Hitting the Beach

Mike in SC
Captain
Captain

Hitting the Beach

Post by Mike in SC »

One of the things we like to do is find a beach and park it. If it's not too crowded, we'll usually back in so the drive is up but just clear of the bottom, set an anchor out front and drive a sand spike in the beach. I'll pull a line snug between an aft cleat and the sand spike and we're good to go.
Other times we'll raft up with a friend or two, sometimes just anchor out.
How you y'all hit the beach?
Beach the boat?
Anchor out and swim in?
Mike in SC
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Hitting the Beach

Post by bruceb58 »

Mike in SC wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:10 pm One of the things we like to do is find a beach and park it. If it's not too crowded, we'll usually back in so the drive is up but just clear of the bottom, set an anchor out front and drive a sand spike in the beach. I'll pull a line snug between an aft cleat and the sand spike and we're good to go.
Beach the boat?
Anchor out and swim in?
I do like you do but where we boat there is always a tree to tie to.

There is one place that we bring the boat sideways into the beach if it is dead calm.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Drive up on it! It hasn't been beached in 3 years though. So it's not very often we get a chance too. Out on Lake Superior the shore is more rocks so anchored out and walked in. Anchor in the back too to keep it just deep enough to not be on the rocks. No swimming to shore in that lake😂😂
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Lockey14s
Captain
Captain

Post by Lockey14s »

Mike in SC wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:10 pm One of the things we like to do is find a beach and park it. If it's not too crowded, we'll usually back in so the drive is up but just clear of the bottom, set an anchor out front and drive a sand spike in the beach. I'll pull a line snug between an aft cleat and the sand spike and we're good to go.
Beach the boat?
Anchor out and swim in?
We anchor exactly like this. makes it nice for getting on and off the boat, as well as entertaining at the swim platform. of course I always get nervous backing into shallow water so I stop way too far out and end up over my head. really fun trying to swim with an anchor haha.
1978 19CD "Benny"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Lockey14s wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:10 am
Beach the boat?
Anchor out and swim in?
We anchor exactly like this. makes it nice for getting on and off the boat, as well as entertaining at the swim platform. of course I always get nervous backing into shallow water so I stop way too far out and end up over my head. really fun trying to swim with an anchor haha.
I never met your wife but is that why she Always says stop here I'll throw you the anchor 😂
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Lockey14s
Captain
Captain

Post by Lockey14s »

Big Block Power wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:03 pm
Lockey14s wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:10 am
Beach the boat?
Anchor out and swim in?
I never met your wife but is that why she Always says stop here I'll throw you the anchor 😂
ohhh that explains it lol
1978 19CD "Benny"
Mike in SC
Captain
Captain

Post by Mike in SC »

We haven't beached our boat yet, but might be more likely once the water is warm. I think we get a little momentum going backwards and raise the outdrive, cut the engine and coast back until we decide to set the anchor. Then the spike goes to the beach.
Mike in SC
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

Tried to snorkel once in Superior while camping in a provisional park in Canada. That lasted about 10 feet! Think I said “watch chis” when I started. Lol

Dub
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Alaskabound wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:05 am Tried to snorkel once in Superior while camping in a provisional park in Canada. That lasted about 10 feet! Think I said “watch chis” when I started. Lol

Dub
Yes my buddy that grew up there has some great stories from up there. He brought his Nephew swimming and he's from Louisiana. Lol rude awakening. Lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Mike in SC
Captain
Captain

Post by Mike in SC »

I remember camping at the Terry Andrae state park with my family many years ago. Lake Michigan was cold! Only foolish kids swimming, no adults.
Mike in SC
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3