Will this set a code?

Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Will this set a code?

Post by Alaskabound »

My check engine light and alarm is activating. I’ve had the boat to the Cobalt dealer twice in last 2 weeks and they can’t determine what is causing it. On the first visit, they detected a misfire on #1 cylinder and replaced the plug. On the second visit, they don’t know. I noticed today that my power fluid & trim/tilt fluid is below the dipstick but is visible. Does anyone know if this might cause the alarm? Engine is VP 280 HP v6 D Prop. 41 hours on boat. Thanks

Dub
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Will this set a code?

Post by cmattj »

Alaskabound wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:38 pm My check engine light and alarm is activating. I’ve had the boat to the Cobalt dealer twice in last 2 weeks and they can’t determine what is causing it. On the first visit, they detected a misfire on #1 cylinder and replaced the plug. On the second visit, they don’t know. I noticed today that my power fluid & trim/tilt fluid is below the dipstick but is visible. Does anyone know if this might cause the alarm? Engine is VP 280 HP v6 D Prop. 41 hours on boat. Thanks

Dub
Hey Dub

If its a mystery for the Volvo dealer then I haven't a clue . They should be able to see history faults unless it clears with powering down, and that they would have to water test for.
Does your display panel have the push button for reading?

Yes all fluids have sensors now so make sure everything is at mark levels. Out-drive fluid are tricky because trimmed up for trailering will show low fluid in resv tank.

Keep us posted buddy.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

Hey Matt, I don’t have the evc feature so I can’t read it. I hauled it 170 miles back to the Cobalt dealer last week. I called him this morning while on the lake to say the alarm went off again. He said he would consult with Cobalt to try and track it down. I will fill the power steering to the proper level In the morning then see if that helps. I could only find Mercury power steering and trim oil, hope that is ok. Thanks for the response.i know BB will say this wouldn’t happen to a big block merc!

Dub
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Alaskabound wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:20 pm Hey Matt, I don’t have the evc feature so I can’t read it. I hauled it 170 miles back to the Cobalt dealer last week. I called him this morning while on the lake to say the alarm went off again. He said he would consult with Cobalt to try and track it down. I will fill the power steering to the proper level In the morning then see if that helps. I could only find Mercury power steering and trim oil, hope that is ok. Thanks for the response.i know BB will say this wouldn’t happen to a big block merc!

Dub
I'm not saying anything Dub😉
Sucks. Keep us informed buddy.
Or trade it in for a 240 buddy 🤣🤣
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

Hey bb, since you deal with this stuff every day, if the power steering is low on the newer vehicles, does it set a code or activate an alarm?

Thanks

Dub
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

If fluid is low
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Alaskabound wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:31 pm Hey bb, since you deal with this stuff every day, if the power steering is low on the newer vehicles, does it set a code or activate an alarm?

Thanks

Dub
What's pwr str fluid 🤣🤣🤣
Is all electronic now.
I will say in mopar world they watch everything. Everything has a sensor. It's more of a pressure reading. But low fluid can become low pressure. It won't turn on a light because it's not a emission failure.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

Dealer tech talked to Cobalt and no one can figure out what’s going on. So I’ll haul it home in a few days and take to cobalt dealer on Wednesday. Boat runs fine just “check engine” and beeping every minute. I’m hoping Cobalt’s gonna help on this. Guess it depends on what it is. Said they may need to do a lake check. I’ll update

Dub
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Alaskabound wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:10 pm Dealer tech talked to Cobalt and no one can figure out what’s going on. So I’ll haul it home in a few days and take to cobalt dealer on Wednesday. Boat runs fine just “check engine” and beeping every minute. I’m hoping Cobalt’s gonna help on this. Guess it depends on what it is. Said they may need to do a lake check. I’ll update

Dub
They will figure it out. Let us know later.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Texas1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Texas1 »

Big Block Power wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:13 pm
They will figure it out. Let us know later.

Not necessarily. Unfortunately my dad and I find ourselves in the same position as OP.....boat has been at Cobalt dealer for two weeks now. No idea what’s up. Engine threw a lean fuel/air mixture code from what my dad has been relaying back to me. They even reached out to Cobalt, and still nothing. Oddly enough engine is VP 280 V6 also like the OP. I would hope at 50 hours in the engine wouldn’t give up the ghost like this.
2016 220S
V6-280 Volvo DP
Lake Conroe, Texas
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I guess we really need to know what is the code number and what is it before jumping to conclusions? Also not sure why we reach to Cobalt for engine help. It's reaching out to volvo penta or mercury marine. You submit warranty claims to the engine manufacturer but the boat manufacturer. If things can't get repaired then maybe the boat manufacture will get involved.
The techs will get it. Have no fear!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
rabiddawg
Captain
Captain

Post by rabiddawg »

The problem I’ve seen is techs now days don’t know how to troubleshoot if the computer doesn’t tell them anything.
2003 262 8.1 Volvo
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

rabiddawg wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:39 pm The problem I’ve seen is techs now days don’t know how to troubleshoot if the computer doesn’t tell them anything.
Won't disagree. Some can't even read a computer much less what the data means. You really need some car techs to get into it as we've Been around it longer. Still lots are parts replacers. Plus I will tell you they don't pay them nearly enough. The auto tech I bet makes at least 10 bucks a hour more.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

BB, I agree on all points. I also think that Volvo may need to be involved as you said. According to the tech, Cobalt added some diagnostics over & above what Volvo has in place and that’s fine, as long as they work. I hate to sound old, but sometimes I long for the simpler days where you check your fluids, watch your gauges and head down the lake. Anyway, this dealer, who I did not buy from because they are new, seems to be concerned and willing to help. I keep thinking this is something simple as the boat, after the plug was replaced, runs fine. But I need this fixed.

Texas, does your dad’s boat run ok or does he have other symptoms? I will post on here what happens on mine. Good luck

Dub
Texas1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Texas1 »

Pretty sure it was running fine. He’d been out cruising and got a single beep alarm every 2 mins. Took it out and straight to the dealer. And I confirmed that the dealer had reached out to Volvo, not Cobalt. I’ll keep this updated. Good luck.
2016 220S
V6-280 Volvo DP
Lake Conroe, Texas