JL Subs Keep Blowing

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: JL Subs Keep Blowing

Post by Big Block Power »

bruceb58 wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:20 pm Is this your amp?
https://www.amazon.com/XD600-Audio-Mono ... B003RW3YUG
I Believe that's a diff amp. This is what I found for specs on your amp. You can get the manual off the jl site. I didn't feel like posting it from my flip phone.
At 4 ohms your only sending 200w to each sub.

I'm running 300w to mine and no issues in 2 years. Granted I don't push them too hard. I have the gain set properly but I also have a reostat inline to control the output volume going to it. I run it around 50%most of the time to keep Mrs. Bbp happy in her chair seeing that it's right in frt of her.
Just looked and my sub is rated at 300.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
shrfdeputy
Captain
Captain

Post by shrfdeputy »

You guys have given me a bunch of info to sit down and discuss with him...once again. I really appreciate it.
1995 252
VP 7.4 GL
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

shrfdeputy wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:46 pm You guys have given me a bunch of info to sit down and discuss with him...once again. I really appreciate it.
Oh anytime. It's my pleasure πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I hope I gave you some sound advice 🀣🀣 see what I did there!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
shrfdeputy
Captain
Captain

Post by shrfdeputy »

Big Block Power wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:54 pm
shrfdeputy wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:46 pm You guys have given me a bunch of info to sit down and discuss with him...once again. I really appreciate it.
You definitely made some β€œnoise” on this post, and didn’t derail it one bit! πŸ˜‚
1995 252
VP 7.4 GL
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

shrfdeputy wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:10 pm
You definitely made some β€œnoise” on this post, and didn’t derail it one bit! πŸ˜‚
I was thinking that you lied you didn't like to hitch up the boat every weekend to bring to him.
You really did lie saying thatπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
so it gives you a reason to send me texts of 10 diff screen shots of the cameras on the truck. Lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
shrfdeputy
Captain
Captain

Post by shrfdeputy »

Big Block Power wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:18 pm

I was thinking that you lied you didn't like to hitch up the boat every weekend to bring to him.
so it gives you a reason to send me texts of 10 diff screen shots of the cameras on the truck. Lol
Well that part I DO actually like! And who ever heard of 5 cameras on a truck?! πŸ˜‚
1995 252
VP 7.4 GL
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

shrfdeputy wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:19 pm

Well that part I DO actually like! And who ever heard of 5 cameras on a truck?! πŸ˜‚
Right. It's cool crap! Did you let the princess drive it yet. See how I derailed this now!
Please don't block me.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
shrfdeputy
Captain
Captain

Post by shrfdeputy »

Big Block Power wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:23 pm

Right. It's cool crap! Did you let the princess drive it yet. See how I derailed this now!
Please don't block me.
She’s driven it. She likes her Durango better.
1995 252
VP 7.4 GL
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Hey Sheriff - We have a very similar setup - same Sub but little bit different amp setup. As BBP mentioned I installed all our stuff. Happy to help anyway I can. PM me if you have questions or need help. Stereo wiring isn't rocket science, we can get it figured out.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Currently Not a Boat Owner
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

bruceb58 wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:35 pm Do you know if the amp is wired to a preaamp output of the receiver?

The amp has two separate subwoofer outputs so that's likely how they are wired. The amp has those outputs wired internally in parallel. There is a sensitive input that can be set for speaker level signals(up to 8v) down to preamp levels(250mV). To adjust so that the output is lower, you need to have it set towards the speaker level. I believe setting it at 50% is still WAY to high.

If it were me, I would just throw my scope on it to see what the output levels are going to but since you likely don't have that luxury, I would turn on some music at a low level and adjust the sensitivity of the amp so its a lot less than what you currently have it set at and see how it goes. Who knows if that input sensitivity is a linear adjust. IOW, having at the 50% point on the dial, may not be 50%.

What is the filter frequency set at? Might as well have it at 200Hz since the speaker really isn't going to be outputting frequencies above that.

https://embed.widencdn.net/pdf/plus/jla ... f?u=ndijqi
You're most likely right, I am guessing the installer set the gain way too high, sounds great, customer is happy, until they start popping subs.

The JL 12's are rated for a good amount of power - the 10's not as much.

The right way to do it is to use a multimeter and a sine wave test tone so you can measure the actual wattage to each sub.

JL has a really good write up on the procedure and even lets you download the test tones on their website.

MultiMeters are cheap on amazon. Takes 10 minutes and you know the levels out of the amp are correct.

Then once that is complete go yell at the installer who should have done it the right way in the first place.
Last edited by NautiGirl on Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
KENTUCKY
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

shrfdeputy wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:44 pm
Big Block Power wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:23 pm

Please don't block me.
She’s driven it. She likes her Durango better.
Really! My wife actually hates the Durango and would rather drive the big truck.
Tell princess I'm disappointed. Lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

NautiGirl wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:13 pmMultiMeters are cheap on amazon. Takes 10 minutes and you know the levels out of the amp are correct.
Yep..just need to know if it's a mutimeter that measures RMS or not. If it isn't, you can always convert to RMS if you are using a true sine tone test signal.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

bruceb58 wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:24 pm
NautiGirl wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:13 pmMultiMeters are cheap on amazon. Takes 10 minutes and you know the levels out of the amp are correct.
Yep..just need to know if it's a mutimeter that measures RMS or not. If it isn't, you can always convert to RMS if you are using a true sine tone test signal.
If the subs are running in parallel they are putting a 2ohm load on the amp and are seeing 300watts each. They are only rated to 225 or 250 continuous cant remember which, but really that small difference shouldnt be popping them assuming they are getting good clean power and not clipping.

I am going to be nice and assume the installer used a meter and a sine test tone, but set the outputs to a target voltage for a 4ohm load. Easy honest mistake....Or he just set the gains to 11 said hear how loud that is? Awesome right!

We will give him the benefit of the doubt...but I would check the gain and crossover levels on all the outputs on both amps.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
KENTUCKY
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hey sheriff are both subs next to each other? I thought 1 was in the head?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
shrfdeputy
Captain
Captain

Post by shrfdeputy »

Big Block Power wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:48 pm Hey sheriff are both subs next to each other? I thought 1 was in the head?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1995 252
VP 7.4 GL