Docking Light Bulb Replacement

(190 through 360)
garyc2
Ensign
Ensign

Docking Light Bulb Replacement

Post by garyc2 »

Hello, new to forum. Have owned my 2000 246 for approx. 15 yrs. Doing some maintenance. Searched forum for my specific application but came up empty. I have the 2000 version docking lights, with white plastic housing and bezel. I have removed the assembly from the boat from the outside, unplugged the wiring harness, and have it on bench. Cannot find a way to access inside of housing to change bulb. Don't want to break the housing or bezel if I can avoid it. Has anyone changes these bulbs? Thank you.

Assuming I get into the housing, if there are better/more capable bulbs to replace with, would love to know that. Right now the original bulbs are GE F52 Fog bulbs. Al least that's what's visible on outside of glass bulb lens....
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Docking Light Bulb Replacement

Post by AsLan7 »

Hello Gc2.

Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!

I believe others on the forum have changed out this light. They will chime in shortly.

I will say it’s worth the easy LED bulb upgrade once you can access your old bulbs. They run so much cooler and very low draw.

Any pics of your Cobalt. We love them here.

Again welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
CobaltRick
Commander
Commander

Post by CobaltRick »

I’m sure Aslan meant LED bulb above.. 😊
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

close to OEM dock cansters: Innovative lighting

Not sure about High intensity bulbs
2004 220
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

The easiest way is to break the bulb to get it out. Tunno I think just changed his last month.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

Then soak the housing in hot water before installing the new bulbs.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

CobaltRick wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:46 pm I’m sure Aslan meant LED bulb above.. 😊
Wat' U talkin' bout Willis.... ;)

Thanks Cr.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
garyc2
Ensign
Ensign

Post by garyc2 »

Big Block Power wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:32 pm The easiest way is to break the bulb to get it out. Tunno I think just changed his last month.
So breakig the bulb is not a problem, but..

looking at the plastic ring around the bulb im not certain the bulb diameter will fit in/out through the ring. Have you or someone you know actually done this?

Do you happen to know what the part number or ID is of the replacement bulb for this installation in a 2000 246?

Thanks very much.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

garyc2 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:04 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:32 pm The easiest way is to break the bulb to get it out. Tunno I think just changed his last month.

looking at the plastic ring around the bulb im not certain the bulb diameter will fit in/out through the ring. Have you or someone you know actually done this?

Do you happen to know what the part number or ID is of the replacement bulb for this installation in a 2000 246?

Thanks very much.
I'm find tunos thread.
viewtopic.php?t=3696
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
garyc2
Ensign
Ensign

Post by garyc2 »

Big Block Power wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:47 pm
garyc2 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:04 pm

Thanks very much.
I'm find tunos thread.
viewtopic.php?t=3696
OK, Thank you. Very helpful. My housing, although plastic like the first picture in the attached thread, is different for some reason. Im not sure what I'll do, but the boiling water thing sounds easy, and I can certainly break the bulb out. Just not sure which bulb to put back in place as all the housings in the thread are different than mine, and Im assuming the bulbs may be different also. Wish I could retrofit the SS housings, that would be great, but they look different size for cutout hole in the hull. I think Ill also try talking to Cobalt on Monday, see what I get. I know theyre shut down at the moment. Thanks again.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yes the stainless ones are diff. Do you have a picture of your lights. Finding the bulb is the easy part. Let's break crap. It's fun.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
garyc2
Ensign
Ensign

Post by garyc2 »

dock light 1.jpg
dock light 2.jpg
dock light 3.jpg
dock light 4.jpg
OK, so I have new info. Ill post it here in case someone else can benefit. My info is specific to my boat, a 2000 246, equipped from Cobalt with the docking lights.

The dock/anchor lights on my boat are a pair of white plastic housings. After talking to the Cobalt customer service rep today (very helpful guy) was able to sort this out. First, the main housing itself does NOT have to be removed from boat, although mine was already out so I went from there. Inside the outer white housing is another swiveling housing, which is a sealed unit and contains the bulb and white plastic surround, with wires out the back. Imagine an eyeball, inside the eye socket. You remove this inner housing, or eyeball, by backing out a small allen-head set screw meant to lock the inner housing in place at the angle desired. Mine needed a bit of persuasion with a rubber mallet tapping on the edge of the inner eyeball housing, or a rap on the back of the outer housing. Either way. It then loosened right up. Then pivot the inner housing around, rotating it, and it will slide out of the outer housing. The inner sealed unit housing with the bulb now unplugs from the wiring inside the outer housing and is free. This inner eyeball housing with the bulb must be replaced as a unit. The manufacturer is Sierra, and part number 95002. They are about $120 each, depending on where you find them on-line.

Feel free to break the bulb if you'd like, but it will not help, or get you any closer to replacing the docking light. The bulb diameter is larger than the eyeball housing opening by a bit, hence the sealed-unit thing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Nice documentation GC2...thank you for uploading the pics too!

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Cool thanks. Can't say anyone here replaced a eye light?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Jays_Truck
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jays_Truck »

I just replaced mine with par36 led lights from Amazon. I used a hand clamp to compress the side with the wires sticking out in several places until the seam started opening up. I then slid a #1 flathead screwdriver in from the back to the front and removed the clamp then worked the screwdriver around the seam until it opened up.
20200512_201739.jpg
20200512_201716.jpg
To glue them back together I am trying two approaches. One I just used regular pvc glue and the other I'm using silicone. The pvc glue is good to go in a hour while I'm waiting for the silicone to dry (cure) over night.

The original bulbs in mine were GE 4519 marine.