Engine Shaming

(non-boating; no politics!)
LuckyDog2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Engine Shaming

Post by LuckyDog2 »

First off, I would like to say that I have enjoyed this forum since joining in the spring. Both my husband and I have learned a few tips and tricks to make our boating time more enjoyable. We have both laughed til tears are streaming down our faces from the stories that have been told on here and the innocent banter back and forth between members. I read a few posts this week that I have now been stewing on and feel the need to say something. I really don't care "who" started it. The comments about 240 hp are just plain rude and unnecessary. WTF - are we in junior high? Are you going to shame me next since all we have is a 350 in our R5 (and no captains call)?

This is what's wrong, right now in our Country - too much tearing people down! I don't know the owner of the 240 hp NEW Cobalt, but I assume he is on the younger end of the group of members on this forum. I'm proud that he is out and about, enjoying life, instead of being a pajama boy in his parents basement.

Again, I would like to say out loud - NOT COOL!!!!

R
Eric & Robyn
LuckyDog2
2019 R5
Elmore City, OK
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Engine Shaming

Post by jhnmdahl »

As an owner of a 225 hp V8 Cobalt that I’m still making monthly payments on, and being NOT so young, I can say peak HP doesn’t mean a lot. Cobalt doesn’t really put undersized engines in their boats, and my duo prop pops the boat out of the water fast. And it’s all joking around in good fun in any event.

Which isn’t to say I’m not looking for an ECU to bump it up to 300 hp so I can burn fuel faster :)
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Lockey14s
Captain
Captain

Post by Lockey14s »

I did not read said comment, but i agree with you luckydog. We should be proud and support our fellow cobalt owners, not tear them down.
1978 19CD "Benny"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

LuckyDog2 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:01 am First off, I would like to say that I have enjoyed this forum since joining in the spring. Both my husband and I have learned a few tips and tricks to make our boating time more enjoyable. We have both laughed til tears are streaming down our faces from the stories that have been told on here and the innocent banter back and forth between members. I read a few posts this week that I have now been stewing on and feel the need to say something. I really don't care "who" started it. The comments about 240 hp are just plain rude and unnecessary. WTF - are we in junior high? Are you going to shame me next since all we have is a 350 in our R5 (and no captains call)?

This is what's wrong, right now in our Country - too much tearing people down! I don't know the owner of the 240 hp NEW Cobalt, but I assume he is on the younger end of the group of members on this forum. I'm proud that he is out and about, enjoying life, instead of being a pajama boy in his parents basement.

R
Not exactly sure which thread your talking about. 99% of what goes on here is all in fun. The 240 jokes goes back at least 6 months if not further. There's plenty of inside jokes your prob. Missing. Also a member came on and it went the wrong way. I'm sure you missed that posting as well. That's where most of this is coming from. Really didn't have much to do with a 240 but a little does. Sure some of this may be childish but mostly in fun. It's a pretty darn good core group and we hang pretty good together. But thanks for your comments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

LuckyDog2 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:01 am First off, I would like to say that I have enjoyed this forum since joining in the spring. Both my husband and I have learned a few tips and tricks to make our boating time more enjoyable. We have both laughed til tears are streaming down our faces from the stories that have been told on here and the innocent banter back and forth between members. I read a few posts this week that I have now been stewing on and feel the need to say something. I really don't care "who" started it. The comments about 240 hp are just plain rude and unnecessary. WTF - are we in junior high? Are you going to shame me next since all we have is a 350 in our R5 (and no captains call)?

R
Not exactly sure which thread your talking about. 99% of what goes on here is all in fun. The 240 jokes goes back at least 6 months if not further. There's plenty of inside jokes your prob. Missing. Also a member came on and it went the wrong way. I'm sure you missed that posting as well. That's where most of this is coming from. Really didn't have much to do with a 240 but a little does. Sure some of this may be childish but mostly in fun. It's a pretty darn good core group and we hang pretty good together. Plus Bob Rae and I go back and forth on engines and it's all in fun. He knows it as well. I dont think anyone is shaming a engine or what they can purchase. As that entry Level engine package in a cobalt cost more then my old clunker all day long. But thanks for your comments.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
LuckyDog2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by LuckyDog2 »

I have seen the origination of the 2 different posters that I’m referring to, going back many months. The posts in the last few days, IMO, crossed the line to a new level of snarkiness.

