New member from KY.

Kyboater
Commander
Commander

New member from KY.

Post by Kyboater »

Hello All,

I’ve been a Lake Cumberland boater for about 10 yrs. Our first boat was a 2007 Four Winns we purchased in 2009. That boat served us really well for several seasons. During that time we fell in love with Cobalt, so I searched until we found the perfect 2005 220 with a 6.2 MERC.( I’m a MERC fan, but no longer opposed to Volvo). We loved the size, performance, etc. All of our Cobalt expectations were met. The only problem is I developed a serious obsession with the R series. So the past year and a half I began searching for the right R series for us. I thought it was going to be a R5. Another step up in size right? After spending countless hours reading reviews, reading opinions on here, sitting in both, weighing pros and cons we decided a low hour slightly used R3 was going to be our next boat. I didn’t have any trouble selling my 220 so the only thing left was acquiring the perfect R3. This spring that turned into a major feat. Nothing was available locally and everything I pursued out of state was sold before I could make arrangements to go get. In the meantime my local Cobalt dealer had a left over new 2019 that met all of our needs: a color we liked, tower, premium sound with sub and transom speakers, table, Sof-trac throughout the boat, led lighting package, docking lights, and 6.2 MERC etc. The only issue was I promised myself I would never buy new.

Well I broke that promise today. They made me a deal way too good to pass up. Plus I really wanted to buy from a local dealer for service.

We take possession next Thursday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 R5 350hp Merc
Lake Cumberland KY
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: New member from KY.

Post by AsLan7 »

Wow. Great into kB. 6.2 is a tremendous engine. Some amazing R3 memories await you and the fam!

Thanks for the pic too. 👌. Any outside pics? Plan on doing any water sports?

Welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Donedroolin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Donedroolin »

Congratulations on your purchase. Great boat love the color blue Cobalt has. Hears to the good times.
COBALT 253 LOVE AT FIRST SITE
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Congrats!! You will loce it as we say around these parts!!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Kyboater
Commander
Commander

Post by Kyboater »

Thanks!

We raised our kids on water sports and my wife and I love to ski. We don’t spend entire days skiing and tubing like our younger days, more cruising and cove relaxing these days. Our daughter still enjoys us slinging her and her friends around from time to time and we do like to show the kids their parents still have slalom skills Lol. Once or twice a season fills the need though.

I was too excited to take any outside pics. My wife snapped this one. I’ll post some better ones once we take delivery next week.
2018 R5 350hp Merc
Lake Cumberland KY
TR5
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TR5 »

Congrats!! on your new boat. Great color and a Merc how could you go wrong.
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

Welcome Ky boater from another Ky boater. Great dealer and of course, Cumberland’s a beautiful lake. I boat on Laurel and the 220 does fine. If I was on Cumberland, I would go with the R series, too. That’s big water. Good luck, she’s a beauty.

Dub
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
Stagdad
Commander
Commander

Post by Stagdad »

Welcome to the site. Fellow KY Cumberland Cobalter here. I was shopping at Stokeley's before I found mine. All he had was Merc and I wanted Volvo. Although If he would have had the boat color, Horsepower and features I wanted, Merc would have been fine too. Good luck with the new purchase. What part of the lake do you frequent?
Stagdad(Brian & Linda)
220s V8 300VP
Home Port Northern KY
Away Port Lake Cumberland / Dale Hollow
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

Congrats on the new boat! great color combo and sounds like it is loaded up!

I was in a similar situation as you last year. I was searching and searching for that slightly used R7 with all the goodies. I had looked at a few but nothing that had everything I wanted. Finally my local dealer gave me an offer on a stock boat they had that was just to good to pass up. I have 0 regrets going new and I am sure you will to. Enjoy the break in period isn't to painful!
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
Kyboater
Commander
Commander

Post by Kyboater »

We brought her home this afternoon and I gotta say the delivery process Stokley’s has in place is very impressive. As a bonus, after we got home and took the cover off we found some very nice Cobalt swag they placed inside which was a nice touch!

The maiden voyage is schedule for tomorrow morning.

Stagdad - We boat out of Jamestown. We keep the boat in storage about a mile from the marina.

tgrace98 - I was just reviewing the break in period section of the manual. Ugh. Any advice out there folks want to share? Does everyone follow it to a “T”?

Also, any R3 owners have any suggestions on a better trash can situation? That is one design I’m not a big fan of. It seems like the trash can will easily fall down into storage area below.

Anyway.... I’m on cloud nine tonight.
2018 R5 350hp Merc
Lake Cumberland KY
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Kyboater wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:22 pm
Also, any R3 owners have any suggestions on a better trash can situation? That is one design I’m not a big fan of. It seems like the trash can will easily fall down into storage area below.

Tuscany you want to take this one? ;)
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Drive it like you stole it!!! What engine?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Kyboater
Commander
Commander

Post by Kyboater »

Big Block Power wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:09 am Drive it like you stole it!!! What engine?
6.2 300 hp MERC
2018 R5 350hp Merc
Lake Cumberland KY
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Nice. Let us know how she performs!!
Congrats on the merc!
Very the throttle. Mostly from idle to wot 😂😂😂
Just kidding. My self I would drive it like I would normally do. That's just me.. These new engines like In a car just need to be run. Cobalt already ran it hard in the tank so go have fun!!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

Kyboater wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:22 pm We brought her home this afternoon and I gotta say the delivery process Stokley’s has in place is very impressive. As a bonus, after we got home and took the cover off we found some very nice Cobalt swag they placed inside which was a nice touch!

The maiden voyage is schedule for tomorrow morning.

Stagdad - We boat out of Jamestown. We keep the boat in storage about a mile from the marina.

tgrace98 - I was just reviewing the break in period section of the manual. Ugh. Any advice out there folks want to share? Does everyone follow it to a “T”?

Only thing I really did is I would not travel at the same RPM for more than 5 minutes. So get her up to 4k for about 5 minutes then go up to like 4500, then back down etc. I did that for about the first 15hrs. It went by pretty quick. I'm on a big lake so I just did a bunch of cruises to get it knocked out. Then take her back to dealer for the 20hr service. They change all the fluids and inspect the drive and what not to make sure everything is good to go.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake