Purchasing Discounts

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Purchasing Discounts

Post by Tuscany »

tgrace98 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:41 pm While I love how this thread has turned into the I’m the best negotiator because I got xx% off. There are more factors to purchasing than the up front purchase. Especially since boats are usually kept for 10 years or more. I probably could have saved myself a few points by finding a dealer out of state to sell me a boat. But then I’m hauling it all the way back to them for a warranty claim. I think that is something the OP should consider. I bought mine from the place I actually keep my boat at. I love the fact I can call them when I’m away for the week and have them service my boat and it’s back on my lift before I even get back to town. And I seem to get in for service a lot faster than Johnny off the street. Little things like that made it all worth while to me.
TG,
No one is claiming that one is a better negotiator than another. We are all friends and I certainly don’t want to offend you or anyone else. I do plan on coming down to TR and eating Cheetos on your boat while I watch Matt spill some lemonade to wash it all down..🍻

I learn and enjoy the different experiences from the guys and gal on this site, including you, and I get the straight answers to my questions.
I think we all fully understand your market and the tough servicing challenges it presents, but it’s an inconsistent marketplace throughout the country with different challenges. Some are less challenging, some are impossible if your mind is made up on a brand. I get that.

The topic of the thread was Purchasing Discounts. I’m not apologetic about sharing anything I can when it comes to saving the OP or anyone else looking to buy a new boat potentially tens of thousands of dollars if possible, and IMO, reminding people that the checkbook at the ready carries all of the leverage needed if you let it. Will that approach work everywhere? No, but my personality allows me to walk away without looking back, And it usually ends in my phone ringing to make a final agreement.
I think the one take away that many have learned is the “best negotiator” collects as much information about the dealer cost of the product as possible, then decides if one is comfortable with the dealer profit/depreciation is represents. That should result in a number one is willing to pay, and that number is different for everyone.
Last edited by Tuscany on Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

Tuscany wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:24 am
tgrace98 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:41 pm While I love how this thread has turned into the I’m the best negotiator because I got xx% off. There are more factors to purchasing than the up front purchase. Especially since boats are usually kept for 10 years or more. I probably could have saved myself a few points by finding a dealer out of state to sell me a boat. But then I’m hauling it all the way back to them for a warranty claim. I think that is something the OP should consider. I bought mine from the place I actually keep my boat at. I love the fact I can call them when I’m away for the week and have them service my boat and it’s back on my lift before I even get back to town. And I seem to get in for service a lot faster than Johnny off the street. Little things like that made it all worth while to me.
TG,
No one is claiming that one is a better negotiator than another. We are all friends and I certainly don’t want to offend you or anyone else. I do plan on coming down to TR and eating Cheetos on your boat while I watch Matt spill some lemonade to wash it all down..🍻

I learn and enjoy the different experiences from the guys and gal on this site, including you, and I get the straight answers to my questions.
I think we all fully understand your market and the tough servicing challenges it presents, but it’s an inconsistent marketplace throughout the country with different challenges. Some are less challenging, some are impossible if your mind is made up on a brand. I get that.

The topic of the thread was Purchasing Discounts. I’m not apologetic about sharing anything I can when it comes to saving the OP or anyone else looking to buy a new boat potentially tens of thousands of dollars if possible, and IMO, reminding people that the checkbook carries all of the leverage needed if you let it. Will that approach work everywhere? No, but my personality allows me to walk away without looking back, so it usually works for me.
I think the one take away that many have learned is the “best negotiator” collects as much information about the dealer cost of the product as possible, then decides if one is comfortable with the dealer profit/depreciation is represents. That should result in a number one is willing to pay, and that number is different for everyone.

Haha T you are welcome anytime! I just ask that a cooler full of the Tucany meats finest comes along :D . I by no means was singling you out. I had just noticed a few comments where people talked about driving wherever to get the best price. When I was just pointing out the fact that people need to factor total cost of ownership.

You for sure helped me seal my deal as I thought the first offer the 3 dealers around me sent was a good offer. Turns out that was just the starting point and I was able to wiggle my way into what I thought was a great deal for my region. So for that I thank ya!
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

TG, it depends on how much coffee I drink. Coffee-ed up or when young entitled employees piss me off can come off... rough. It’s a constant internal battle.🤣
My apologies if I sounded preachy.

