Warranty info

(23SC, 25SC, 30SC, 24SD, 26SD)
Josie29
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Warranty info

Post by Josie29 »

Hi
I just bought a used 2017 cobalt sc 25 and I am a bit confused about warranty. It seems like I have a lot of questions and I thank the people on this forum for all the help I received so far.

This is what I understand about warranty Please correct me if I am wrong

Cobalt has a 10 year structural, 5 year bow to stern and 3 year gel coat. That is automatic when you buy the boat.

The previous owners bought an xtra 2 years on the merc verado motor which I will transfer for sure even if it costs $100.

Now p, they also seem to have this Premium limited warranty until june 2023 which costs $150 to transfer....it seems to me like an overlap of what is already there ( the cobalt warranty and xtra motor warranty )

Am I missing something? I am reading the fine print of this premium LIMiTeD warranty and there seems to be a lot of “not covered” stuff and also a deductible.

Does anybody have this and is able to explain to be the added benefits if any?

Thank you
J
2017 Cobalt SC25
Smiles per hour
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Warranty info

Post by bruceb58 »

2017 was 5 year engine and drive and 3 years bow to stern. 10 year hull
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Josie29
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Josie29 »

👍
2017 Cobalt SC25
Smiles per hour
CaptainTom
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by CaptainTom »

Hard to answer without seeing the fine print.

I am speculating that the Premier limited warranty is similar or (or is) the Passport Premier program (which was or still is brunswick product protection corporation). It would cover accessories that your extended engine warranty wouldn't. If it is like the Passport Premier program, there is a lot of fine print, exclusions, etc.... I wouldn't personally buy that policy for the full premium amount (others will certainly disagree), but if I could for one year ('22-'23) for the price of a $150 transfer fee I would to get that one year of coverage for accessories.

Make sure you get all the transfer paperwork done timely. Sometimes you only have, for example, 30 days from the date of sale to make the transfer.
Captain Tom
Dallas, TX
2018 R7
2013 273 "Marguerite"
Josie29
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Josie29 »

Thanks capt Tom. Yes it is the passport premium program and I only have 30 days to transfer. I read the paperwork and there are a lot of fine print like you say.
But nevertheless you are right and its probably worth the 150$. I just find it ridiculous I have to oay that much to change a name on a paper.

Thanks again
2017 Cobalt SC25
Smiles per hour