New R7

liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: New R7

Post by liquid »

That thing is gorgeous. Congratulations Tuscany - just in time for some decent weather for a change!

I'm crossing everything I can in hopes of a happy mistake on their part regarding your engine.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Southernboatman »

I'm saying its a 430? Whaddya say Tuscany? What it is?
2014 R5, Black on Black & White Edge Stripe
Volvo Penta 380hp
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

The only way to know for sure is to find the block number and call Volvo Penta. I just haven't had the time to locate it.
In the big picture, it really doesn't matter. It is what it is.

Personally, I doubt someone just grabbed a stray 430 hat laying on the floor and tossed it on. That doesn't sound like the kind of operation Cobalt runs.
I do know Cobalt is ahead of last year by a staggering 800 boats. My boat was delayed almost 2 months due to the factory being overwhelmed, and pushed thru with the wrong Bimini due to a lack of parts in inventory. They plan on sending the correct parts to change the Bimini, along with a new cockpit cover to my dealer when they are available. My dealer told me that Cobalt has cancelled the rest of their unsold stock inventory for the rest of the year due to demand of current orders.
The actual cost difference of a 380/430 is pocket lint for Cobalt, and it's always possible that they simply ran out of 380 stock, and wanted the boat built and not stopped dead in its tracks on the line. I would also bet that due to the retail cost difference, the 380 demand is ten times more than the 430, so inventory may have played a role. The Factory build 380 sticker is on engine side plate, but the line would have to sticker it according to the order.
Another way is to open it up after break in and see what speed I get. If it runs mid 50s, it'll be the 430. 50ish, it will be the 380.

What ever it is, it's more than enough. It is louder than what I expected. It sounds exactly like a big block. Definitely different from the 6.0L.
The boat snaps your head back at any speed when you just slightly throttle up.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Southernboatman »

I'm looking at the risers. Now off to see the Blue Angels home show!
2014 R5, Black on Black & White Edge Stripe
Volvo Penta 380hp
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Just an update.
I called Volvo Penta, and they told me the only way to know for sure is to find the factory applied emissions sticker on the block itself.
I found it, and it shows a max power of 321kW...which unless every conversion chart I looked up is wrong, converts to 430 horsepower.
https://www.kwtohp.net/kw-to-hp-conversion-table

Thank you Cobalt for the unexpected free upgrade!
Wow, the extra wait and the factory order crunch definitely worked out for us!
I thought it ran pretty good. :D
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

That's awesome! You clearly were owed karmic currency for waiting.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

So how much should that upgrade have costed? Still why would cobalt then put 380 decals on it. I would ask them to get you the correct 430 ones. Not too often it goes your way on something like this.also your going to want to call your insurance company and get it insured with the proper engine and hp rating.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Excellent point BB. I would've stopped thinking at Yay!
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

Looks like just over a $10k upgrade. Awesome!
2018 Cobalt CS22
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I'm guessing the engine installers simply used the stickers that were assigned to the order. I can't believe many opt for the 430 because it's a $10,500.00 upgrade from the 380, so they probably had plenty in stock. Thats a lot for 7 mph more speed. There was no way I would have sprung for it. It seems that 99% of every stock R5 and R7 I have seen online for sale have been equipped with the VP 380. So it would make sense that they probably ran out of the 380 engines, and wanted to keep the line going instead of shelving and storing a half built boat hull, especially since they were already two months behind on my initial sold order delivery date. I'm sure it would have cost them more to pull the boat, than just drop in a 430 and keep moving forward.
The other factor is that they just completed the change over and started installing the Gen 5 engines when they were building mine, so another potential reason stock may have been inconsistent.

If the 380/430 changes are similar the 6.0L engines, its cam and ported heads and ECM differences. Everything else is the same.
I did notice that it had a different sound than what I expected. It was a lot louder, almost too loud in the back, which now makes sense if the exhaust ports were enlarged. It was also a major pig on gas. I put in $60.00 in gas, and used that up, plus...for about 3 hours of cruising. Hopefully, it will get better with break in.
If not, I'll have no problem living with it..
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

I wonder who the guy on the line is that makes that call.

Pretty sweet deal for you. I may just have to make my way west and check it out in person.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Your going to have to change your signature again.lol
I'm glad my next boat has the 430 in it. Thanks ahead of time.lol
I put five hours on my boat and used 40 gallons. Putt putting and skiing and tubing and cruising. Not sure if that's good or bad but I was on the water so who cares.lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Mine doesn't guzzle. I put 40 gallons in this week and still have half a tank - put 6-7 hours on it
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

liquid wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:07 pm I wonder who the guy on the line is that makes that call.

Pretty sweet deal for you. I may just have to make my way west and check it out in person.
They probably knew well beforehand that they would run short if that was the case, it's not a hard one to make to keep people working and production moving. I'm probably not the only one to get this lucky here... I'm sure there are a few more happy folks out there..
I'm effing thrilled. Just perfect line timing. Those types of things usually don't happen, especially to me.

Liquid, I'm just down the I-90..
Last edited by Tuscany on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Big Block Power wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:56 pm Your going to have to change your signature again.lol
I'm glad my next boat has the 430 in it. Thanks ahead of time.lol
I put five hours on my boat and used 40 gallons. Putt putting and skiing and tubing and cruising. Not sure if that's good or bad but I was on the water so who cares.lol
She drank some fuel, and I never broke 4K RPM. Mostly 32/35 RPM. I would have accurate figures IF my dealer actually filled my tank like they were suppose to. I started out with 1/3 tank, if accurate should have been around 25 gallons. I added another 20, and had about 6 left before I filled it.
But GM gas engines are pigs before the rings seat. The 6.0l in my truck was averaging 9-10 mph when new. Now it's around 12 LOL.
It is what it is, at least it has a 77 gallon tank.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine