Chock your wheels.

kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Chock your wheels.

Post by kas232ca »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ndu1xdcfgw3r ... 7.mp4?dl=0

So, apparently, this Howard was at a shop and someone used a rock as a chock. The trailer was damaged, but the boat only has minor damage. The video was taken from the gas station closest to the launch ramp at Lake Havasu. By the way, that gas station makes good sandwiches.

Looks like it went about 1/4 mile. https://www.dropbox.com/s/agarqmoih56dm ... 2.png?dl=0
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
XLI
Commander
Commander

Re: Chock your wheels.

Post by XLI »

See that's why I have always been a brick man. Can't trust those rocks. Seriously though that was amazing to watch that thing roll. It looked like it was trying to get out of everyone's way.

I am looking for a better chock solution. My problem is I store on asphalt with what I estimate to be about a 4-5 degree slope. I'm not sure if those hard plastic ones would keep from sliding along the sealed asphalt.
'20 CS22
Merc 6.2 B3
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mdadgar »

XLI wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:32 pm I am looking for a better chock solution. My problem is I store on asphalt with what I estimate to be about a 4-5 degree slope. I'm not sure if those hard plastic ones would keep from sliding along the sealed asphalt.
I use those for my race trailer - they are not going anywhere. They are slightly concave, so the tire puts downward pressure on them.

- Mark
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Please don't let Yt come in on this thread.
But hey a good piece of advise another member had was. Leave the chains on the hitch till the trailer comes off the ball. Disconnect them last not first!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
XLI
Commander
Commander

Post by XLI »

mdadgar wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:22 pm
XLI wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:32 pm I am looking for a better chock solution. My problem is I store on asphalt with what I estimate to be about a 4-5 degree slope. I'm not sure if those hard plastic ones would keep from sliding along the sealed asphalt.
I use those for my race trailer - they are not going anywhere. They are slightly concave, so the tire puts downward pressure on them.

- Mark
Thank you for your real world advice. I think I will give them a try.
'20 CS22
Merc 6.2 B3
Snowman73
Commander
Commander

Post by Snowman73 »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:06 pm Please don't let Yt come in on this thread.
But hey a good piece of advise another member had was. Leave the chains on the hitch till the trailer comes off the ball. Disconnect them last not first!
What he said! I always leave the chains attached until all movement has stopped and I’ve confirmed it’s secure when unhitching.
2019 R5 Navy w/ KO Red - LilliPad
Lake Delavan
Snowman73
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

That is just a crazy video. Luckily no one was hurt.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
TwoBurgers
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoBurgers »

I'll confess here... I once unhitched my trailer on my driveway (slight slope towards the rear) and forgot to chock the tires. Fortunately I had the safety cables attached. If it had rolled it would have hit a fence a few feet away. Anyway, by habit, I now leave the safety cables (chains) attached until the wheels are firmly against the chocks when raising the trailer to unhitch.
I'll also mention I have both the plastic and rubber chocks, and feel the rubber ones do a better job of gripping the asphalt.
Chris
'13 Cobalt 232 - Merc 350 Mag MPI - B3 w/ Simrek drive shower
'17 Yamaha GP 1800 - Riva S/C Intake and Stage 1 plus re-flash
'07 Honda F-12X GPScape - MACSBoost module and IC
'13 Toyota 4Runner Limited - AirLift air bags
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

42CD2F98-3B2B-4535-AF1C-8A9DE2E1F884.png
I have an asphalt driveway that is probably 4-5 degrees of slope. I use the chocks above from Tractor Supply. About $20 each but they are about a foot wide, 5 inches tall and at least 3-4 inches wider than my tire. The bite well on the driveway and they are heavy. Probably 7-8 lbs each. No way the boat rolls over them. I put them in front of the first tire, that way they have to roll over it twice. Highly recommended
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.