Garmin connectivity to engine data

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
Luv2HuntAR
Commander
Commander

Garmin connectivity to engine data

Post by Luv2HuntAR »

At the very of the day on Saturday and for the fist time, there was no engine, fuel, or trim data available on my Garmin. It was late, and I was putting her on the lift. I shut her down and restarted and couple of times to see see if it would correct itself, and it did not. I’m headed there on Saturday, and if the problem remains, I’d like a few ideas where to start running this problem down.

I recall a thread where somebody asked a similar question, but I can’t for the link after exploring the site. There was a lot of good info in there. Does anyone knowLillys already.
Lake Ouachita- Mountain Harbor
Little Rock, AR
tbully
Commander
Commander

Re: Garmin connectivity to engine data

Post by tbully »

Make sure you try to disconnect batteries to reset everything.

Also, make sure you didn't move to another screen on accident. Some of my unused screens point to instruments that aren't available on the bus (e.g. Tach for a second engine, etc). Going from memory - I think it is the "menu" button at the center/bottom. There should be quick links there and one called "cruise" (or something like that). That should bring up your "default" gauges.
2017 R7 6.0 430 VP
2019 R7 6.2 430 VP
Luv2HuntAR
Commander
Commander

Post by Luv2HuntAR »

Thank you for the input. Tried all the above this weekend. No luck. Dang. Sent a note to my dealer.
Little Rock, AR
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Show us a picture of what you are seeing. It might be as simple as replacing the data and re-entering
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

At least you won't hit a mountain:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
Luv2HuntAR
Commander
Commander

Post by Luv2HuntAR »

The pic is a little fuzzy, but all I get is GPS tracking, GPS Speed, and Voltage ….. no depth, water temp, fuel, rpm, and other engine data. I went into the installation section and tried to auto detect …. nada. zippo. nuthin’. It does, however, show 1 engine. This is a good thing because that’s all I have. If it showed a deuce, well, that would be even more confusing and maybe a little disappointing. I suspect all the missing data feeds into one point where the Garmin picks it up and consolidates it into one or two of the cables coming into the unit. The depth transducer probably feeds directly to the Garmin. I have no clue where that might be. Thx for any input. I’ve been able to avoid all mountains that I’ve come upon to date.
Little Rock, AR
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Have you tried to go into each individual display and replace data and then re-configure to the same data? This happened to me when I replaced a defective VP EasyConnect. It does not sound like you did that but what do you have to lose. The EasyConnect module acts like a bridge between the VP EVC and NMEA network that the glass panel pulls the data from. If the above does not work perhaps you have an issue with the EasyConnect, i.e. loose connection, power ect. PM me if you want to talk this thru.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
Luv2HuntAR
Commander
Commander

Post by Luv2HuntAR »

I’ve been crazy busy traveling, building things, and farming. I haven’t had time to run down and try additional recommendations. I broke down and called my dealer. It should be under warranty. I’ll update when I hear from my service folks.
Little Rock, AR
MattJSicilia
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MattJSicilia »

Having the same issue as posted by Luv2Hunt. Hoping you can share how this was resolved? Looks like the same Garmin screens (742Plus). All was working fine. Turned things on this past Saturday. Speed, GPS Position and GPS Hdg were fine, but no other instruments had readings (depth, rpm, trim, fuel etc.). Thanks, Matt.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

So glad you found us MJS….. hopefully you get your issue resolved soon. And welcome aboard mate.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

MattJSicilia wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:14 am Having the same issue as posted by Luv2Hunt. Hoping you can share how this was resolved? Looks like the same Garmin screens (742Plus). All was working fine. Turned things on this past Saturday. Speed, GPS Position and GPS Hdg were fine, but no other instruments had readings (depth, rpm, trim, fuel etc.). Thanks, Matt.
Just yesterday, I started having the same issue with my Garmin 7607 on my 2017 R5.

If you do find your issue, would love to see what you find. Likewise, I will post any results I find.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Sounds like there is an issue with communication on the NMEA backbone. All GPS functionality and house battery readings are internal to the Garmins. Engine parameters and depth/temp are communicated to the backbone and the Garmins receive the data from it.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

stifflkd wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:13 am Sounds like there is an issue with communication on the NMEA backbone. All GPS functionality and house battery readings are internal to the Garmins. Engine parameters and depth/temp are communicated to the backbone and the Garmins receive the data from it.
So....Going to post my findings today. Not sure if I should start a new thread or just continue this one.

Took off the panel behind the dash to access the NMEA 2000 Network. Found that the lights on the Gateway are suspect. The CAN light is solid. The NMEA light sometimes comes on but most of the time it doesn't light. Checked power on the NMEA 2000 bus and it is solid. Plugged in my DIACOM Rinda into the Smartcraft junction box on the same connection that goes to the Gateway and it receives data fine over that CAN interface.

Decided to bite the bullet and buy a new Gateway to the tune of $590 including tax. Hopefully it arrives soon to give it a try.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Post by Norris_Boating »

A couple of thoughts, Garmin actually has great support if you call in. Usually a 2-3 hour hold but you can leave your number and they WILL call you back so you don't have to wait on hold. When my Garmin GXM53 weather radar stopped working, they went through some steps with me at my boat, decided it was a power supply issue, sent me a new one and got it up and running at no cost.

A couple of things to try while waiting on hold. If you haven't already, download Garmin active captain on your phone and update the software on the boat. Probably not the problem but if nothing else the newer software is much faster.

Under my throttle is a Volvo gauge that reports various engine readings, if this also isn't showing the accurate readings then the issue is likely the engine computer.
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
Luv2HuntAR
Commander
Commander

Post by Luv2HuntAR »

The Garmin connectivity to engine data has been a recurring issue for me as well; I posted something about it a year or so ago. I've had a couple of folks PM me (including bruceb58) over the past couple of years regarding the same. I'm a CPA not an electrician, and the info above is great and more than what I've had to go on since this issue first occurred. Please update this thread as progress occurs. My Volvo gauge works fine which eliminates one of my variables. Thx.
Little Rock, AR