Off season, other than boating hobbies?

(non-boating; no politics!)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Off season, other than boating hobbies?

Post by Tuscany »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:54 pm I'm a Ski Doo guy through and through. To me they are like the Cobalt brand. You pay more you get more and fit and finish and they hold their value better. I went one time or two time or max three times a year. All my riding the last 15 years was in the U.P. On Lake Superior.
Ski-Doo is very popular here also.
If there is a price leader here, it’s the Cat Turbos. Now that they have switched to the Yamaha turbo Triple, they are getting up there with the price of a new car.

Fit and finish? IMO, I don’t consider a Doo in the same regard of a Cobalt. Any of the big four seem to be very well built, tight fitting, well planned out reliable sleds and I would be proud to own any of them.

Each has their niche. Doo has their clean burning engines, reliability and RMotion. Polaris sells super light weight, and may be as common as Doo around here. Maybe equal suspension to the rmotion.
Cat has the torque and top speed, and the unique ability to tune to over 300 hp😛.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Bfun220 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:28 pm
Tuscany wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:28 am We ride a pair of these Arctic Cat Z1 1100 turbos with aftermarket tuning and exhaust pumped to 240 horses.
They are 2011 models we bought in the spring of 2012, and I'll probably keep them long term because of the smooth ride and wind coverage. And frankly, snow has become unpredictable. If you think the boating season is short, there is even less incentive to buy a snowmobile. We found them at an overstocked dealer after a snowless winter. We bought them in the crates as leftovers.

They are four stroke heavy though, and takes a little man handling in the trails to stay with the lighter two strokers. The new sleds are stripped down for weight savings, and the frontal coverage is gone. Doesn't matter how cold it gets, no wind ever touches us, and we're always warm.
Very nice.
Would love to hear how they sound.
I had Yamaha's two strokes for many years. If I still had a snowmobile I'd probably would have switched to artic cat. Maybe a snow pro 8000. I do miss snowmobiling but I dont miss dragging sleds on the trailer chasing where the snow is. Our season was just too short.

I've always Been a Cat rider. As BB will attest, snowmobilers are fiercely brand loyal.
The new Cats or Yamacats are IMHO the best looking sled on the market, but since there are so many new leftovers to be had cheap, resale around here for any used sled is in the toilet.

Snow isn't a given here either. We sit directly in the lake effect snow belt, so our snow chances are better than most, and we can hit the trail system from my house. Two years ago was incredible all winter long. Last year was pretty dry, and very disappointing. Zero quality rides last year. We went out twice. Once in heavy wet snow, and the other in almost no snow.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Yes very brand loyal on sleds. Myself its Doo or Polaris. We don't ride trails. I messed up two years ago and I should have bought a end of season sled. They were like $14000 or so new down to under $9000. There were so many around. I couldn't imagine being a sled dealer.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:49 pm Yes very brand loyal on sleds. Myself its Doo or Polaris. We don't ride trails. I messed up two years ago and I should have bought a end of season sled. They were like $14000 or so new down to under $9000. There were so many around. I couldn't imagine being a sled dealer.
Same deal here.
Last years models that retailed for 16k will soon be available for about 9k if you have cash in hand.
I guess you have to really be into it to want to flush cash down the toilet to have the latest and greatest.

If you ride a Cat, you learn to not buy the latest, you buy the following year or two. They make power, but it took them three years to figure out how to keep a drive belt from exploding on every speed run.
My 2011 Z1 had all of their bugs worked out, and has never given us a problem. The new style 2012-15' ProCross chassis 😱🤕..
I'll pass..
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Tuscany wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:39 am
Big Block Power wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:49 pm Yes very brand loyal on sleds. Myself its Doo or Polaris. We don't ride trails. I messed up two years ago and I should have bought a end of season sled. They were like $14000 or so new down to under $9000. There were so many around. I couldn't imagine being a sled dealer.
Same deal here.
Last years models that retailed for 16k will soon be available for about 9k if you have cash in hand.
I guess you have to really be into it to want to flush cash down the toilet to have the latest and greatest.