To each his own, though.
I’m just calling it as I see it and would be embarrassed if someone like Mr. St. Clair read them.
Eric & Robyn
LuckyDog2
2019 R5
Elmore City, OK
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

LuckyDog2 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:43 pm I have seen the origination of the 2 different posters that I’m referring to, going back many months. The posts in the last few days, IMO, crossed the line to a new level of snarkiness.

To each his own, though.
I’m just calling it as I see it and would be embarrassed if someone like Mr. St. Clair read them.
I am going to go out on a limb here and say you are referencing my post to Dropped Anchor. As BBP said there is a bit of history there, very little of which has anything to do /w the size of the engine in his boat. I hope you are ready to also be embarrassed when Mr. St Clair reads posts about girls dropping panties when they get in boats, because that happened just a few posts before I made a "snarky" comment about a V6.

I would argue a large part of what is wrong /w this country is how sensitive we have all become. It was a joke, and even if it wasn't why in the world should my opinion on minimum boat engine size trigger such a response?

Regardless, I apologize you somehow took offense to a post that was in no way directed to you. From now on I will recognize that all engines matter and are equally good.

But seriously who puts a 240hp V6 in a boat?
Last edited by NautiGirl on Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Currently Not a Boat Owner
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Nauti, well, since they discontinued the 225hp V8, the good engine options are somewhat limited.
LuckyDog2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by LuckyDog2 »

Wow - you guys really missed the point.

And ...I am not sensitive, triggered or offended...

Have a great day in Nauti world!
Eric & Robyn
LuckyDog2
2019 R5
Elmore City, OK
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:36 pm

R
Not exactly sure which thread your talking about. 99% of what goes on here is all in fun. The 240 jokes goes back at least 6 months if not further. There's plenty of inside jokes your prob. Missing. Also a member came on and it went the wrong way. I'm sure you missed that posting as well. That's where most of this is coming from. Really didn't have much to do with a 240 but a little does. Sure some of this may be childish but mostly in fun. It's a pretty darn good core group and we hang pretty good together. But thanks for your comments.
BBP I just want to let you know that I will no longer be talking to you. Your name implies that you have a big block V8 in your boat, and as a small block V8 owner I am offended.

I will talk to you again once you change your screen name to V6Power. Until then good day sir.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
KENTUCKY
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Interesting perspective as someone takes offense when no ones intent was to harm another member here.
Unfortunately in today’s social media it appears we choose how we feel based off what we read or how we interpret it.
See how easy it can be to misconstrued humor as being harmful... when no harm was intended?!

Am I a contributor to childish banter, and responses that are to be good fun??...you betcha.
Lucky.. it’s possible you may be seeing harmful or “shaming” intentions where none where given.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

LuckyDog2 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:01 am

R

OK, I am bored at work, lets do this. You want to call me out for shaming Dropped Anchor for the V6 in his boat then proceed to defend him, going as far as to say you are proud of him. My insensitive comments are no doubt tearing him down, when he is just out on his boat innocently trying enjoy life. NOT COOL!!! You say.

Here is the post that started the bad blood between me and Dropped Anchor. You will notice that he asks for pic's of my wife to make sure she is attractive enough to set foot on his boat, jokes that girls would be lining up and dropping their panties to step foot on his boat, and that he should not be held responsible for an unintended pregnancies that may happen when women are trying to compete for a ride.

So maybe not the nicest guy in the world? Maybe my small joke about his slow V6 powered boat wasn't the worst thing ever posted to this message board? And finally, maybe you shouldn't take offense to threads or comments that were not even directed at you? Maybe?

Untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
KENTUCKY
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

Really?
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
LuckyDog2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by LuckyDog2 »

I had seen those posts when we first joined the forum. Even read them to my husband. Crude, yes. But how many months ago was this? Can you not let it go and start fresh or do you enjoy playing the victim?

I am all for anybody getting out on the water with whatever means they can. It’s not beneath me to ride in a little flat bottom aluminum boat with a 40 hp old Johnson motor. You insinuated that a 240 was a joke. What impression does that give to other people that are wanting into the Cobalt family and that would be the most they could afford? It was just an ugly back at ya comment, to bad you couldn’t have just PM that to him.

Again, I’m assuming he’s young. When I was young, I did and said some pretty crappy stuff. Cringeworthy probably.

Sometimes we have to take the high road and let by-gones be by-gones.

Seriously...
Eric & Robyn
LuckyDog2
2019 R5
Elmore City, OK
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I think this thread serves a purpose, at least for now, but if there are other posts that are out of line, keep in mind
anybody can flag a post and I’ll take a look. Personal attacks generally aren't allowed, and I'll (or Aslan) will edit remove such things.