Food Thread

(non-boating; no politics!)
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Food Thread

Post by Krob1114 »

kas232ca wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:46 am I grabbed some of the pre-seasoned St. Louis ribs at Costco over the weekend. It was just going to be me and the wife, so I only put 1 of the racks on and froze the rest.

I put them on my RecTeq at 225 for 3 hours, then wrapped them in butcher paper for 2 hours, then 45 more minutes unwrapped. Then let it rest for 30 minutes. The last 2 times I have made them I have been disappointed, but this is the first time I followed the recipe exactly for the time and the resting time.

Unfortunately, the kids were over but they originally said they weren't going to stay for dinner., then a couple of neighbors came over to help with next weekend's wedding decorations. By the time the ribs were done, I had to split the ribs 6 ways instead of 2 ways. While we didn't get alot to eat, they were really good. Sorry, no photos, as I was a bit frazzled.
First: I wouldn't have purchase them after being disappointed twice.
Second: I love left over ribs, dinner the next night, afternoon snack, share with friends at work.

Glad it worked out and tell us more about the wedding... maybe a new thread.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

Krob1114 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:20 pm
kas232ca wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:46 am I grabbed some of the pre-seasoned St. Louis ribs at Costco over the weekend. It was just going to be me and the wife, so I only put 1 of the racks on and froze the rest.

I put them on my RecTeq at 225 for 3 hours, then wrapped them in butcher paper for 2 hours, then 45 more minutes unwrapped. Then let it rest for 30 minutes. The last 2 times I have made them I have been disappointed, but this is the first time I followed the recipe exactly for the time and the resting time.

Unfortunately, the kids were over but they originally said they weren't going to stay for dinner., then a couple of neighbors came over to help with next weekend's wedding decorations. By the time the ribs were done, I had to split the ribs 6 ways instead of 2 ways. While we didn't get alot to eat, they were really good. Sorry, no photos, as I was a bit frazzled.
Second: I love left over ribs, dinner the next night, afternoon snack, share with friends at work.

I originally went to Costco to get a brisket, but they were sold out by noon. So, it was either ribs or a tri-tip, but we had just done a tri tip recently.
I probably should have just made them all, but with family in town this week for the wedding I am unsure about dinner schedules, etc.

Will put some pictures up of the wedding that will be this Friday night.
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

kas232ca wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:54 pm
Krob1114 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:20 pm

I originally went to Costco to get a brisket, but they were sold out by noon. So, it was either ribs or a tri-tip, but we had just done a tri tip recently.
I probably should have just made them all, but with family in town this week for the wedding I am unsure about dinner schedules, etc.

Will put some pictures up of the wedding that will be this Friday night.
We go to Sam's Club because nearest Costco is probably 45 minutes further. When I get Sam's ribs here, I have to be extra careful not to dry them out because they have so much extra white meat on them. I've never tried to cook brisket, but aren't corned beef and pastrami versions of brisket? Wife likes hamburger meat, then ribeye, then filet...nothing in between. I don't even know what tri tip is.
I would love to try something else if anyone wants to chime in.
We made Bulgogi yesterday using thin slice ribeye. It's one of my daughter's favs.
Daughter started grad school today and wedding is scheduled for May 21, 2022. When I first got on here, I found pics of Tuscany's daughter's wedding. It was cool to see.
Home in Hernando, MS
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Bulgogi?
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Korean BBQ. Marinated thin ribeye strips over night. I'll post marinate soon.....my break at work is over.
Home in Hernando, MS
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Bulgogi
3 cups packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups soy sauce
5 TBS sparkling desert wine or sparkling grape juice
3 TBS sesame oil
2 green onion (light and dark parts)
2 garlic cloves, chopped (I used minced)
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
4-5 lbs beef tenderloin, rib-eye, or top sirloin, thinly sliced

Combine all and marinate at least 4 hours...we usually do 8 or so.
I put heavy duty aluminum foil on grill so that it cooks in its juices.
Be careful not to over cook as thin slices cook pretty fast.
We serve on rice.
Home in Hernando, MS
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Now I'm hungry.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Mike in SC
Captain
Captain

Post by Mike in SC »

Krob1114 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:56 am Korean BBQ. Marinated thin ribeye strips over night. I'll post marinate soon.....my break at work is over.
Sounds awesome. We have a lunch spot nearby that has Korean Bulgogi Cheesesteak on the menu...it's really good!
Mike in SC
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

I'd like to make a Cheesesteak out of the left overs, but we never have any.
Home in Hernando, MS
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Here's another grill item that's been handed down from my father. Dad said chuck roast is best because it's porous and marinates good. Steak and Ale, which was also Jolly Ox, served a filet that they called the Kensington Club. Flavor was similar to this.

