Trading up to an A25 or R5 or R7? I have questions

Traveller14
Commander
Commander

Trading up to an A25 or R5 or R7? I have questions

Post by Traveller14 »

Hi I'm new to this group. I've read many threads and it's been very helpful. I still have a few questions though and it seems there are a few people here that like to talk boats so here goes. I have a 2013 Regal 2300 300hp which has been a great boat for us. The wife wants bigger to feel safer and I don't need my arm twisted too far to look at the next level up. So I was interested in people's opinion on the 3 boats mentioned. I've pretty much decided on 430hp, tower and no Surf but not the exact boat. At first I liked the A25 but now I like the R series better. The local dealer salesman also said the R was taking over sales wise. He also tried to push an R5 Surf on me as a better boat even if I don't surf but I don't buy that one. What's your opinion on A vs R? Next I'm wondering about R5 or R7. The extra room would be nice as we have a lot of guests but it can cause docking issues on our lake as some spaces are smaller or crowded. I don't want to be the guy who dings the next boat trying to shoehorn into a spot while everyone on the patio bar is watching. Finally I'm wondering about top end. I assume all these will go in the 55mph neighborhood. I know that shouldn't be important but....
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Trading up to an A25 or R5 or R7? I have questions

Post by Big Block Power »

Welcome from Wisconsin. I think you made up your own mind. The R5 sounds like your right choice. But the width isn't the issue between r5 & r7
No one ever complains my boat is too long and has to big of a engine.lol
Southern and Tuscany can really help you on this. Congrats
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Post by Skiingstrongman »

Does he have an A25 in stock? It looks like they don't have the A25 listed on the site anymore for 2018.

I don't think there's an appreciable difference docking a 25 or 27 foot boat honestly. My marina is absurdly right and it hasn't been an issue. Just keep it slow and don't throttle more than you're willing to hit something. Having great dockhands trained is invaluable. You'll never wish you had a smaller boat Tuscany has the VP 430 so ask him about top end and cruise efficiency. You're in a good spot because all the boats are great.
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Southernboatman »

Welcome Traveller14. Yes all are great so select what best suits you for your needs. Cabin or open bow? R5 or R7? Mine is R5 with vp380. Out of the hole is great and top end max is 53mph. I always top off gas water and am loaded with drinks family, gear etc so usually 50 max on a good day. So no doubt the 430 will add to this.
Tuscany can tell you more on the R7 and how to go through a special process to get a free engine!
Glad to have you and good luck deciding! Next come the options to get or add!
2014 R5, Black on Black & White Edge Stripe
Volvo Penta 380hp
2ridgebacks
Captain
Captain

Post by 2ridgebacks »

Sounds like you are sold on an R series, but FWIW, my A25 will run 54 with 5 people, cooler, and full gas. 55 with me in it in the way to the ramp. That's w the 400hp VP.
2012 A25
Volvo 8.1 400hp
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Trading up to an A25 or R5 or R7? I have question

Post by Tuscany »

Welcome!
There isn't one sane person on this forum, so enter at your own risk. :D

I was in the same boat as you, pun intended.
I planned on ordering. I waited for the International boat show in Toronto to make my decision. I wanted to see both close up and side by side to see if the extra cost was worth it. Once you have decided to bite the bullet, you might as well look at it as "how much more" of a difference to get exactly what you want. A few extra bucks at purchase is a lot easier to swallow when going new, and kicking yourself later for coming up short and would, coulda, shoulda.

Upside:
There is an extra foot+ in the rear side seat, making the table useful and entertaining much easier. No cramming. Two people can stretch out on the side seating without touching.
The deal maker for me was and an extra 14" + inches in the bow with more of a square, rather than round shape. Three can fit three people stretched out very comfortably with the bow cushion insert.
77 vs. 50 gallon fuel tank, which was another deal maker for me.

There is a cockpit sink with two cup holders on the side available on the 7 which we use all the time washing hands and cleaning up silverware and stuff like that.
Longer heavier boat, better ride. Still handles like a small boat. Very predictable.

Downside:
Obviously, the extra cost. If you trailer, it's a lot more weight to load.

As far as the 430, my top speed so far was 57 mph. That's a lot of extra coin for a few extra mph. So that may be a place to save and inable you to move up.

On the surf, if you are a surfer, fine. Great fun for those who love water sports or kids growing up like BB. I'd be all over it 10 years ago.
If not, It's an expensive and somewhat a 'trade off' option.
All of your storage is taken up by ballast tanks, and the cost difference is obvious. Plus, you can not use the tabs on that boat past 15 mph, which renders them useless for regular boating.
IMO, trim tabs are an absolute must because they have a MAJOR impact on ride. You can smooth out the chop down to almost nothing with trim tabs. The reverse drive would be very problematic for our usage.

Any more questions, please don't be afraid to ask.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Edit,
My above post was the differences between an R5 and R7, for my use.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Traveller14
Commander
Commander

Post by Traveller14 »

Thanks for the great feedback guys. I like the line 'you'll never wish you had a smaller boat' and the 57mph is reassuring. The comments are pushing me more to the R7. We won't ever trailer as it will be kept at the lake. Our dock is very exposed and usually has a cross wind but I think I have it figured out now with the Regal which is also 8'6" wide so should be ok. Tuscany and Southernboatman, the pictures of your boats look great in the other thread. I'm going to go with one of those 2 colours/looks.

Incidentally I did look up the A25 after I posted last night and it was gone from the website. I wonder if a new version is in the works or if its cancelled.
Traveller14
Commander
Commander

Post by Traveller14 »

Oh - another question. There are 2 arch options. Any advantages one over another or is it just appearance?
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

One folds.

The A 25 is a goner. The R series lines are tough to pass on...
In guessing the A 28 will be gone next year.

Big picture.. if you are ordering a new boat, the 7 is a lot more boat for a little more money.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Traveller14
Commander
Commander

Post by Traveller14 »

Dang how did I miss the folding part? I assumed they both folded. Glad I asked as I need folding. I'm not sure it doesn't look better anyway.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

No skiers in my family. It would have been an expensive Bimini canvas holder for me.
I ordered the EZ fold Bimini, huge coverage, but the factory an out of the slider parts. Still patiently waiting.. Patience set to run out next week.

Tough to imagine a sweeter looking boat line than Cobalt...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Traveller14
Commander
Commander

Post by Traveller14 »

The matching hull and bottom IMO is much nicer that the boat colours on the website. Gorgeous boat!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

2ridgebacks wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:15 am Sounds like you are sold on an R series, but FWIW, my A25 will run 54 with 5 people, cooler, and full gas. 55 with me in it in the way to the ramp. That's w the 400hp VP.
The A25 is a sexy son of a gun. I don't know the differences between the A25, R5, or 7, or any other boat for that matter. I just know when I go by the A25 that's in our Marina it makes my motor gin!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Ytmsn wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:03 pm
2ridgebacks wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:15 am Sounds like you are sold on an R series, but FWIW, my A25 will run 54 with 5 people, cooler, and full gas. 55 with me in it in the way to the ramp. That's w the 400hp VP.
The A25 is a sexy son of a gun. I don't know the differences between the A25, R5, or 7, or any other boat for that matter. I just know when I go by the A25 that's in our Marina it makes my motor gin!
They are good looking boats, R5 hull may be sportier, but honestly I think the space is better used in the A25 layout. We really don't need the on board head in the R5, so thats all space that could be used for storage. Hell in some respects I think the R5 would actually offer less storage space than our current 222.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Merc Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"