If you ride a Cat, you learn to not buy the latest, you buy the following year or two. They make power, but it took them three years to figure out how to keep a drive belt from exploding on every speed run.
My 2011 Z1 had all of their bugs worked out, and has never given us a problem. The new style 2012-15' ProCross chassis 😱🤕..
I'll pass..
I was a cat guy awhile ago. ZL600. You know a cat when it's got a can.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

Ytmsn wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:06 pm Nautie my evil black rifle pictured is a silenced LMT. I'm about to buy a silenced 300 blackout though. It's pretty pointless to silence a 556 round.

Twoburgers I've had a passion for dirt bikes pretty much all my life. I've had 12 different models of adventure bikes and lots of dirt bikes. I used to race off road before I got old and fat... Now my off time usually has something to do with grand babies or lake time and boating. A Husky 510 is a great bike! I've owned a 520, 525 and 530. Pretty much all the same motor, and just like your bike with orange plastic. Now my off road bike a KTM 350 Six Days.

Bfun those are some sweet shooters! Here is a Springfield EMP I like a lot.
20140408_195852.jpg
Not sure how I missed this.
Nice gun. Springfield makes some nice guns. My brother shoots Springfield.
2018 r5
2003 220
vans
Captain
Captain

Post by vans »

Last night, first pic Is of deer I watched for 30 minutes, had a nice buck come in, second pic is just showing ground from stand,
1DE2E470-74D8-4930-A344-F04590EED751.jpeg
E8D95CD1-A8FE-4593-8C7E-48D0A7CEAB02.jpeg
I spend time in woods, love to Deer hunt, also have a wood shop which I spend time in, then it’s ice fishing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Cool Vans! I never did the hunting thing ( I think it's something your father passes on to you and we never had hunters in our family)....which is surprising due to the amount of hunter's we have in PA. In fact, they actually cancel school for the first day of deer hunting season up here! Apparently they cannot find enough substitute teachers in this neck of the woods. :?

Wish they could hunt the deer more often. They are a real hazard to people and cars up here. See deer every day "exploded" all over the highway from trucks hitting them. Three deer on my front porch this morning! They are so domesticated. Get up here and shoot them!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
vans
Captain
Captain

Post by vans »

Wish we had your population, we’ve been through some diseases that have reduced population.
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

vans wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:32 pm Last night, first pic Is of deer I watched for 30 minutes, had a nice buck come in, second pic is just showing ground from stand,
1DE2E470-74D8-4930-A344-F04590EED751.jpegE8D95CD1-A8FE-4593-8C7E-48D0A7CEAB02.jpegI spend time in woods, love to Deer hunt, also have a wood shop which I spend time in, then it’s ice fishing
I'm hoping to get out next week. I think bow hunting is the best. Good luck to ya.
2018 r5
2003 220
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

One of my good buddies and I took our cars out to the track yesterday. We did a NASA event, signed up for the HDPE1 group where you have an instructor ride with you. I had a blast, my buddy not so much, he spun a rod bearing his first session :( My instructor was awesome, even took me for a ride in his 2001 (or 2003?) E46 M3 race car. Now that was fun!!! My car did great, I can see doing this on a semi-regular basis. Just need a set of better tires, the car can definitely out perform the street tires that are on it.
IMG_2122.jpg
IMG_2123.jpg
IMG_2124.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Custom numbering :)
IMG_20171028_151015.jpg

...and the tow of shame. RIP Saabaru :(
IMG_20171028_125931.jpg
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

AsLan7 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:17 am .
Cool Vans! I never did the hunting thing ( I think it's something your father passes on to you and we never had hunters in our family)....which is surprising due to the amount of hunter's we have in PA. In fact, they actually cancel school for the first day of deer hunting season up here! Apparently they cannot find enough substitute teachers in this neck of the woods. :?

Wish they could hunt the deer more often. They are a real hazard to people and cars up here. See deer every day "exploded" all over the highway from trucks hitting them. Three deer on my front porch this morning! They are so domesticated. Get up here and shoot them!
I constantly have to watch coming in my own driveway..
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

My instructor was awesome, even took me for a ride in his 2001 (or 2003?) E46 M3 race car. Now that was fun!!! My car did great, I can see doing this on a semi-regular basis. Just need a set of better tires, the car can definitely out perform the street tires that are on it.

Great pics and love the color. Nothing like that exhilarating acceleration feeling as you mash the pedal coming out of the turn onto the straight away. :D :D :D
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

This was my hobbie today. I hate yard work. It was warm 41 degrees today so I thought I would get the leaves off my grass.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!