Scratches

TruckerTim
Commander
Commander

Scratches

Post by TruckerTim »

Let's start with I KNOW NOTHIING ABOUT BUFFING OR REMOVING SRCATCHES..... Always waxed my boats and have been successful getting VERY mild scuffs out but not as bad as what I have now.

Issue is I have some light scratches from my procrastinating on buying fender covers, (just ordered) and looking for the best option to get these out. Researching on line, I see 3M 09004 Marine Rubbing Compound and Maguiar's M6732 Marine One Step Compound both get great reviews and seem to be able to handle what I have. (?) I'm not comfortable using a high speed buffer so wondering if either of these will work and get my scratches out by hand...?

Wool pads; microfiber; 100% Terry Cloth...?? :shock:

Open for tips on other products that may work better.

Also, I have read where some of these products will leave swirl marks. Any tips on keeping that from happening or removing them if the appear?
2019 R7
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Scratches

Post by dustinm »

I dont think doing it by hand will be very fast. Do you have a buffer? If not you can get a cheap orbital they are very easy learn on and to use for a beginner because they are not aggressive at all. The problem with a job like this for an orbital is that it takes forever.

My Dewalt high speed buffer has a variable speed knob to let you slow it down which also helps with learning. When you get the hang of it then just speed it up
CS23
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey TT.
Those products may work on your light scratches. It's hard to tell without a pic. Deeper scratches will require a quick wet sand. Not too difficult really.

We just had our boat buffed and waxed last weekend by a professional detailer. They are fans of the Meguiar's 67 product you mentioned for quickly removing light oxidation and restoring gelcoat shine due to the oils in the product. Afterward we purchased a bottle at AutoZone with a coupon for about $21 out the door. It might not have enough cutting compound in it though to get through your scratches. If they are rub marks from the fenders then it will do the job. If they are light scratches in the gelcoat then you may have to go into a rubbing compound such as the 9004. Start with a microfiber cloth first. Wipe some on and use some elbow grease as you rub back and forth. Then take it off as per the instructions. Reapply and repeat. If that doesn't do the trick then a rotary buffer with a wool pad will help cut deeper. We are big fans of the 3M products as well. Be sure to follow up with a wax for protection.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

What about some of the products that are supposed to take scratches out?
We had a problem two weeks ago: no boaters in front of boat that had to go to bathroom badly; young teen at gas pump; they stuck out hand and he grabbed it, boat pivots and rear hits pontoon in rear. My beautiful boat scratched.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Krob1114 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:37 am What about some of the products that are supposed to take scratches out?
We had a problem two weeks ago: no boaters in front of boat that had to go to bathroom badly; young teen at gas pump; they stuck out hand and he grabbed it, boat pivots and rear hits pontoon in rear. My beautiful boat scratched.
For more buffing and waxing info see discussion here. (although I think you have seen this already K. ;) ) Any pics?

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)