Trailer loading a R5

jeffmeag
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Trailer loading a R5

Post by jeffmeag »

Hi Everyone, new to the forum and new to a Cobalt. Been boating for many years and now on my 4th boat, picked a 2017 Cobalt R5....am totally in love with this boat. The only problem that I am having is that it is very difficult to load the boat on my trailer. In all of my previous boats, I have pulled on to the trailer and been able to winch the boat up to contact the bow eye with the roller. On my Cobalt, I can only winch the boat up to within 2"-3" of the roller and have to power on the rest of the way....which I don't like to do. I have sprayed the bunks with MaryKate liquid rollers (which helped with unloading) and have switched to a Fulton F2, two speed winch, neither of which have helped.

I am curious if any other owners have the same problem and if anyone has a suggestion as to how to remedy this? My ramp is not particularly steep and I have used other ramps with the same results. I am thinking of moving to an electric winch, but I just spent $ on the F2 and the electrics are even more $$. Any thoughts would be helpful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 R5
Shale w Black Boot Stripe
VP 350 hp
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Trailer loading a R5

Post by Bfun220 »

My first thought would be to play with the depth of your trailer. Before I did anything else I would try backing your trailer in a little farther.
2018 r5
2003 220
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

+1 Welcome to the gang Jeff! I would do what Bfun said, just try backing that sucker in a little farther. You may have to add some guides like Tuscany did. Look around and you'll find some pictures.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Welcome!
I trailer mine, and it is a challenging load. These boats are big and tall. Not a cake walk for me either, but every time it gets easier.
I power mine on within a foot of the bow stop. Then my wife backs the trailer In a little further. I crank it the rest of the way with the prop spinning at idle at 100% trim to keep it moving forward. I lock it in and then shut down.
You do have to be backed in there pretty deep. I don't think I would want to electrically crank it up. IMO The feel is lost, and electrically cranking could put too much unneeded pressure on the bow eye.
Every time you load, you will gain experience with it.

Do you have a pic of your trailer?
Last edited by Tuscany on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I'm with you on this. Welcome from Wisconsin.
Every ramp is so different I have found.
The last time out I went in about 7/8 of the front of the fender showing and power load like normal and it was perfect. I've loaded 5 out of 20 times perfect. It will come go deeper. God that sounds bad :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:07 pm I'm with you on this. Welcome from Wisconsin.
The last time out I went in about 7/8 of the front of the fender showing and power load like normal and it was perfect. I've loaded 5 out of 20 times perfect. It will come go deeper. God that sounds bad :-)
You are on a roll tonight.. :lol:
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Tuscany wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:11 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:07 pm I'm with you on this. Welcome from Wisconsin.
I know thank gosh my wife just got home from a school meeting.lol
Last edited by Big Block Power on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:13 pm
I know thank fish my wife just got home from a school meeting.lol
Love it when spell check totally changes your sentences.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Tuscany wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:15 pm

You changed that to Make me look like a 5th grader. I rechecked and it's right.lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:18 pm
Tuscany wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:15 pm

You changed that to Make me look like a 5th grader. I rechecked and it's right.lol
I'm just wondering what fish you thanked? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeff, don't mind us, just know that this crowd is slightly.. ...different...
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
jeffmeag
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by jeffmeag »

Haha, I get the "different and find the comments hilarious. I appreciate the quick responses. I have messed with the depth of the trailer, but maybe still not deep enough. Tuscany---your response was interesting and I've never thought of leaving it in gear with trim down to help power on while cranking the winch.....curious if it's a bit scary though? I'm pretty hesitant with the electric winch as well....but now sure what other direction to go with. Here is a pic of the trailer (kind of)....(I'm pulling with a Ford F350 now though).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 R5
VP 350 hp
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey jeffmeag. Welcome to the CChat forum. So glad you found us!!!

Beautiful R5 u got there my friend.

We have also trailered all of our boats for the last 22 years of boat ownership.

Just purchased a 2005 263 and my wife and I did the sea trials with her this past weekend. Part of that involved going to the boat ramp at a slow time of day and meticulously working thru the process of launching, recovering and learning the nuances of a "new" boat. As you know every trailer, boat, and ramp are unique.

For launching, we noticed this current (263) trailer/boat set up required the trailer to be backed into the water further than our last (262)boat/trailer set up.

To determine optimum trailer submersion, we back the boat/trailer combo into the water with the winch strap loosened roughly 2 inches and connected. Slowly back down until the boat begins to slide causing the strap to become semi taut. Then unclip bow strap, and motor boat off the trailer.

Make a mental note of where the waterline is on the trailer and use this for retrieving as well. (For our current set up, it requires the front support boards to just be under the water near that first cross beam).

For retrieving, we SLOWLY drive the boat onto the trailer with outdrive trimmed up at 50% so as to not strain gimbal bearing yet keeping props clear of grounding . Boat goes 3/4 up trailer. Clip on bow strap. Turn engine off and raise outdrive up to 100%. Then crank up to bow roller.

Hope this helps.

Btw, One thing to be aware of is that sometimes the bow of the cobalt may be below the front vertical bow roller when retrieving if your trailer is in too deep. If this is the case, a simple bow roller trailer adjustment may be needed (unless you can bring trailer up the ramp slightly and still be able to pull the boat up. )

Again welcome. Hope you stay awhile!
Last edited by AsLan7 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I also leave mine in gear so it doesn't slide backwards. No big deal once you get used to it.
Aslan have great advise also.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

jeffmeag wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:42 pm Haha, I get the "different and find the comments hilarious. I appreciate the quick responses. I have messed with the depth of the trailer, but maybe still not deep enough. Tuscany---your response was interesting and I've never thought of leaving it in gear with trim down to help power on while cranking the winch.....curious if it's a bit scary though? I'm pretty hesitant with the electric winch as well....but now sure what other direction to go with. Here is a pic of the trailer (kind of)....(I'm pulling with a Ford F350 now though).
I don't leave the trim down, I raise it all the way up when idling while I'm cranking...just so it doesn't slip backwards while I'm on the ladder going down to the crank.
When I power on, I'm around 75%, but AsLan makes a great point. I may lower it more when powering on.
A side shot of your trailer would be helpful. Looks like a Heritage?

I have my trailer built with a tongue extension so my truck isn't in the water. I wish I extended it even longer because I have to go in deep..and I might just cut it and add another foot and a swing tongue this fall.
I also had two step plates welded to the top left rail so I don't slip and fall in the water. My wife would be doubled over laughing at me if that happened.
Last edited by Tuscany on Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
jeffmeag
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by jeffmeag »

AsLan7, thanks for the welcome, I've already found the forum interesting and helpful. I appreciate your input and suggestion on launching with a slightly loose strap to determine best depth for retrieval, I'm going to give that a shot. I feel as though I'm putting the trailer in pretty deep, deeper than I have with any other previous boat, but I also realize this boat is much taller and heavier than i've previously had. Maybe i'm just not deep enough yet...I'll keep trying. I definitely have not been below the bow roller yet, so that is not a problem. Trial and error I suppose.
2017 R5
VP 350 hp