New Loadmaster Trailer & 2014 R5

Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

New Loadmaster Trailer & 2014 R5

Post by Snowman8 »

Well I got it home this week. The EZ fold bimini is installed, and the boat is on the new trailer. Now I am just waiting on my graphic guy to cut me some Cobalt R5 vinyl decals for the blank space on the trailer.
This trailer tows like a dream! It doesn’t even feel like a trailer is back there compared to the old trailer. Except there is about 7000lbs behind me... No bouncing or wandering at all. Very impressive!
Now if we can just have a few more days like today we will be in the water in no time at all. But for today I was driveway boating!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Snowman8 on Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Re: New Loadmaster Trailer & 2014 R5

Post by cmattj »

Beautiful set up on the bunks and just a Sharp Cobalt!
I do have one concern on the AG style arm trailer hook up in front?
Is this their new thing?? Enlighten us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

That’s the money shot right there S8!..,,
(so nice and level too. 👌🏻)
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

Cmatt , I wanted a pintle hitch. All of the heavy trailers I pull at work have them. I love them, they never let go. We switched all of our trailers to the years ago and never use ball mount hitches anymore. These never let go or break. We had a couple 2-5/16” balls break one year, one on a skidloader trailer and another on a pressure washer water trailer. This pintle hitch is rated at 42,000lbs, I think I’m ok with a 7,000 pond trailer...
The hitch is a GenY mega duty. The 2”shank version is rated at 16,000lbs.
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Thanks Snow! Yes that pencils in my brain. Lol Now I worry about the sheer of the ball. Ok I’ll stop worrying 🤣
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

cmattj wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:12 pm Thanks Snow! Yes that pencils in my brain. Lol Now I worry about the sheer of the ball. Ok I’ll stop worrying 🤣
Ball sheer sounds like it would hurt! :o :o :o
Yeah I wouldn’t worry much either. I had the option while building the trailer at no extra cost so I went with it. Plus I don’t have to change hitches when I pull the boat with my work truck! I pull heavy trailers a lot so I have learned many lessons the hard way. :roll: This trailer is WAY overbuilt for this boat but it’s one less thing for me to loose sleep over!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I'm still lost. It's still sitting kind of on a ball. How does it release and come off? Plus that has to have slop in it. Wouldn't it clang around?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

The GenY is a bad example of a true pintle hitch... you are correct it is still a ball but it is a solid cast piece without any bolts. I own it because one hitch does everything and is adjustable in height. The GenY mega duty hitch that I have is rated at 16,000lbs but they are tested not to break at twice their rating (32,000lbs). The trailers that we had break would shear the bolts right off the ball mount. We would also have the hitches pop off the top of the ball while loading skid loaders onto the trailers with all of that weight pulling up on the ball. A true pintle is basically just a J hook with a locking mechanism that will not release unless it breaks. All dump trucks use them and I have a true pintle hitch on my work truck. Since we switched to pintle hitches at work we have never broken one.
There is very little movement to a pintle hitch due to the J shape to the rest. The pintle eye sits in the bottom of the hook and with the lock on the top it will never pop off the ball. It’s hard to see in the picture but there is a grove for the eye to set down in. The weight of the trailer holds it in the groove. There is WAY less movement in this than there is in a typical hydraulic surge brake system. Every time I started from a stop with my old trailer my heart would drop when the slack slams out of the surge brake slide. There isn’t any of that with this trailer.
To each their own. I know boat trailers will never see the use and abuse that skid loader trailers and large tag trailers see but if its rated at 42,000lbs it probably isn’t going to cause me any trouble with a 7,000 boat. Most 2-5/16 balls are rated at 10,000lbs, some are rated for more but none are rated the same as a pintle. For the same money I am going with the stronger one any day!
Last edited by Snowman8 on Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

This is what I have on my one ton work truck. This is better example of a pintle hitch.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

You bought the best in the East.
LOL, Looks like my design. I had a hard time explaining over the phone how to make those walk plates and then add the gussets.

One tip, drop the Y block all the way to the bottom and move it back further where it hits lower. No matter how tight those bolts are, they do not penetrate the inner portion and won’t hold in hard braking. The upper portion may telescope back in. That happened on my first tow. . Other option is to drill through both portions so the bolts penetrate.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Here are some pics of what I’m describing.
Also, their ladder design sucks. I sent mine out to a local fan shop to correct it.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Chrispval
Commander
Commander

Post by Chrispval »

Looks beautiful. Do they only sell through a dealer, or can you work with Loadmaster directly? What was the final build cost?
2018 Cobalt R3WSS 350 Volvo
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Totally custom. They are located in Port Clinton Ohio, and only build per customer order specs..
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

I gotta say these are two of the finest built trailers I’ve seen on the forum. Great example for others.

And thanks for the pintle hook education with pics S8. Great stuff. 👌🏻
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

Tuscany wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:52 am Here are some pics of what I’m describing.
Also, their ladder design sucks. I sent mine out to a local fan shop to correct it.
I noticed that the ladder isn’t very user friendly... I have grip tape on order already and I like your handle on the top! My dealer helped me setup the bow stop. He told me to get it as high as possible because in a panic stop or accident boats have a tendency to climb up the V block. I will probably leave it at this height once I try loading it from the water to make sure it works here. I will take your recommendation about just cutting the set screw (bolts) off and just drilling right through and bolting it solid. Now that you mention it I see where it could just push back inside the tube. I also opted out of using the boat buckle brand tie downs because I think they are only rated for about 2000lbs. I have a 10,000lb strap on the front pulling down and slightly back so hopefully that helps stop forward movement. Thanks for the suggestions back while I was building this trailer last winter too! It is by far the nicest pulling trailer I have ever pulled, and I pull a lot of trailers!