And I will meat everyone to death where the meat sweats will be part of the day.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
smashboat
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by smashboat »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:50 pm
ajcampen wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:01 pm
smashboat wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:42 pm I'm wondering what type of discounts I should be getting on a 2020 R5.
Retail for the boat is $160.689, right off the bat the dealer gave me a price of $135,937 & an additional $1500 off for the End of Summer Cobalt sale. Should I be asking for more off? If so how much?
They are also including
Bottom paint
Coast guard Pack
Full Detail
Full tank of gas
5 hours of lessons
Outdrive paint
Rigging
Should I ask for any toys?
Im wrapping this up on Tuesday, I want to make sure I get the best possible deal
Thanks!!
It’s tuesday what happened?
Oh you missed so much. Lol
Better yet what engine did you order?
v8-350
smashboat
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by smashboat »

ajcampen wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:55 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:50 pm
ajcampen wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:01 pm
It’s tuesday what happened?
Oh you missed so much. Lol
Better yet what engine did you order?
I followed. I thought he was supposed to finalize purchase today
Im finalizing today. MSRP was $160,689 and he is giving it to me for $131,528 pus he didn't charge me for the paint upcharge (I feel like I failed as I didnt even get 20% Off)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Buck TF up...
It’s late in the season.. R 4/6/8 coming.
Make another phone call and explain 25% off is what you can write the check for.. 120,500.00, and you will be in today to buy it.
You can thank me later.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
smashboat
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by smashboat »

Tuscany wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:14 am Buck TF up...
Make another phone call and explain 25% off is what you can write the check for.. 120,500.00, and you will be in today to buy it.
You can thank me later.
They thought I was nuts...they didnt come close :(
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

If you are comfortable with the deal then I think that is all that matters. Just remember though once they scrape up that hull and put bottom paint on it. 70% of the market will not want it. Bottom paint on a 25ft boat is a turn off to the majority of the boating population.
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
smashboat
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by smashboat »

tgrace98 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:36 am If you are comfortable with the deal then I think that is all that matters. Just remember though once they scrape up that hull and put bottom paint on it. 70% of the market will not want it. Bottom paint on a 25ft boat is a turn off to the majority of the boating population.
I dont get it, isnt bottom paint something needed
Southerncomfort
Commander
Commander

Post by Southerncomfort »

Just walk, (I know that is a easy thing to say and a hard thing to do), Wait until later this fall October or November and I am betting they will more than willing to make that price work.
2011 Cobalt 296
Twin Volvo 8.1 GXi
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

smashboat wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:43 am
Tuscany wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:14 am Buck TF up...
You can thank me later.
They thought I was nuts...they didnt come close :(
Totally agree! While we cant know for sure, I would bet that if you do what Tuscany says, you'll get it. Would suggest a couple of things though to make it easier. This is just what I would do - might not be right for you.

1. Come up with a "bad guy". Married? Use your wife. My wife says if I cant get the boat as we have equipped for 120k, no boat.
2. Make sure they know there is no middle ground. Tell them a nickel more than 120k, no boat.
3. As Tusc said, make sure they know if they meet your price, you will come do the deal today.
4. They must believe you are gonna walk if you dont get to 120k. You may very well have to say "Thanks anyway, appreciate your time, and sorry we couldn't make a deal". Then leave. You can always change your mind in a couple days.

If the extra savings don't matter to you, and you see the value as is, go for it. If the savings do matter, give it a shot - worst case you buy the boat in a couple days at the same price.
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

smashboat wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:40 am
tgrace98 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:36 am If you are comfortable with the deal then I think that is all that matters. Just remember though once they scrape up that hull and put bottom paint on it. 70% of the market will not want it. Bottom paint on a 25ft boat is a turn off to the majority of the boating population.
Bottom paint is only put on boats that are left in the water all season. As in wet slipped. If you are putting it on a trailer or loading it up on a lift you do not need bottom paint. 90% of freshwater boats under 40ft do not have bottom paint.
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

tgrace98 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:32 pm
Bottom paint is only put on boats that are left in the water all season. As in wet slipped. If you are putting it on a trailer or loading it up on a lift you do not need bottom paint. 90% of freshwater boats under 40ft do not have bottom paint.
He is in Long Island, boat will prob be in a wet slip May to oct yearly
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
smashboat
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by smashboat »

ajcampen wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:35 pm
tgrace98 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:32 pm

He is in Long Island, boat will prob be in a wet slip May to oct yearly
100% correct but I'm a she :)
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Smash, if you're not in a big hurry to do some fall boating, it's easier to get good pricing from around Thanksgiving through New Year's. You may be the only Cobalt shopper they even see in December! Also, while there are some good reasons for working with your "local" dealer (after-sales service being the biggie), you may be able to save a big chunk of change by calling the next couple closest Cobalt dealers too. Even here in Minnesota, I talked to three before realizing the one right in town was the one that really wanted my business. Whatever you decide, I hope we've been at least a little helpful :)

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)