Whiskey Roast

2 1/2 pound roast
6 oz. soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar packed
1 tbls. lemon juice
1/4 cup bourbon (cheap)
1 teas. worchestershire sauce
1 1/2 cup water

Meat tenderizer optional

Cut roast into 1 1/2" to 2" cubes.
Marinate at least 6 hours.
Grill.
Home in Hernando, MS
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

sailor55330 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:10 am I’ve cooked steaks in the cast iron skillet and they are awesome. Still prefer a reverse sear slow smoke. Season steaks to your taste them out on the smoker at 175 for 60-70 mins. Pull off and wrap. Steaks will be at about 100f internally. Crank the grill to 500 and sear for 2-4 mins a side then off at 125-128. Off the grill and wrap. Stand for 10 mins and the come up to 135/138 or an awesome medium rare. The slow smoke at the beginning relaxes the fibers and makes them fork tender
The day I read this, I went south to Enid Lake in Mississippi, hung out with some high school and college friends, and cooked steaks.
I logged on here, found your post and tried it....great. Thanks. We had to alter a little because lowest setting on his smoker ( something Pig from Lowes that he loves) was 190.
Home in Hernando, MS
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Okay, here's a superduper secret marinade I've used for years. I use it on steaks, chicken and pork, but with chicken and pork I keep dipping it as it's grilling to give it almost a glaze. Oh.My.Gosh it is soo good.
I always keep a gallon jug mixed in the fridge.

Equal parts of:
Tiger sauce
Catilina dressing
Italian dressing
Worcestershire sauce
2 tb spoons of liquid smoke
2 tb spoons of brown sugar
2 tb spoons of Montreal Steak seasoning
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Ytmsn wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:36 am Okay, here's a superduper secret marinade I've used for years. I use it on steaks, chicken and pork, but with chicken and pork I keep dipping it as it's grilling to give it almost a glaze. Oh.My.Gosh it is soo good.
I always keep a gallon jug mixed in the fridge.

Equal parts of:
Tiger sauce
Catilina dressing
Italian dressing
Worcestershire sauce
2 tb spoons of liquid smoke
2 tb spoons of brown sugar
2 tb spoons of Montreal Steak seasoning
I’m gonna give this a try YT. Sounds delicious!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Krob1114 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:40 pm Here's another grill item that's been handed down from my father. Dad said chuck roast is best because it's porous and marinates good. Steak and Ale, which was also Jolly Ox, served a filet that they called the Kensington Club. Flavor was similar to this.

Whiskey Roast

2 1/2 pound roast
6 oz. soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar packed
1 tbls. lemon juice
1/4 cup bourbon (cheap)
1 teas. worchestershire sauce
1 1/2 cup water

Meat tenderizer optional

Cut roast into 1 1/2" to 2" cubes.
Marinate at least 6 hours.
Grill.
You're close on the Kensington Club. I worked there back in college. They had 2 marinated steaks on the menu at that time. The recipe you put out is very close to the Bourbon Street Steak, which was actually a NY Strip. The Club was top sirloin and the marinade was PSS....Pinapple Juice, Soy Sauce, and Cooking Sherry in a 2-1-1 ratio. I'm sure there were a few other spices, but that was the main part. It was also the same marinade they used on Hawaian chicken.

Cheers
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Tried another experiment this weekend. Smoking ribs is a time commitment so I ended up smoking 3 racks last time I did ribs. I didnt' finish 2 of them with any sauce. I let them cool to a little above room temperature then cut them in half and vacuum sealed each 1/2 rack. I pulled a couple out, let them come to room temp, then put them on the grill at 325 over indirect heat to sauce and glaze them. To my surprise, they tasted exactly like fresh off the smoker. I think the trick is to let them cool to room temp and a really good vacuum sealer (Weston Pro). Nice to be able to spend 1 day and get multiple eats out of it.