R3 Rumble Seat vs. My Cell Phone

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: R3 Rumble Seat vs. My Cell Phone

Post by Krob1114 »

Wife's cell phone did fall through the inside or right side of the passenger seat.
We were able to get it through the compartment where the battery switch is located.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Post by BobRae99 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:11 pm

Krob1114 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:36 pm
Yes, that's the seat. I didn't fix it myself. Our dock manager found the screws. He said they were in the corners and I think he had to pull back a little on each corner to get to them.
I reached out to my dealer, who reached out to Cobalt. Cobalts says that if the phone fell down the outboard slot of the co-pilot seat, you can reach it by removing the carpeted bulkhead. If it fell through the slot closer to the centerline (right side of the seat when you are seated facing forward) then the only way to get into the area is to cut a 6" hole in the side of the ski locker and then install a 6" round hatch, which they can supply.

I'm going to try assorted gripper tools or a couple of wire hangers to snag the phone and bring it up. Pretty poor design in my opinion. I think losing stuff through these slots is foreseeable. I'd rather leave this spare iPhone trapped in the cavity than start cutting 6" holes in my new boat.

In the future, I'll be warning passengers of the risk.

Our phone fell thru to the right side of the co-captain's seat. We were still able to get it out by removing the front panel in the battery switch compartment. No cutting. One screw driver. Four screws.
Home in Hernando, MS
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

Krob1114 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:52 am Wife's cell phone did fall through the inside or right side of the passenger seat.
We were able to get it through the compartment where the battery switch is located.
Thanks Krob, I'll give it a try tomorrow when I get out to the lake. I could cut a hole, but if I can find the screws and remove the bulkhead, that would be my preference. :)
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

Update:

I followed Krob's advice (above) and removed the carpeted bulkhead in the battery switch locker on my boat and gained access to the underside of the co pilot seat cooler. I noticed that there is also a space aft of the cooler on teh same "shelf". That is where I found my iPhone.

A word of caution, if you are a bit svelt (I'm 5'8" 190 lbs), it is a tight fit and you have to go in head first. It is a deep locker so backing out with your arms (and my wasitline) can be a challenge. Suffice it to say, next time an iPhone or something else valuable drops into that area, I'll be sending my 9 year old in to get it.

As to Cobalt's advice to cut a hole from the rear port side of the ski locker, that was bad advice. A ho;e cut in this area would get you behind the bulkhead from the forward position of it (if you get my meaning) but doesn't get you to the rear of the shelf under the cooler - which is where I found our iPhone.

Battery compartment locker looking towards the bow. Removed carpeted bulkhead almost lines up with the silver screw head on the right side of the picture. There were two screws at the top and two screws near the bottom securing the bulkhead to an aluminum bracket and one screw securing the bracket to the adjacent bulkhead. remove that screw, as the braket will otherwise be in the way of removal.
IMG_2345.jpeg
Same compartment, looking under the cooler towards the centre line of the boat
IMG_2347.jpeg
Phone was found on the rubber lined shelf just aft of the carpeted trim at the right side.
IMG_2348.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Nice update with pictures Bob. I would call Cobalt and let them know that.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

Big Block Power wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:09 pm Nice update with pictures Bob. I would call Cobalt and let them know that.
Thanks. I plan to. For those who may refer to this thread in the future, a few more pictures of the carpeted bulkhead in place.

IMG_2351.jpg
IMG_2354.jpg
IMG_2352.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

I reached out to my dealer, who reached out to Cobalt. Cobalts says that if the phone fell down the outboard slot of the co-pilot seat, you can reach it by removing the carpeted bulkhead. If it fell through the slot closer to the centerline (right side of the seat when you are seated facing forward) then the only way to get into the area is to cut a 6" hole in the side of the ski locker and then install a 6" round hatch, which they can supply.

My wife's phone fell through center of boat. We were still able to get it out by removing carpet in battery area.
Home in Hernando, MS
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

I'll have to remember when I upgrade to a newer Cobalt to check these places for hidden treasures!
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

akorcovelos wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:51 am I'll have to remember when I upgrade to a newer Cobalt to check these places for hidden treasures!
Too funny!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

akorcovelos wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:51 am I'll have to remember when I upgrade to a newer Cobalt to check these places for hidden treasures!
I'm with you man 🤣🤣hopefully no one else reads this thread. Warning if you drop anything Down there you can't get to it 👍🤣🤣
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Up date.
Anyone have the new iPhone 11?
Wonder if it'll fall through?
Home in Hernando, MS
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

Krob1114 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:51 am Up date.
Anyone have the new iPhone 11?
Wonder if it'll fall through?
I don't have it, but it will, as will Samsung, Huawei, LG, etc. They are all about the same thickness.
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

My only daughter turned 21 yesterday. Doing great in college, only child, used to getting what she wants.
Wanted a new iPhone 11 Pro Max for her birthday. The 256 gig was $1385. I made her pay all but $500 because as an adult, with drinking privileges, you have to learn the value of a dollar, budgets, savings, etc. Dinner for us with her boyfriend this weekend will probably be $250.
Anyway, I'll be able to answer my own question, but probably next spring.
Home in Hernando, MS
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Krob1114 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:30 am My only daughter turned 21 yesterday. Doing great in college, only child, used to getting what she wants.
Wanted a new iPhone 11 Pro Max for her birthday. The 256 gig was $1385. I made her pay all but $500 because as an adult, with drinking privileges, you have to learn the value of a dollar, budgets, savings, etc. Dinner for us with her boyfriend this weekend will probably be $250.
Anyway, I'll be able to answer my own question, but probably next spring.
Hey happy 21st birthday to your daughter K11111114! Smart way to handle that gift. 👌🏻

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Gezellig1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gezellig1 »

@BobRae99, i know this is an old post, but did Cobalt send you the pic of where to drill? Not a hypothetical question unfortunately... :?