'12 220 - good for intercoastal and cruising?

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
Angrytoddler
Ensign
Ensign

'12 220 - good for intercoastal and cruising?

Post by Angrytoddler »

Hello all.... I'm a new boater (switching from jet skis now that the kids are bigger). We boat and ride mostly by Atlantic City NJ.... Back bays, intercoastals, inlets and so on. Looking for a nice family boat. Would a 220 suite saltwater use? Tubing, beaching at sandbar, cruising and sorry day trips? We don't go on the ocean but the back waters and bays can get choppy. (Waverunners never had a problem)

Should I look to another model or would the 220 be a good choice? (Looking at 2012 220 with 270hp)

Boat would be trailered or dry docked. All salt water use. Me/wife and 3 kids.
Biggest trip we usually do is 70 miles round trip.
Roughest back water is the Great Bay.

Appreciate the help.... Really think the 220 is beautiful.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: '12 220 - good for intercoastal and cruising?

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey At. So glad you found us!

The 220 is a great lake boat for trailering and water sports. It will get real small on the waters you are boating. Have you considered other manufacturers that handle big water such as Robalo, Formula, Grady White or Pursuit to name a few? My dad had a Scout which he used in the bay and ocean. If I were salt water boating an outboard would be my choice.

Check out this video at the 6:35 point. Classic case of a bow riding lake boat (in this case a beautiful Chris Craft) trying to be a big bay/ocean saltwater boat going through unpredictable water (Haulover inlet)......

Others will chime in shortly.

And welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I personally would go with a 232 or 222.they have more free board. 220 is a nice boat but not much freeboard. Good luck.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Angrytoddler
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Angrytoddler »

Thanks for the reply......I was also looking at the robolo r227. I just really like the layout of the 220, but I also don't want to small of a boat for the waters. Would like a bow rider - any thoughts on the r227 or other bow rider saltwater boats??
dogwspts
Captain
Captain

Post by dogwspts »

I have a 220 in salt water Chesap VA James River and Chesa Bay It does great even in 2 ft chop and 3 ft seas. Great riding boat.
2017 220S 4.5 250 Mercruser Bravo 3
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Angrytoddler wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:23 am Thanks for the reply......I was also looking at the robolo r227. I just really like the layout of the 220, but I also don't want to small of a boat for the waters. Would like a bow rider - any thoughts on the r227 or other bow rider saltwater boats??
Cobalts are one of the sexiest looking boats due to their lower freeboard and their curved down noses with deeper vee deadrises. This also makes them great riding lake boats. However it can also be a disadvantage in bigger bodies of water where larger waves can fill up the bow with water making it a bathtub quite quickly. (similar to what happened to the Chris Craft in the above video.) Like dogwspts mentioned, it can be done but be aware of the limitations.

The other boats don’t look as good (except Formula imho) but their practicality in bigger saltwater environments outweigh the aesthetic factor. Plus with the tides and resulting shallow areas an outboard is extremely helpful.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
dogwspts
Captain
Captain

Post by dogwspts »

Had this 22 ft Cobalt all over the Bay it handles great and smooth ride. Just slow down in rough conditions and trim the bow up you will be ok.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I saw at least some of the new R series have self-bailing cockpits, which would help as well. One of the reasons we bought a 210 instead of a 220 was the greater freeboard for bigger MN lakes, but I think I'd be nervous the whole time taking it out on the ocean on even the nicest day.

The boats Aslan mentioned are all better choices, although not quite as nice inside. Something like an Intrepid starts to come close https://www.intrepidpowerboats.com/boat ... r-console/, and Regulator is solid if not flashy https://www.regulatormarine.com/offshore/boat-models/. Regulator make s23' and 25' boats for near-shore use, but the closer you get to 30' the more comfortable you'll be when the wind and waves pick up.

Keep us posted on what you look at and end up with. Best of luck, and have fun shopping!

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Here's a 23-24 foot Cobalt going through Haulover. The lower freeboard and curved down bow make navigating areas like this tough. Skip to the 5:50 mark....

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Or just use one these that the stig used 😂😂
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:44 pm Or just use one these that the stig used 😂😂
You lost me on this one brother??
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

I dont think the haulover (the worlds worst) is accurate blanket generalization of all intercoastal boating conditions. We have a member above that is still alive after at least one boating season using the same boat in a similar location to the OP. If the OP didnt have any problems with a jet ski on the waters he plans to navigate I highly doubt he would have problems with a 220.
CS23
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

dustinm wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:30 pm I dont think the haulover (the worlds worst) is accurate blanket generalization of all intercoastal boating conditions. We have a member above that is still alive after at least one boating season using the same boat in a similar location to the OP. If the OP didnt have any problems with a jet ski on the waters he plans to navigate I highly doubt he would have problems with a 220.
It’s more about being aware of the Cobalt open bow limitations in bigger water dm. They can become bath tubs quite quickly even with experienced Captains. The Captain in the Cobalt above is being extremely negligent by putting those lives on his boat in danger. You can tell he doesn’t know what he’s doing with his fenders hanging; no bilge pump working; taking waves incorrectly; and swamping his boat to the point where another passenger has to bail using a 5 gallon bucket.

To your point, our family has done quite a bit of boating in very similar conditions (Maryland and Delaware inter coastal waterways). The inlets there can be treacherous as well. There are other boats we’d prefer over our Cobalts based on our experience. Honestly I’d take a jet ski or wave runner in a heart beat as they are great for those areas with their shallow drafts and no props to worry about. We’ve used them all over the bay and ocean. Just me though. Know your limitations and be careful out there. .

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

AsLan7 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:47 am
Big Block Power wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:44 pm Or just use one these that the stig used 😂😂
You lost me on this one brother??
I'm just saying a sled might be as good as a 220😂

Honestly I've never boated intercostal. If it wasn't rough go for it. But I wouldn't want to hit a yachts wake while they were plowing through the water.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
dogwspts
Captain
Captain

Post by dogwspts »

220 is a great boat. It will take a lot more than you can stand. As always pick your conditions and weather. You will love it.