Trailer for 220 or 226

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
Canterbury
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Trailer for 220 or 226

Post by Canterbury »

I have been searching for a used Cobalt and narrowed my search down to 2 boats, a 220 and a 226. As luck would have it, neither has a trailer included so I need to come up with something quickly. Would only have to initially haul the boat about 30 miles from their current home. Obviously, I could go new but not many available and pricey. I would only use it for launch and end of year take out, and the boat ramp is only 1/2 mile away.

Option A) I spoke with some marinas and boat yards but they dont handle any hauling service. A boat transporter said they could do the big trailer ship but wouId need a local place to offload on a trailer and then deliver to residence. Sounded far too complicated for what is necessary.

Option B) Found a used bunk trailer but not sure if the setup would work for the Cobalt. It previously had a 25 foot VHull boat, but they now use a Boatel service instead so no use. How difficult, if at all, would it be to get the trailer to work? What to look out for?

Option C) Any other ideas? :D
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Re: Trailer for 220 or 226

Post by SAB220 »

Centerbury - I would postpone best you can for 2021-2022 and buy a new trailer or talk to trailer salesman in the Convention center boat show in Feb. Get the trailer you want IF its available with Covid .
2004 220
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Canterbury wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:27 am I have been searching for a used Cobalt and narrowed my search down to 2 boats, a 220 and a 226. As luck would have it, neither has a trailer included so I need to come up with something quickly. Would only have to initially haul the boat about 30 miles from their current home. Obviously, I could go new but not many available and pricey. I would only use it for launch and end of year take out, and the boat ramp is only 1/2 mile away.

Option A) I spoke with some marinas and boat yards but they dont handle any hauling service. A boat transporter said they could do the big trailer ship but wouId need a local place to offload on a trailer and then deliver to residence. Sounded far too complicated for what is necessary.

Option B) Found a used bunk trailer but not sure if the setup would work for the Cobalt. It previously had a 25 foot VHull boat, but they now use a Boatel service instead so no use. How difficult, if at all, would it be to get the trailer to work? What to look out for?

Option C) Any other ideas? :D
I think your only option here is B unless they will store the boat until a trailer is made? I guess if you could find another person with a like boat who you could make friends with and borrow their trailer, but more than likely this time of year their boat will be occupying their trailer.
The thing with option B is that the boats chines cannot ride on the bunks, so you would need to be able to adjust them if necessary. Are you able to complete this task? Now I do know people that have sat their boat on trailers with the chines riding but I would not do that to my boat.
CS23
Canterbury
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Canterbury »

The bunks should be adjustable and this shouldnt be too hard. I hadnt heard that Cobalt's needed any special trailer setups other than bunks were preferable. One Cobalt I looked at was actually on a roller trailer.

Any insight into how the bunks should be set up or pictures? Thanks
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

See my photo i have in my phone. You don't want the boat to be resting on the little triangles. You want them flat on the hull
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CS23
Canterbury
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Canterbury »

I found a used galvanized Venture Trailer that I think should be able to handle a 220. It is a tandem with a max tow rating of 7200 lbs and previously trailered a Grady White cuddy cabin. A little rough from the picture, but I only need this for a short initial pickup trip and then a yearly launch/take out of less than a mile.

Questions:
- Only has 2 bunks and front roller. is this too much concentrated pressure on the bottom?
- Should additional bunks be added?
- Add bottom rollers?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dudley67
Captain
Captain

Post by Dudley67 »

Looks rough, but should be fine, I would add center bunks if possible. But you can get away with the adjustable rollers. Just my $.02
Current:

2016 Marker One ML4
“Looney toon”

1975 18TH
“Phoenix”

Past:
2001 226
1989 19BR
2007 252
1992 222 Condurre
Canterbury
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Canterbury »

I picked up the trailer and it is in very good shape with just surface rust. Have cleaned this off and recoating. For support,, the bunks are 12 ft long so plenty of support over a long area to spread out the weight. Bunks can be adjusted for width and they have the plastic slide covers as well.

A friend knows of a 220 on a lift not too far from him. He was going to take measurements for width from this lift and then I can set my bunks to the same width. There are only 2 bunks on a lift so the weight spread should be the same as a 2 bunk trailer, no?

Dudley, on your roller comment, are you referring g to rollers down the center of the trailer? So the boat would ride on the keel portion?

Thanks to all for the feedback.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

What year 220 are you looking at? 2 bunks are fine. Check the wheel bearings.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!