Food Thread

(non-boating; no politics!)
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Food Thread

Post by sailor55330 »

So, since there was a recent thread that derailed into food, I thought I'd start a "food" thread. Can be any source you want--you made it, you ate it, etc. . I'll start it off. Here's my first attempt at babybacks this year. We finally thawed enough to give it a go. As the summer goes on, hopefully I get my touch back.

Straight off the smoker--no sauce just a dry rub
IMG_1799.jpg
Same rack lightly sauced and just a touch of carmelization.
IMG_1798.jpg
First person that posts fast food is demoted 2 ranks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Food Thread

Post by Big Block Power »

Yum. No implausible burgers for me 😂😂
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Looks incredible Sailor!

Without a smoker am I risking that final phase of caramelization? To become a probable Flame show?
I’m thinking it may be time to add a Smoker to my BBQ arsenal.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

You should be ok. —it all depends on how low you can control heat. I never get above 325 and I’m wrapped in foil for the last hour. As long as you stay with indirect heat I think you’ll be ok. That’s what I love about my smoker. Indirect but I can crank them temps to 500 to sear if I’m doing a steak or control it down to 150 Let me know if I can help. Oh, and who knows—maybe they didn’t taste good at all.

Then again maybe I just downloaded the images from the web
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

I see myself posting too much in this thread. Nice smoke!
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

I bought a Masterchef electric smoker from Sam's Club. I'm on second one now, I don't advise cleaning inside with pressure washer.
Love it. Haven't been out for ribs since I purchased it.
My ribs: I like baby back the best.
Night before: remove membrane on back, load up with dry rub, wrap with cling wrap, and place in refridgerator over night. Remove next day in time for them to get to room temperature.
Soak wood chips at least an hour. I use apple plus put apple juice the the drip pan to help keep ribs moist. I set temp on smoker to 225 degrees.
Add wood chips, adjust air until you get good smoke. Put ribs on for 2-2.5 hours, checking only for smoke. At that point, I take ribs out and wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil so they will stay moist and cook in their own juices. Usually about 2 hours. Then I open and add sauce. Usually do at least three racks of ribs and put different sauce on each. Baby Ray's Sweet Chiplote is on of my favs.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Krob1114 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:38 am I bought a Masterchef electric smoker from Sam's Club. I'm on second one now, I don't advise cleaning inside with pressure washer.
Night before: remove membrane on back, load up with dry rub, wrap with cling wrap, and place in refridgerator over night. Remove next day in time for them to get to room temperature.
Soak wood chips at least an hour. I use apple plus put apple juice the the drip pan to help keep ribs moist. I set temp on smoker to 225 degrees.
Add wood chips, adjust air until you get good smoke. Put ribs on for 2-2.5 hours, checking only for smoke. At that point, I take ribs out and wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil so they will stay moist and cook in their own juices. Usually about 2 hours. Then I open and add sauce. Usually do at least three racks of ribs and put different sauce on each. Baby Ray's Sweet Chiplote is on of my favs.
I to have a masterchef or built I don remember, but I find it is hard to get clean smoke from it unless its in the dead of winter. I have tried a small chimney, wide open top, wide open bottom, and everything in between. Do you have any tips on getting nice clean blue smoke in warmer temps?
CS23
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Okay, for a slightly different tract...

I fry my steaks now and doubt I'll ever go back to grilling. Two minutes per side in a super hot cast iron skillet with lots of butter, then 4 to 5 minutes with the skillet in the oven at 375 (for a thick cut). Then let it rest for 6 to 8 minutes.

Mmmmmm
20210208_190729.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

dustinm wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:50 am
Krob1114 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:38 am I bought a Masterchef electric smoker from Sam's Club. I'm on second one now, I don't advise cleaning inside with pressure washer.
I to have a masterchef or built I don remember, but I find it is hard to get clean smoke from it unless its in the dead of winter. I have tried a small chimney, wide open top, wide open bottom, and everything in between. Do you have any tips on getting nice clean blue smoke in warmer temps?
Yes I know what you're saying. Try opening the door, letting some heat out, then the element that heats and causes wood chips to burn will be more active. I love ribs with little or lots of smoke. The rub overnight gives them enough flavor for me. The Rendevous Rib Dry Rub is available at local stores here. I usually buy second bottle before first one gets low.
Home in Hernando, MS
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Ytmsn wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:34 am Okay, for a slightly different tract...

I fry my steaks now and doubt I'll ever go back to grilling. Two minutes per side in a super hot cast iron skillet with lots of butter, then 4 to 5 minutes with the skillet in the oven at 375 (for a thick cut). Then let it rest for 6 to 8 minutes.

Mmmmmm

20210208_190729.jpg
I got a flat cast iron plate to put on my grill and wife loves the steaks....seems like it achieves the same result as you mentioned...I'll have to add butter.
Home in Hernando, MS
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

I’ve cooked steaks in the cast iron skillet and they are awesome. Still prefer a reverse sear slow smoke. Season steaks to your taste them out on the smoker at 175 for 60-70 mins. Pull off and wrap. Steaks will be at about 100f internally. Crank the grill to 500 and sear for 2-4 mins a side then off at 125-128. Off the grill and wrap. Stand for 10 mins and the come up to 135/138 or an awesome medium rare. The slow smoke at the beginning relaxes the fibers and makes them fork tender
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

sailor55330 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:10 am I’ve cooked steaks in the cast iron skillet and they are awesome. Still prefer a reverse sear slow smoke. Season steaks to your taste them out on the smoker at 175 for 60-70 mins. Pull off and wrap. Steaks will be at about 100f internally. Crank the grill to 500 and sear for 2-4 mins a side then off at 125-128. Off the grill and wrap. Stand for 10 mins and the come up to 135/138 or an awesome medium rare. The slow smoke at the beginning relaxes the fibers and makes them fork tender
Sounds good.
I revived this thread because food has risen above sex on my priority list...must be an age thing.
Home in Hernando, MS
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Krob1114 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:51 am

Sounds good.
I revived this thread because food has risen above sex on my priority list...must be an age thing.
:lol: :lol:
So true...I tell my wife I work out not to look good for her but to take my daily caloric intake to the max allowed on MFP each day. :D

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

I grabbed some of the pre-seasoned St. Louis ribs at Costco over the weekend. It was just going to be me and the wife, so I only put 1 of the racks on and froze the rest.

I put them on my RecTeq at 225 for 3 hours, then wrapped them in butcher paper for 2 hours, then 45 more minutes unwrapped. Then let it rest for 30 minutes. The last 2 times I have made them I have been disappointed, but this is the first time I followed the recipe exactly for the time and the resting time.

Unfortunately, the kids were over but they originally said they weren't going to stay for dinner., then a couple of neighbors came over to help with next weekend's wedding decorations. By the time the ribs were done, I had to split the ribs 6 ways instead of 2 ways. While we didn't get alot to eat, they were really good. Sorry, no photos, as I was a bit frazzled.
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Krob1114 wrote:
Sounds good.
No.
now I know you need more help than I thought!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!