Prospective Cobalt Buyer - Looking for Advice

Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Prospective Cobalt Buyer - Looking for Advice

Post by Big Block Power »

Oh also what covers are you getting for it. I trailer all the time so we love the bow and cockpit cover.
So unless your sold on the hull colors my local dealer has 2 220s in stock.Why wait? http://www.shorelineboatcenter.com/Show ... NEW/Cobalt
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Bigblock makes a good point - check out seedealercost.com for an idea of how much wiggle room your dealer has. It's a lot.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

I would also definitely add docking lights if given the option - they look cool and I end up parking in the dark more than you'd think.

I would also have the dealer install the second battery - mine is nice and balanced, looks good and the difference between them doing and me doing it was like $80. I'll enjoy the 3 hours instead of grappling with wires.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Centex220
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Centex220 »

I recently took the plunge on a '17 220s, it's a great boat, you can't go wrong. Every 220 at my dealer had the Volvo DP with 280 v6, and it's also the most common power plant on boat trader nationwide by far. I couldn't justify an additional $3k for the v8. I came from owning nautiques and mastercrafts with big v8's and the 280 v6 hasn't had me wanting for power. It's midrange power is fantastic. It can certainly handle anything you'll throw at it. Barely broken in, it hits just under 50mph with the tower/bimini in place.

As far as fuel, I've put 8 hours on it and maybe burned 1/3 of tank and that is with a lot of high speed runs as per the break in. Coming from inboards, this is beyond my expectations, but maybe a function of the inherit inefficiency of inboard drive.

I have no doubt the 300 V8 is a great motor, but I wouldn't write off the v6 without a test drive, it will surprise you. No experience with the EVC, none of the boats at my dealer had it, but I remember seeing some details on the Volvo Penta website.

I ended up getting a tower, docking lights, fender mounts, upgraded stereo and dual batteries. The only reservation I have so far is the fender mounts. The boat sits too low relative to where they drill the holes, so you have to shorten your nice cobalt ropes a ridiculous amount to keep the fenders off the water and protecting the gelcoat. Hopefully that makes sense.

Consider the tower as well. Wasn't on my list originally, but really opens the boat interior up if you plan to use a Bimini. Very happy with the functionality and the look.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Interesting to hear what you said about the engine. New technology is getting so much better. Just think of what our 4 cyl engines used to be like in cars. Again I'm the wrong person to say not to get a v8. A test ride might be nice but not always able to get that done this time of year.
I would love to get the fender clips. It would be nice to tell the factory where to add them. Maybe if enough of you complain they will move them going forward? On my boat I'll just use the tower for the fender ropes. On my old one I used the binimi clips. There's never a cleat in a good spot to hold fenders.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

Centex220 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:35 pm I recently took the plunge on a '17 220s, it's a great boat, you can't go wrong. Every 220 at my dealer had the Volvo DP with 280 v6, and it's also the most common power plant on boat trader nationwide by far. I couldn't justify an additional $3k for the v8. I came from owning nautiques and mastercrafts with big v8's and the 280 v6 hasn't had me wanting for power. It's midrange power is fantastic. It can certainly handle anything you'll throw at it. Barely broken in, it hits just under 50mph with the tower/bimini in place.

As far as fuel, I've put 8 hours on it and maybe burned 1/3 of tank and that is with a lot of high speed runs as per the break in. Coming from inboards, this is beyond my expectations, but maybe a function of the inherit inefficiency of inboard drive.

I have no doubt the 300 V8 is a great motor, but I wouldn't write off the v6 without a test drive, it will surprise you. No experience with the EVC, none of the boats at my dealer had it, but I remember seeing some details on the Volvo Penta website.

I ended up getting a tower, docking lights, fender mounts, upgraded stereo and dual batteries. The only reservation I have so far is the fender mounts. The boat sits too low relative to where they drill the holes, so you have to shorten your nice cobalt ropes a ridiculous amount to keep the fenders off the water and protecting the gelcoat. Hopefully that makes sense.

Consider the tower as well. Wasn't on my list originally, but really opens the boat interior up if you plan to use a Bimini. Very happy with the functionality and the look.
Thanks for the info. Was yours one the dealer already had, or did you order it?

Which stereo upgrade did you do? What did it gain you?

I have seen some fender mounts very similar to the Cobalt ones for about $50 each online, so I'm thinking I may try them over the Cobalt option, at less than half the price.

Do you have any photos? What gel coat color combo and interior color did you get?
2018 Cobalt CS22
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Like he's saying pictures or it didn't happen.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Centex220
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Centex220 »

Ha, I attached a few pics as "proof." :D
The pics arent great though, taken when I was first setting her up, it's been raining almost every day since. I fully expect the rain to continue all summer since I finally purchased a new boat...

It's hard to see from the miserable pics, but it's navy blue with a matching Bimini. I purchased off the lot, but considered ordering. Gave up on ordering when I was told May delivery. I was told this was due to boat show order volume, but I could've been a sales tactic. Like you, I wanted something stripped down that I could add to for much less than what dealer was charging. In the end, my life is crammed already and finding time to mod the boat was going to be nearly impossible. I wasn't exactly excited to start drilling/cutting into my new boat either. I've only taken the boat out twice due to the weather, but I've been very happy with it so far. The upgraded stereo has a transom remote, upgraded speakers, sub and 2 amps. I'm not a stereo junky, but it sure seems crisp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I ordered December 31 a couple years ago, and got it the second week of April, so my guess is the timing window they gave you is accurate. Noce looking boat!
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Post by Skiingstrongman »

Unless you're wet slipping I wouldn't waste your time with fender mounts. I'm wet slipped and I just use the cleats and my boat came with the snaps already installed from the original owner I just don't want to mess with line length.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Big Block Power wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:16 am I would get the bow filler cushions right away. We love ours. The girls will too. If they don't then you leave it out. It adds so much more room up there.get a transom speaker control also. Binimi not a big fan myself but hot sunny days it's nice to have. Resale Shaun nice to have. 90% of the time mine is having in the garage. So I take it you live in Michigan?
The bow is where it happens. My kids and wife sit there.. The filler cushion is one of those options you have to have.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

Well, I went back today to look at a CS3 that came in. For being just a hair longer than the 220, it sure felt a lot bigger, especially since a lot of that length is the swim platform. With the V8 and EVC, the CS3 is out of my price range, but I'm thinking I want to check out a CS1 now. It's only 4" shorter than the 220, but if it feels like the CS3, I'd be happy. I laid across the back seat, and somehow the CS3 was about 5" wider inside than the 220, which must have been what made it feel so roomy.
2018 Cobalt CS22
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

1 thing I didn't like about the 2017 over the 2016 was they don't use speaker covers anymore.they use the same fabric that's on the side of the boat . Just didn't care for it. Also they put the cup holders on the floor molded in the hull.it's like they got rid of the arm rests. Did you look at the R3? I like that one the best.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Bclark
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Bclark »

Late to the conversation, but new to the board. i bought a 2016 220s last fall with the Volvo 300 hp duo prop. Love the power it has. I had the dealer add the fender clips and they look sharp and I like the quick connect functionality.
IMG_1495.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2016 Cobalt 220S
Wichita, KS
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I bought the fender clips from the factory too, thinking that we'll have the boat for a long time and they might be handy if we slip the boat. As it is, we do use them when we dock at restaurants at the local lake, and there's some modest convenience in having the clips attach fast and having the length already set.