Trailer Recommendation

SBA1988
Ensign
Ensign

Trailer Recommendation

Post by SBA1988 »

Anyone recommend a used bunk trailer for a 2001 - 206. My original trailer was totaled in an accident and looking to replace the Eagle trailer i have now with an original trailer to the Cobalt boat. Looking for dark blue or black or could anybody recommend a good bunk trailer for the same boat? Any thoughts on what to avoid or options to look for? Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BimmerAgent
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Trailer Recommendation

Post by BimmerAgent »

I had a Metal Craft trailer out of Salt Lake under my 206. Solid unit, powder coated, and tough. It was a far better trailer than the EZ Loader I have now under my 220.
2013 220 WSS V-8 300
2001 206 5.7l GSI Sold
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

I've owned 2 boat trailers. Eagle, which is still under my boat and I love it...tows great, loads great. Unfortunately, they don't make OEM trailers any more..

My other trailer was an EZ Loader and it was everything my Eagle wasnt. Finicky, hard to load, heavy, didn't tow well.

It seems like Phoenix and Heritage are what I'm seeing under Cobalts at dealerships, but it also seems like every dealer has their own favorite. If I were intnt eh market, i'd look hard at Loadmaster-- a few on here have them and love them.
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

I have no complaints with my current Heritage, I have had 3 other brands that I wont buy again.
CS23
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I personally love EzLoader.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:05 pm I personally love EzLoader.
Did you finally get one on order?
CS23
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

dustinm wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:20 pm
I have to sell mine first. They did 7 month wait due to demand.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:32 pm
Wow they told me 24 months
CS23
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

dustinm wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:10 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:32 pm

Wow they told me 24 months
I heard they are worth the wait! :roll:
MNStCroix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MNStCroix »

I have a trailer question. First of all.. today we placed the order for a new 2023 R8S! Super excited for next year already. Dealer says it will be completed by Feb. Anyways I’m wondering about the trailer. The boat is coming with a Heritage tandem axle trailer. For trailering safety it’s important to me that the trailer have electronic brakes, not just surge brakes. On the Heritage website they only talked about surge brakes. When I asked the dealer about a trailer upgrade for electronic brakes he insisted that Heritage trailer brakes sync with the truck brakes. Does anyone on here have Heritage trailer with their newer R8 and what is the braking situation? Do they work when in reverse backing down a boat launch?
Minneapolis, MN
2004 Glastron GX 195 (sold)
2019 Chaparral 21H20 OB (sold)
2023 Cobalt R8 Surf
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Heritage will put on whatever you want. For my boat surge brakes are really the only option needed but I requested for electric brakes like you would have on a car trailer.

For an R8 they offer electric over hydraulic brakes which is a great option
CS23
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

Everyone on here knows my recommendation... Heritage makes a nice trailer but Loadmaster trailers out of Port Clinton Ohio is better. You will have to order it directly through Loadmaster yourself though. It is by far the best trailer that I have ever pulled. It is easy to load the boat on them because they use 2 forward bunks to center the boat. They are totally custom and the list of options is endless.
I built mine with the help of Megan and I think Tuscany worked with Gary. Call them and they actually answer the phone in person and reply to emails, they are great people to work with!
My R5 with trailer and Tuscany’s R7 are in the gallery of pictures in their powerboat trailers section of their website.

https://www.loadmasterboattrailer.com/

On a different note, with a name of MNStCroix you must also be from Minnesota? Who are you ordering your R8 through?
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

I have a 2022 R8S and I have a boat mate trailer that I love. If I were you I’d go with BoatMate or Loadmaster. As was stated I think Heritage is a solid manufacture but typically the dealer will order a trailer that is just enough for you boat. Meaning the R8S has a dry weight of 6,700 pounds to you get a trailer with a cargo capacity of 7,000 lbs. I personally like knowing I have something beefy under my 200K plus boat. If you’re not doing a ton of towing It may not matter, but if you plan on towing a lot I’d really do my research, your spending so much on this boat don’t skimp on the trailer. Just my thoughts.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

dsthomas wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:03 am I have a 2022 R8S and I have a boat mate trailer that I love. If I were you I’d go with BoatMate or Loadmaster. As was stated I think Heritage is a solid manufacture but typically the dealer will order a trailer that is just enough for you boat. Meaning the R8S has a dry weight of 6,700 pounds to you get a trailer with a cargo capacity of 7,000 lbs. I personally like knowing I have something beefy under my 200K plus boat. If you’re not doing a ton of towing It may not matter, but if you plan on towing a lot I’d really do my research, your spending so much on this boat don’t skimp on the trailer. Just my thoughts.
You are 100% correct! Ask what the axles are rated for. Dealers will put a boat on a trailer that is rated for the weight of the boat but the axles will be at max capacity. Things will eventually break if always at max capacity. When I was looking to replace my EZLoader trailer that was the first question I would ask, What are the axles rated for? Most manufacturers would put 3700lb or 4200lb axles under my R5. I emailed Loadmaster and they said they would use 6000lb Dexter axles, I said build it.
I bet some dealers will put 3 3500lb axles under an R8 but I don’t see the need. Why would anyone want 3 axles when 2 heavier axles will carry the same load? 2 more tires to wear out or fail, 2 more bearings to maintain or fail...
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Why are guys guys going to stop by Menards and get a load of sheetrock in your boat on the way home?
CS23