Food Thread

(non-boating; no politics!)
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Food Thread

Post by Krob1114 »

sailor55330 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:10 am Tried another experiment this weekend. Smoking ribs is a time commitment so I ended up smoking 3 racks last time I did ribs. I didnt' finish 2 of them with any sauce. I let them cool to a little above room temperature then cut them in half and vacuum sealed each 1/2 rack. I pulled a couple out, let them come to room temp, then put them on the grill at 325 over indirect heat to sauce and glaze them. To my surprise, they tasted exactly like fresh off the smoker. I think the trick is to let them cool to room temp and a really good vacuum sealer (Weston Pro). Nice to be able to spend 1 day and get multiple eats out of it.
I think some of the rib joints may do this. We used to go to a place named Gridley's in Memphis that was very good. Sometimes, when with my parents, who were probably the same age as me now (lol), we'd go really early to eat and I noticed a difference in the glaze look, but not the taste.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

I forgot to take a picture of all 4 of the backs of ribs, I think we were too hungry after smelling the smoker for 5 hours... I have a Green Mountain pellet grill/smoker and love it! I just use a pre mixed dry rub then place them right on the grill at about 225 for about 2-3 hours. Then I take them off cover them liberally with brown sugar and honey wrap in tin foil. Then I put them back on for another 2-3 hours until they are tender. I like them sauced so I remove the foil sauce them and turn the heat up a little with them on for about 10-15 minutes. Before I started the ribs I smoked potatoes for potato salad and I also smoked a couple dozen eggs. Smoked eggs are great! We hardly ever use our oven in the summer and smoke just about everything from cookies to bread, pies and of course meat.
This is the remnants of 4 slabs of baby back ribs that I cooked last weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

I have a green mountain also snowman. My ribs are done almost the same way except I make my rub and spritz with apple juice during the smoke
rabiddawg
Captain
Captain

Post by rabiddawg »

Thanks for bumping this thread Sailor55330!

Lots of new stuff to try

Here is my own steak seasoning. IMO, tyme is the key.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2003 262 8.1 Volvo
rabiddawg
Captain
Captain

Post by rabiddawg »

As for ribs, chili powder is the key ingredient
2003 262 8.1 Volvo
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Sounds Good Dawg!

Snowman--what pellets are you using ithe GMG?
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

sailor55330 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:05 am Sounds Good Dawg!

Snowman--what pellets are you using ithe GMG?
I use the Green Mountain brand and its the Fruitwood blend. I think it has cherry, beechwood and pecan in it. The local guy that I bought the grill from smokes meats for competition and he has a special blend that he mixes himself but I’m kinda lazy, cut the bag open and pour it in the hopper.
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

Don’t forget about breakfast on the pellet smoker! Hash browns, sausage, bacon, eggs & cheese. We made home made pizza’s on it last night too, I forgot to take pictures though. The pictures ended up in reverse order...
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

My daughter was bored this afternoon so she made an apple pie on the pellet smoker. She is also practicing for a pie baking competition next week. I am guessing that we will be eating a lot of pie. Now we have desert!
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Looks really good
CS23
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

Since the weather was cool and windy yesterday and we thought it was going to be the same today we didn’t get on the boat this weekend. So I smoked some stuff! :lol: I made some smoked eggs on Saturday afternoon then on Sunday I made smoked turkey & chicken drumsticks, potato’s and even smoked veggies. The turkey legs were amazing, tased similar to ham and the chicken drumsticks were a hit too. Nobody else in my house likes the smoked eggs but I like to take them to work with me for a midday snack. I have made the eggs many times but this is my first try with the drumsticks, a few got a little burnt but most of them were pretty good.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Ytmsn wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:36 am Okay, here's a superduper secret marinade I've used for years. I use it on steaks, chicken and pork, but with chicken and pork I keep dipping it as it's grilling to give it almost a glaze. Oh.My.Gosh it is soo good.
I always keep a gallon jug mixed in the fridge.

Equal parts of:
Tiger sauce
Catilina dressing
Italian dressing
Worcestershire sauce
2 tb spoons of liquid smoke
2 tb spoons of brown sugar
2 tb spoons of Montreal Steak seasoning
Our family enjoyed this concoction tonight YT. It’s a hit. Thanks for passing it on.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Dang A7! I need to get on the Site a little more often! You posted this like forever ago and I'm just now seeing it! And I'm glad you like my marinade. It's good stuff!

Hopefully with fall coming on I'll be checking in a little more often. It's been a super busy summer!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Smoked Turkey anyone?
Turkey.jpg
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Ytmsn wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:37 pm Dang A7! I need to get on the Site a little more often! You posted this like forever ago and I'm just now seeing it! And I'm glad you like my marinade. It's good stuff!

Hopefully with fall coming on I'll be checking in a little more often. It's been a super busy summer!
More like I should come visit you YT. You got that Wedding chapel built yet?. :D

…and that looks good sailor. 👍
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)