Got my new CS1 today!

notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Got my new CS1 today!

Post by notstock4long »

I'd post some pictures, but it caught on fire before I had a chance....seriously.

This afternoon the delivery captain came by with the boat ('17 CS1 w/ EVC, Volvo 300, and other aesthetic options). Everything went ok. I wasn't too impressed that two options were missing (bow tonneau cover and transom tilt switch), and that the analog fuel gauge didn't work, but he assured me they would take care of that stuff when it came in for the 20 hour checkup. No big deal. I was a bit bummed as I have been waiting for three months for the boat, and a little unimpressed that a company who prides itself on being the best would forget options. I could easily overlook the fuel gauge issue as I would have wanted the boat for the holiday weekend either way, especially since the digital fuel gauge appeared to be functioning.

I took it out on the water with the dealer guy, and everything went well. Got back, slipped it, and ran home to grab the family for only a short ride since it was a little chilly today. We got through the no wake zone and took off. A couple minutes later, I see/smell some smoke in the boat. We had just passed a 38' Donzi that had their engine compartment opened up with smoke rolling out (yes, I asked if they needed assistance but they insisted they were alright). So initially I assumed we had just dragged in some smoke from their boat. Took of again and noticed a little more smoke. It appeared to be coming from under the dash, so I turned around and headed for home. Just a little wispy cloud of 'electronic' type smoke. For a minute it appeared to go away, so I thought maybe I was just crazy. There was no one else on the lake, so I didn't want to just shut it down and drift. I made it to the dock just as it turned into a full blown fire with black smoke and all, and with my nine year old twin girls losing their shit. They hoped off, a couple guys helped me tie it up, then I hit it with the fire extinguisher. It was a real damn fire at that point. We got it under control, and it was contained within the area between the helm and front bow seat.

And hear I sit, sipping a drink trying to calm my nerves. The delivery captain showed up, and was sitting with the boat waiting for another guy from the dealership to bring another boat to tow it from the slip to the launch ramp, so I took off as I was just standing around like an idiot. I have been assured by my dealer rep that this will be handled by Cobalt and not become an insurance issue. I will be beyond pissed if I lose my ass on a boat that I had in my possession for less than one hour, and with less than two hours on the engine (it arrived with 1.4 hours).

Bet you guys didn't expect this story did ya!
2018 Cobalt CS22
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Got my new CS1 today!

Post by Big Block Power »

Oh my god is all I can say. So sorry. I know a dealer that has one in stock :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Post by Skiingstrongman »

I'm so sorry to hear about that. They will take care of you. That's what you're paying for customer service and theirs is top notch. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it. Be happy your family is safe and you'll have a brand new boat hassle free before you know it.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I'm glad you and your family are safe.

JMHO..
Personally, I wouldn't take the boat unless the dealer coughs up a hefty rebate.. take your money and walk to another brand, or let them find another CS1.
That kind of stuff is unforgivable, and usually follows the boat with a trail of lemon juice..
Save yourself a lot of anguish that you will be stuck with if the problems persist.
Read the tea leaves..
I can tell you that I would have no problem walking away from mine if there is something as serious as an electrical fire. I dont fall in love that easy. Defective electronics always comes back to haunt you if they come messed up from the factory, and there is simply no excuse for an issue like that on a craft as expensive as a Cobalt.
Last edited by Tuscany on Fri May 26, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Oh I don't think there is a chance in Hell he will keep that boat. Much less the dealer fix it. I would be ok with Cobalt dropping a new one at my door though. Ok now one other thought is this is a new model so is there a design flaw or a wire just ran wrong. I'm also glad you all are all ok.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

First, good to hear everyone is ok.
I couldn't imagine having kids onboard with a fire. Hope everything works out for you.
2018 r5
2003 220
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

Thanks for the support guys. I didn't mention it, but I too am glad everyone was ok. As bad as I made it sound, everyone made it off before things really went downhill. As unscary as a fire on water sounds, it was a bit more terrifying than I imagined even after watching a boat burn up last season.

As Big Block assumed, I don't want to have anything to do with this boat. Beyond the electrical and interior damage, the starboard hull had a noticeable ripple along the exterior at the area where the fire occurred. I certainly did not spend this kind of money to own a previously charred boat.

I purchased a Cobalt because of their reputation, so I'm not losing much sleep over it. I'm assuming they'll make things right, and I'll walk away happy. If I don't end up with exactly what I ordered, along with a minor perk or two to compensate for the near death experience, I'll walk away altogether, and I'd really rather not have to do that.
2018 Cobalt CS22
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

Big Block Power wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 8:47 pm Oh I don't think there is a change in Hell he will keep that boat. Much less the dealer fix it. I would be ok with Cobalt dropping a new one at my door though. Ok now one other thought is this is a new model so is there a design flaw or a wire just ran wrong. I'm also glad you all are all ok.
I wondered the same thing about the root cause. While I'm sure quite a few CS1s have been sold this year, most people probably aren't as nerdy as me and therefore haven't ordered them with the EVC system, which inherently involves a lot of additional wiring.
2018 Cobalt CS22
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Southernboatman »

:cry: :cry: OMG! Ditto that I am glad all are OK! So sorry to read this especially since it is Memorial Day weekend delivery! How disappointing! Yes I hope To read a terrific story of how well Cobalt takes care of you on this!
2014 R5, Black on Black & White Edge Stripe
Volvo Penta 380hp
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Aside from the inexcusable electrical issue, what's most alarming are the missing options and the fuel gauge that doesn't work.
How does that happen with Cobalt? We are talking stupid, and a lack of factory quality control...
Personally, I don't mind paying a premium price to Cobalt, but with that, perfection had better be delivered completely on the same day I write the check. . If not, please refund me so I can walk over to Formula...
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Southernboatman »

By the way notstock, sounds like you did a very good job of managing the "situation". Good job!
2014 R5, Black on Black & White Edge Stripe
Volvo Penta 380hp
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Skiingstrongman wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 7:33 pm I'm so sorry to hear about that. They will take care of you. That's what you're paying for customer service and theirs is top notch. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it. Be happy your family is safe and you'll have a brand new boat hassle free before you know it.
So little story here,
I'm pretty easy going and I know that shit happens. But...
I buy a new truck last year, and on its first OLF service, the "tech" doesn't grease it. Back in it goes.
On its second OLF service, guess what... yep.. again...

Yesterday, I move to a different GM dealership looking for more competent results for service, and make a point of telling the service writer to make sure that while greasing, the tech hits the zerk that's up high by the steering box and tough to get.
Guess what, the "tech" doesn't grease any of them..again.. at a different dealership....No one seems to care anymore...

So, the customer service may only as good as the quality of the individual personnel hired, and most probable a slightly above minimum wage goofball is who gets sent out to resolve your issues.
JMO, So when the factory quality control department starts showing a lack of commitment to excellence in every single area of the build, it's a little disconcerting.
I take zero stock in brand service reputation.

Get a new boat..
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

On your tech issue I would request to get your oil changed in the shop not the express lube side. I finally got two great lube techs.hard to come by.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

That "was" an in shop, drop off service!
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yea my shop guy would get a good talking too. I hate it when someone asks you to do something and it either doesn't get to the tech or the tech didn't do it. No reason for it. So yes I hear you. 32 years doing that business.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!