Garmin 7607 Sonar Gain Adjustment - Anyone?

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
Marco4Ever
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Garmin 7607 Sonar Gain Adjustment - Anyone?

Post by Marco4Ever »

New2Me 2020 25SE about 1 month in and she is definitely my sweetheart.

Anyway - busy laying tracks around SWFL and have noticed intermittently depth reading of 1.2 where it should be 20+ feet. Powering the unit on/off sometimes helps, other times it magically reappears.

I have more hours than I want to admit reading the Garmin manual on the 7607 and also the Garmin website.

Found a helpful screen on the Garmin website " To make most adjustments to the sonar, begin from the HOME screen and select Sonar > Traditional > Menu > Gain Controls the sensitivity of the transducer affecting its ability to see smaller targets. High gain is best in clear water. Very dirty or shallow water may create picture distortion." It goes on to suggest turning off the Automatic Gan and switch to Manual Gain Up/Down.

I can not for the life of me figure out how to find these type of adjustments - that is, unless, I have to setup my own screens within the Charting and once I am doing that the Gain Adjustment Appears.

The website covers a lot of control capabilities deep within the different views which is all well and good (any very cool) except what I am really trying to display on my cruising screen is the Water Depth, Fuel, GPS Speed, Engine Temp, Compass and Location Map.

From reading a lot of postings on this great knowledge source CobaltChat, I am thinking that I need to purchase the correct brand of Mini SD Card and update the software via Active Captain.

Through Hull Transducer set up as per the software info screens (attached)

Any thoughts, short cuts or general wisdom is most appreciated and thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Kevin

Marco Island, FL
2020 25SC 300 Yamaha
Look for the Smiling Dog. . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marco4Ever
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Garmin 7607 Sonar Gain Adjustment - Update

Post by Marco4Ever »

Learned: The Intelliducer has integrated sonar and communicates with your MFD over NMEA 2000, it only provides digital depth.

You need a normal transducer connected to the Garmin sonar connector to be able to control the sonar performance from your MFD.

Based on exploring CobaltChat using Depth Finder key words - it appears this is something I need to learn to live with while exploring hassle/price of upgrading to a normal transducer.

Just wanted to FYI
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Garmin 7607 Sonar Gain Adjustment - Anyone?

Post by AsLan7 »

Thanks for documenting this with pics and follow up. You da’ man M4e. 👍🏻
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Marco4Ever
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Marco4Ever »

7607 vs 7607XSV

Chatted with Garmin Rep online and found out that the Garmin 7607 model does not have Sonar expansion Capabilities without purchasing additional product like GSD 25. Plus and this is a big plus:

"If you use the installed intelliducer all you will get from it is traditional view sonar. If you want traditional, clearvu, and sidevu you will need either a GT51 or a GT52 plus the GSD 25."

So bottom line, its cheaper to upgrade to XSV device.

Oh well, BOAT.
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

I have a 2014 R5 with just a standard depth gauge and a couple times a day the depth will read 1.2’ when I know it’s deeper than that. My old boats did the same thing at times. I have noticed that it usually happens when I am moving slow and I can usually get the depth to read correctly by putting the boat in reverse for a few seconds. I don’t know what that has to do with depth reading but it usually comes back with the correct depth reading after I do that.