fix anything.. :mrgreen:

I used to drive semi in my 20's, and learned how to stay on the road way back when.... :idea:
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Seeing that we are on a trailer subject. I dislike my 6 bunk trailer. I've only loaded it 4 times and everytime is loaded crooked. There is just no room for errors. So I have it sold to a guy I met on ebay looking at my bow filler cushion. If I want to sell it. I hate sending money on stuff I really don't need because it is a nice trailer other than that. Well I can get a brand new Eagle trailer for about $1200 more. There are plenty of other things I can spend a grand on. My wife doesn't know what I'm thinking yet. I'm waiting to see how it loads this weekend also to see if it pisses me off some more. I have some valid points to help talk her into it though. Plus she normally doesn't care stay I do with the boat.lol
What are your guys thoughts.
Keep it out sell it?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Keep it.
Easy fix.
I think that you should invest a couple hundred in a set of load guides. If you are really pissed off, buy two sets for front and back. That will center you in a hurricane. Also tip your outer bunks in a tad to help stop the drift.

You are not alone.
IMO, Bunks aren't your problem. Wind, current, ramps that are not level, yada yada...
I unload and load every time I boat. Our two bunk Shorelandr could be a nightmare to center the boat, or I could hit it perfectly. Most of the time, I would have to back down the ramp and refloat the boat in hopes it would center. :x I hated it, and I didn't like the fact that my total boat was sttting on a few square feet of support. If one cheap 2 X 6 broke, there would be damage to the hull from the steel bunk mounts. Vertical mounted bunks change the weight per sq ft ratio on the hull x 4.
My favorite Lake Erie launch spot is new, but I swear the ramps are not level, and I couldn't center the boat for the life of me. Always floated to the right. Our Chautauqua lake launch spot was also very nice, and my luck Was 50-50 there
Last edited by Tuscany on Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I launch at the same crappy launch every time. The last 4 or 5 boats all with 4 bunks never had a issue. No matter what cross wind I have. You could always feel the boat try to center itself. This trailer no way. I can be dead on and it loads bad. You would think with more bunks the better but nope. I have other guys with the same set up as I and have the same issue. I hear you on the guide set up but I'm not for them. Just a matter of looks to me. I know sounds bad but that's me. Plus not sure I could mount them that easy on this trailer. I think it's from the two easy inner ones you can't see hear. You would think the chimes would keep it in line. I would take those two bunks off but then you have the welded brackets in your way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Well, if you are worried about looks, you may not solve your problem totally...on any trailer.
Cheap and complete fix. I am sure you can mount a set on that wagon.
Looking at your trailer you have welded bunk mounts. That's a problem. Are the mounts directly under the bunks welded also?
Doesn't that top bunk fit the strake? That should definitely stop drift.
Last edited by Tuscany on Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Look at the trailer next to mine. Two sets. Big ones. I never thought of them as detracting. JMO, People are admiring your Cobalt, and aren't looking at your guides.
It's an easy problem to solve. Everyone has the same issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tuscany on Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yea on each side on the top bunk it has about a inch of play. It should fall into place. Yes there all welded.
The boat will load on top of that last strake and that really tilts the boat. I can't rock it off by pushing on the boat ether.here's a picture from the rear of all three bunks.
Last edited by Big Block Power on Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

How far does it drift off?
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

I know this maybe a dumb question, but are you backing the trailer in too far ?
2018 r5
2003 220
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I've played with that also. If it goes in too far it is worse. Don't go in far enough you can't power it on and crank it up to the winch post. The boat seems to stick to all of these bunks like glue. B how are you liking your trailer so far? I'll launch Friday from where you do. I'll see if that matters.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

I heard of a guy that had your sticking problem. He launch his boat and after the bunks dried he sprayed them with silicon . Not sure if that works long term.
Love my trailer. But I do not power load.
When you launch Friday stay away from the launch farthest North. I had a problem with the trailer sitting flat in that one.
2018 r5
2003 220
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

I thought of one more thing. With the boat off the trailer you could take brush and clean all the organic materials out of the bunks.
2018 r5
2003 220
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I have to replace some of the bunk carpet anyways so if I keep it that will be done over the 4th when the boat sits in the water all week.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

On looking at my heritage trailer from last year. 4 bunks. I think it's the outer bunk that is my issue. The other two are kind of the same. I'm going to have to look now.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Two more.
Eagle doesn't put one on the far outside either.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!