EVC System

marsbars34
Ensign
Ensign

EVC System

Post by marsbars34 »

I mentioned in another thread that I'm new to this forum and will have a bunch of dimwitted questions and here is another one. I just bought a 2012 Cobalt 296 with twin I/O and it has the Volvo Penta EVC system. My other boats never had this system so I'm doing my research as to how it works and watching videos, etc. Since I have it I should learn to use it correctly and there wasn't a manual with the boat to read. Anyhow, I have joystick control and that's pretty easy to figure out and I've driven a boat with it before so no biggie. The station button, throttle only, single lever are all simple to figure out as well. Cruise control seems simple but I wonder if anybody actually uses it instead of moving the throttle? I do have to cruise a short distance down a river in a no wake zone to get to the lake from the marina so I'm guessing I'll probably use it then but only because I have it. Moving throttle was never an issue before but, like I said, since I have it I may as well use it. But the real question I have is the trim assist button, the trim button on the lever and the two trim buttons (Trim PT, Trim SB) on the backside of the levers. I think I know the trim assist button automatically adjusts the angle of the props when you throttle up and get on plane versus trying to adjust them manually. I will confess that I have never adjusted the trim ever before as it was always down when you are in the water and up when its time to trailer. I know, I'm one of those guys but I'm trying to get better. Anyhow, I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between the trim button on the lever versus the trim buttons on the back side of the EVC control. I believe the trim on the lever is to manually set the prop angle instead of having the trim assist do it automatically, however, does it move them manually for both engines? And are the Trim PT and the Trim SB buttons for the trim tabs to move manually? Or is it the opposite? I'm so confused. And sorry for the long explanation but I have questions. Lots and lots of questions. Thanks in advance for any help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lee St.Clair
Commander
Commander

Re: EVC System

Post by Lee St.Clair »

That Electronic Vessel control system is a very complicated system. I don't have it but here is some info you will find helpful as far as the operation of your system is concerned:
https://monomarine.nl/volvopenta/prosal ... 706659.pdf
1996 Cobalt 190
5 litre Volvo/ Penta
UW blue lights
Ford 302 engine
Lee St.Clair
Commander
Commander

Post by Lee St.Clair »

Looking at your picture, I think the control on the left side is trim for the Port side engine (up or down). The one on the right would be trim for the starboard engine. The center one is for changing cruise speed incrementally up or down. This of course is if the EVC system is engaged. There should be 2 trim guages on your control panel and basically the trim should be the same on both outdrives..
1996 Cobalt 190
5 litre Volvo/ Penta
UW blue lights
Ford 302 engine
marsbars34
Ensign
Ensign

Post by marsbars34 »

Lee - Thanks for the info and the manual. It helped immensely. I'm going to read up on it and try it out in a few weeks when I'm back down by the boat. Thanks!
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

I use cruise as you described - to optimize speed in a no wake zone.

I have Trim Assist on all the time - and only tweak the trim as necessary.

Pretty sure trim on the throttle handle trims both engines, and trim PT/SB are for the individual drives.

I think the link Lee posted is to an installation manual? You should try and find the operators manual.

Here is a simple intro from BoatTest:
https://www.boattest.com/engine-review/ ... -%28EVC%29
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover