Port-side Boarding Ladder and Flip-up Step

(23SC, 25SC, 30SC, 24SD, 26SD)
dgangwer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Port-side Boarding Ladder and Flip-up Step

Post by dgangwer »

Does anyone have/use the optional port-side boarding ladder? Any issues with the lack of grab bars using the swim step?
Reason I ask is that the R6 Outboard doesn't offer it as an option but I will pursue it if owners recommend it.
Thanks in advance.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Port-side Boarding Ladder and Flip-up Step

Post by Big Block Power »

If it costs extra get it 😂😂👍
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AlexV
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexV »

I haven't seen one yet with that option. I'm always surprised how much dirt collects under mine. I don't think I would want a 2nd one to clean. I would put the money into another option
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

AlexV wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:04 pm I haven't seen one yet with that option. I'm always surprised how much dirt collects under mine. I don't think I would want a 2nd one to clean. I would put the money into another option
Personally I would want one on each side.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
dgangwer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by dgangwer »

AlexV wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:04 pm I haven't seen one yet with that option. I'm always surprised how much dirt collects under mine. I don't think I would want a 2nd one to clean. I would put the money into another option
The port side option appears to be a stainless steel ladder that slides in & out horizontally and rotates down for use. The 25SC I tested in August had one. I'm surprised that the R6 Outboard doesn't have it listed as an option since the swim platforms appear identical.

I'll check with the dealer & report back.
AlexV
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexV »

You can't go wrong with a Cobalt. I have the sport tower on mine. Its built so solid I can do pull ups on it.
Pwheeler1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Pwheeler1 »

I have a 25sc which I bought new without the boarding ladder. My wife and I are mid 50s and in good condition, so the flip step was OK, but not optimal for boarding. It really should not be the route to board the boat. Friends that were not in the best shape had issues. I wrote to Cobalt and told them I thought the step was a poor design and it should be the option versus the ladder. Additionally, we had a heavier friend on the step and it bent. In the end, I added the ladder because in 5-10 years, it would be an issue with just the step. My advise, get the ladder, and Cobalt should have the ladder as standard equipment. On a $100k boat, having to navigate the step to get in the boat is a joke.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Pwheeler1 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:50 am I have a 25sc which I bought new without the boarding ladder. My wife and I are mid 50s and in good condition, so the flip step was OK, but not optimal for boarding. It really should not be the route to board the boat. Friends that were not in the best shape had issues. I wrote to Cobalt and told them I thought the step was a poor design and it should be the option versus the ladder. Additionally, we had a heavier friend on the step and it bent. In the end, I added the ladder because in 5-10 years, it would be an issue with just the step. My advise, get the ladder, and Cobalt should have the ladder as standard equipment. On a $100k boat, having to navigate the step to get in the boat is a joke.
Good real life feedback.
I think the flip down step on the other series is also hard to get into. Just me. I like my old ladder.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AlexV
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexV »

I found an ad for one that shows the port side ladder. Its around the 8th picture in the ad. It looks like it goes deep. https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2021-co ... c-7533831/
Pwheeler1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Pwheeler1 »

The swim ladder is plenty deep and easy to operate. Cost to add it later was a little over $500 after several discussions with Cobalt about the inadequacy of the step. They were pretty good about it. Had the local dealer install it. My guess is they can put it on the R6, but I’d negotiate it into the deal.
dgangwer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by dgangwer »

Pwheeler1 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:32 am The swim ladder is plenty deep and easy to operate. Cost to add it later was a little over $500 after several discussions with Cobalt about the inadequacy of the step. They were pretty good about it. Had the local dealer install it. My guess is they can put it on the R6, but I’d negotiate it into the deal.
Thank you so much for the info. My dealer is new to Cobalt. Looking forward to my sales rep's feedback from Cobalt on the issue. I'd rather the boat be a finished product upon delivery and hope that this issue will be overcome in the future with spec changes based on customer feedback.
Flyinbrian
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Flyinbrian »

I'm happy with my boat - BUT the swim ladders are both not ideal. The longer, narrower ladder on my port side is too far under the swim step, when you use it from the water, it's not really easy to get "out" over the swim step. And the fold over swim step on my starboard side - cool looking, but it bent and now won't go back to it's original position and be flat with the rest of the swim step. Yes, I weigh 23O, and some of my friends are big guys too - do I need to warm them not to step on my step because it might bend?? Very expensive boat to be having this not-well engineered problem.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Flyinbrian wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:39 pm I'm happy with my boat - BUT the swim ladders are both not ideal. The longer, narrower ladder on my port side is too far under the swim step, when you use it from the water, it's not really easy to get "out" over the swim step. And the fold over swim step on my starboard side - cool looking, but it bent and now won't go back to it's original position and be flat with the rest of the swim step. Yes, I weigh 23O, and some of my friends are big guys too - do I need to warm them not to step on my step because it might bend?? Very expensive boat to be having this not-well engineered problem.
Hey FB. Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!

Sorry to hear about your ladder woes. What model Cobalt do you own? Do you have any pictures?

Again welcome aboard mate.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
dgangwer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by dgangwer »

Boat was delivered with the port-side boarding ladder. As the R6 Outboard has no assist handles for either the flip down or collapsible ladders, the dealer ordered two from Cobalt for post-delivery installation.

The dealer says Cobalt doesn't recommend them, however, because the swim platform has no reinforcement between the top and bottom surfaces and a through-bolt installation might crack/crush the fiberglass and void any warranty.

Does anyone have experience with add-ons? I'm a big guy, 64 years old and can't leap from the water like I once did! Thanks.
dgangwer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by dgangwer »

Just got back from a week in Key West. Boat is just over a year old and this was the first anyone went into the water.
Thank goodness that I had the port-side boarding ladder! Only way I’d have made it aboard with the flip-up step would have been with a rope tied to the stern cleat. Had I gone into the water with no rope or port-side ladder, it would have been a dilemma.