Just picked up 2002 227 with GXI 8.1

HITTHEGAS
Ensign
Ensign

Just picked up 2002 227 with GXI 8.1

Post by HITTHEGAS »

Hello everyone,
I'm new here and would like to introduce myself.
My name is Pat and I live in Maine (Central)
I just picked up what I think to be a unique and rare optioned 2002 227.. I say rare because it has the big 8.1 , captains call, trim tabs ,deluxe paint etc.. I'm pretty sure when they had this boat custom ordered for them price wasn't a concern. I have only seen a few of these and none with this engine option. I'm hoping to find out if others are having hard time finding OEM parts for the older Cobalts. I have a couple interior pieces that I would like to replace and order a Bimini too. I have talked to a dealer about ordering the Faux interior wood inserts and they tell me that you can't get anything from cobalt that is older than 7 yrs. Does anyone know this to be true? Or is there someplace that sells or reproduce older Cobalt interior? I did find places that sell biminis but there are other things I would like to replace. I appreciate any input and if anyone has seen or owned one like this please let me know. Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Just picked up 2002 227 with GXI 8.1

Post by Ytmsn »

**Big Block to the nearest paging phone**

Welcome Hitthegas! That's a good looking boat! You'll find some "like minds" here. BB has something similar and I'm sure you guys will compare notes.
Last edited by Ytmsn on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

Welcome to site. A lot of good guys and advice. Check out this link on the site. It might have what u r looking for
http://www.cobaltchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=260
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Yeah that link will take you to the exact OEM panels. And the 7 year rule sucks but you learn how to get around it, ignore it or live with it. The boat you're riding around in is worth it!

An upholstery shop can get a close match to the marine vinyl for your interior. The original stuff is unobtainium from Cobalt. I just did my interior last winter.
"Black Boats Matter"
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Welcome from California!!
You found a great boat with some serious steam!
That is a Great combo and looking forward to hearing more!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
HITTHEGAS
Ensign
Ensign

Post by HITTHEGAS »

Thanks guys, I'm very happy to find this package. The boat handles the big stuff very well for the size. We have a slip on a very nice lake in Maine (Great Pond) we did take it out on the ocean this weekend...again awesome!!! Thanks for the info on the tops..I see they say that the hardware is provided by cobalt (Bimini mounting) it doesn't it did come with the convertible top hardware but the Bimini mounts on the side and the convertible mounts on the top side window rail. Not a big deal .. I will call them. I don't mind spending a little money on it ( I think I got a good deal) it only has 240 hours. Again thanks for your welcoming me
HITTHEGAS
Ensign
Ensign

Post by HITTHEGAS »

Another question, does anyone know what the stock prop setup is? With 5 people and a full tank I'm getting 61-62 on gps.
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Welcome to the forum Hit. That looks like a really nice boat. You'll find a lot of help here from some very knowledgeable folks.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Welcome to the forum. Already he's bragging it's faster than mine. I don't like this guy :-)
That is a good hull much faster than my slug. What drive is on it.I'm assuming Volvo seeing you said 8.1 not 496. Hard to say what the stock prop is. What's on it now and what rpm at wot are you getting. What do you think your missing on performance? If you wanted 70mph that's not going to happen. A little hull cleaner might help? I love the 7 year rule. I wish car manufactures did it too. Not!
I thought I saw a taupe binimi somewhere. I'll look tonight. Post pictures of what you have and what you need and we can help you out. Sorry just saw this post I went to bed early last night. Getting old sucks. I'm trying to catch up to YT :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

BB the Geezzzzzzer.
There is a place in OK called Edwards Canvas that might be able to help you. Give them a call and check with them, but you can probably just cut your bimini off and send it to them for a template. Then they build a new one with zippers, and you zip it right on your hardware, no worries.
"Black Boats Matter"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I know. I'm at work and not really wanting to wake up today. I really didn't look close to the title I see it is a Volvo my bad. Not fully awake yet today. Still what pitch props are on it and what drive and ratio is on her. Congrats again. The boat looks very nice.
YT has all kind of zippers.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
HITTHEGAS
Ensign
Ensign

Post by HITTHEGAS »

It does have the Volvo.. I did some looking on line with part #s on the props.. they are the F8's
I'm fine with going local on the interior.. the Bimini is the most important thing (to my wife and kids) lol. I'm running about 4,800 wot. I'm not looking to spend a pile of money to go 2 miles a hr faster. I guess I was just asking if that's about right. BB..the boat stay on slip, every minute I have had to be on it I have. But it's out of the water at the moment so I'm cleaning it up. Thanks for all the info guys
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yea your close to the top of your rpm range. I think it is 5000 rpm though. You might be able to drop to a f7. I have a set of 4x4 props that might work but it might push the rev limiter too. Hard to say till you try it? Your speed is pretty much right on. That's a heavy 220. You would get a killer hole shot and midrange dropping a pitch. My other 8.1gi had f8's on it too. It didn't have the hole shot mine has.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey HITTHEGAS, welcome to the Cobalt chat forum. So glad you found us!

Beautiful 227 you got there my friend. Hopefully you can find some of the pieces for which you are looking. It's worth the investment.

Your prop RPM's are spinning right where they should be. I would not change a thing. 61-62 on gps is what to expect as well.

Again, welcome!
Hope you stay awhile. ...& thanks for not making us beg for pics of that beauty. 8-)
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
HITTHEGAS
Ensign
Ensign

Post by HITTHEGAS »

IMG_5032.JPG
IMG_5032.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.