350-CE Exhaust Temperature Alarm

stifflkd
Captain
Captain

350-CE Exhaust Temperature Alarm

Post by stifflkd »

Have a 2021 R5 w/350-CE. On two occasions while running hard the Exhaust Temperature Alarm has gone off. Guessing restricted raw water flow at high RPM. Going through the process of checking for debris at water pump, exchanger and manifolds. Just wondering if others have experienced a similar issue and if the problem is inherent (ie. possible defect in the manifold casting, ect)
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
Elkhunter2372
Commander
Commander

Re: 350-CE Exhaust Temperature Alarm

Post by Elkhunter2372 »

stifflkd wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:47 am Have a 2021 R5 w/350-CE. On two occasions while running hard the Exhaust Temperature Alarm has gone off. Guessing restricted raw water flow at high RPM. Going through the process of checking for debris at water pump, exchanger and manifolds. Just wondering if others have experienced a similar issue and if the problem is inherent (ie. possible defect in the manifold casting, ect)
I had a similar alarm in January....but i was at idle right after start up and I think it ended up being an intake manifold temp sensor that failed. Dealer replaced it and no issues since. Do you have the Volvo Penta Easy Connect app on your phone? It connects to the software on the boat and allows you to email the codes directly to your dealer and they can pull them and kind of diagnose from there. I have both that app and also the Garmin Active Captain app which allows you to download and keep your Garmin software up to date. Pretty slick.
Bill Hampton
2021 Cobalt R3
Navy with Yellow Edge stripe, White bottom
350 HP Volvo Evc with Duo Prop
Grand Junction, CO

Lake Powell, UT
Western Colorado lakes
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Thanks, didn't know about the VP app. Dealer did not sound too surprised. Going to try and see if there is a restriction in the path. Hopefully I sucked up seaweed or something. Runs fine if I keep it under 4500, but if I go over that for a few minutes it will go into alarm. It would be nice if that sensor could be read on the dash or at the EVC
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
Elkhunter2372
Commander
Commander

Post by Elkhunter2372 »

stifflkd wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:20 am Thanks, didn't know about the VP app. Dealer did not sound too surprised. Going to try and see if there is a restriction in the path. Hopefully I sucked up seaweed or something. Runs fine if I keep it under 4500, but if I go over that for a few minutes it will go into alarm. It would be nice if that sensor could be read on the dash or at the EVC
The cool thing about the app is the fact that it allows you to email any and all codes directly to your dealer. My intake manifold sensor was a 5 minute repair once he had it but he wanted to check it out in the shop to make sure thats all it was....3.5 hour pull to Denver to his shop each way....but he picked it up and met me halfway on the return. I had emailed him the codes all directly from the lake.
Bill Hampton
2021 Cobalt R3
Grand Junction, CO

Lake Powell, UT
Western Colorado lakes
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Elkhunter2372 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:02 pm
stifflkd wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:20 am Thanks, didn't know about the VP app. Dealer did not sound too surprised. Going to try and see if there is a restriction in the path. Hopefully I sucked up seaweed or something. Runs fine if I keep it under 4500, but if I go over that for a few minutes it will go into alarm. It would be nice if that sensor could be read on the dash or at the EVC
The cool thing about the app is the fact that it allows you to email any and all codes directly to your dealer. My intake manifold sensor was a 5 minute repair once he had it but he wanted to check it out in the shop to make sure thats all it was....3.5 hour pull to Denver to his shop each way....but he picked it up and met me halfway on the return. I had emailed him the codes all directly from the lake.
Are you able to read Exhaust Temp on either the EVC or in the app? I am reading 1330 F when cold or running. Not sure if that is just a bogus number because the reading is not supported or if my sensor is bad.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
Elkhunter2372
Commander
Commander

Post by Elkhunter2372 »

Not sure…still playing with the app but when I had an alarm code it was easy to find in the app and email to the dealer
Bill Hampton
2021 Cobalt R3
Grand Junction, CO

Lake Powell, UT
Western Colorado lakes
colt45
Ensign
Ensign

Post by colt45 »

Did you have to buy the easy connect module or did it come installed on the boat? I have a 2020 R5 and I looked for the module but couldn't find it anywhere. I need the bluetooth code off of it to enter into the app. Where is yours located?
2020 R5
VP-350CE DP
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

If you have a VP-CE then you have it. You need to take off the top panel behind the helm. Access through the front bow seat.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

colt45 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:39 am Did you have to buy the easy connect module or did it come installed on the boat? I have a 2020 R5 and I looked for the module but couldn't find it anywhere. I need the bluetooth code off of it to enter into the app. Where is yours located?
Any pics Colt45?

And welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Elkhunter2372
Commander
Commander

Post by Elkhunter2372 »

colt45 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:39 am Did you have to buy the easy connect module or did it come installed on the boat? I have a 2020 R5 and I looked for the module but couldn't find it anywhere. I need the bluetooth code off of it to enter into the app. Where is yours located?
Bluetooth code was in my owners manual as part of the paperwork from the dealer on an individual piece of paper. He told me specifically to not lose that one as I would need it to connect.
Bill Hampton
2021 Cobalt R3
Grand Junction, CO

Lake Powell, UT
Western Colorado lakes
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

If he does not have the paper the PIN is printed on the label of the interface as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
colt45
Ensign
Ensign

Post by colt45 »

Thanks guys I found it under the panel. Everything is connected and communicating with my phone. Now just need to get back out on the water and see how well it works. I’ve had a exhaust temp warning when I travel at speeds around 5mph for 10 minutes or more.
2020 R5
VP-350CE DP
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

colt45 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:10 pm Thanks guys I found it under the panel. Everything is connected and communicating with my phone. Now just need to get back out on the water and see how well it works. I’ve had a exhaust temp warning when I travel at speeds around 5mph for 10 minutes or more.
Thanks for the update C45...and nice pic my friend!
How is she powered? 350?
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

colt45 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:10 pm Thanks guys I found it under the panel. Everything is connected and communicating with my phone. Now just need to get back out on the water and see how well it works. I’ve had a exhaust temp warning when I travel at speeds around 5mph for 10 minutes or more.
Exhaust Temp Alarm seems to be a common theme with this engine (300/35O-CE ?). I am fighting that issue on the other extreme. Occurs if I go over 4,500 RPM for a few minutes. Frustrating for a brand new boat.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
tannermullins2994
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tannermullins2994 »

i have a older cobalt 262 with 8.1Gi-b. 2002. im having trouble i have replaced every sensor on the boat even fuel pump. it has no power when you put it in the water at acceleration. it will eventually plain out and start to go. do i need to have the module reset or codes cleared out of it where i have pretty much replaced everything