VP oil change?

rnr6
Ensign
Ensign

VP oil change?

Post by rnr6 »

So, I got the new R6 last week and am starting the break in period. I'm far from the closest dealer so I plan on changing my own oil after the 20 hours of break in. But the Volvo Penta books are surprisingly thin on any information about oil and filter. The only thing I could find said 7.5 quarts for the V8. I know it has a replaceable oil filter, but no VP part number. Nor anything about oil weight. Newer cars are running thinner and thinner oil. But I have no clue on this boat what oil weight to use. It's a GM block I think, which would suggest a thinner oil. My truck runs something like 5w-20 or maybe even 0-20.
Anyway, HELP. I have the V8, 5.3litre, 350hp VP. Anyone know what VP part number for the oil filter and what oil weight are you guys using in newer engines? mines a 2021 model

THANKS!
Elkhunter2372
Commander
Commander

Re: VP oil change?

Post by Elkhunter2372 »

If you go to the Volvo Penta website and look around you will find the ability to put in your engine serial number and then get to the online parts catalog. Go to the Service and Support link, then Manuals and Handbooks....put in your serial number. Should then give you an option for Electronic Parts Catalog.

Here's the part number for a gallon jug....21681795. It's a 10w-40. I ordered a quart just to keep in the boat.

And here's the part number for the filter....8692305.

I have a 2021 R3 with the same engine.
Bill Hampton
2021 Cobalt R3
Navy with Yellow Edge stripe, White bottom
350 HP Volvo Evc with Duo Prop
Grand Junction, CO

Lake Powell, UT
Western Colorado lakes
rnr6
Ensign
Ensign

Post by rnr6 »

Thanks Elkhunter. Just what I needed. I had gone to the VP website and put in my serial number. However, it said my dealer had not yet registered me so it seemed to limit what it would let me do.
But i'm good! thanks!
Stagdad
Commander
Commander

Post by Stagdad »

Elkhunter2372 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:10 pm If you go to the Volvo Penta website and look around you will find the ability to put in your engine serial number and then get to the online parts catalog. Go to the Service and Support link, then Manuals and Handbooks....put in your serial number. Should then give you an option for Electronic Parts Catalog.

Here's the part number for a gallon jug....21681795. It's a 10w-40. I ordered a quart just to keep in the boat.

And here's the part number for the filter....8692305.

I have a 2021 R3 with the same engine.
I change my own and Elkhunters numbers line up with mine. I have the 5.3 rated at 300.
Stagdad(Brian & Linda)
220s V8 300VP
Home Port Northern KY
Away Port Lake Cumberland / Dale Hollow
TruckerTim
Commander
Commander

Post by TruckerTim »

So the VP 350 has the cartridge type oil filter...?
2019 R7
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

TruckerTim wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:50 pm So the VP 350 has the cartridge type oil filter...?
I think they all do. My 2019 R3 has same 8692305. Apparently it's pretty popular.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Engine-P ... ore_id.366

I've found this place to be very helpful in making sure I order the right parts. If I remember correctly, you can even put your engine number in.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
TruckerTim
Commander
Commander

Post by TruckerTim »

So is there a special tool needed to access the cartridge, or is it just a bolt? Looking a changing the oil this weekend but can’t access the boat to see what I’m dealing with till Saturday and want to be prepared.
2019 R7
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

TruckerTim wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:18 pm So is there a special tool needed to access the cartridge, or is it just a bolt? Looking a changing the oil this weekend but can’t access the boat to see what I’m dealing with till Saturday and want to be prepared.
There's an oversize hex head on top of the canister housing, so a crescent wrench should work fine (assuming it's not a tiny one).
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
TruckerTim
Commander
Commander

Post by TruckerTim »

👍
2019 R7