Interior Lighting + Depth Gauge Issue

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
Canterbury
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Interior Lighting + Depth Gauge Issue

Post by Canterbury »

Hi All,

I have a 2006 220 that is new to me and in great shape. There are few niggling concerns that need to be addressed and I havent been able to locate concrete info to fix these in my searches.

1) Interior Lighting - There are 3 interior (I think that is all, plus one inside the glove box) that should come on with the dash switch - 1 at the front center and then one low on each side behind the seats. I switched out the bulbs to LED's and the front center certainly works, but not the rears. The old bulbs dont work either so something wrong with the housing, wiring or ??? I pulled the housing and the wiring was connected and the socket looked solid, but I did not have a power meter. Any ideas where common issues would reside? Under dash, circuit?

2) Depth Gauge - this has been on the fritz since the test drive and I found some threads on how to solve the issue with the anit-freeze fill-up. Just need to find out where the actual unit is located. There is some type of unit in the floor beneath the front of the engine that I thought was the proper one, but this has a large diameter piece that screws over the top. From my search, the depth gauge had a pop on type top. Is this maybe at the back of the engine area, so not real accesible?

Thanks to all for the great advice and direction that I see on this site. A lot of knowledge.

Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Interior Lighting + Depth Gauge Issue

Post by Big Block Power »

Your transducer is right by the starboard Motor mount on the bottom of the hull.
Yes those 3 lights plus the glove box should all come in at the same time. I don't know where they are tied together though.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

Also look under the engine fan belt on the hull for the 5" diameter black transducer. Be nice to the 20 year old plastic transducer and screw off the plastic cap and fill it with antifreeze.

I suggest you don't switch bulbs. If you want LEDs switch the three lighting fixtures to fixtures designed for LEDs. Old fixtures may not work with LEDs. If your troubleshooting stay with the old fixtures and bulbs, if the fixtures are not corroded. Check if any fuses pop out on the helm dashboard. I &W you get it working switch the 3 fixture to LEDs... you can get colored LEDs... I like blue
2004 220
Canterbury
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Canterbury »

Thank you for the replys. I did switch out the regular bulbs for the LED's but even when I changed back, the originals didnt work. I plan to bring a meter to see if I am getting power to the rear sockets. Will also check fuses but I would imagine all of the interior lights would be on the same one, not just the rears.
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

I think the only fuse is on the dash. I'd inspect the glove light and switch. You can unscrew the carpeted panel behind the glove box and get a good view of the glove light. PIA putting panel back. If you have plans for a radio upgrade don't put the panel back ...great for Amps. Good luck
2004 220
Canterbury
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Canterbury »

Update - I was able to figure out one of the lights. Never knew this, but LED lights have a polarity and need to be put in "correctly". I turned the lights 180 degrees and 1 out of the 2 lit up. Swapping the bulbs didnt get the other to work, so it is the fixture/wiring, so now the next level of digging in.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Canterbury wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:27 am Update - I was able to figure out one of the lights. Never knew this, but LED lights have a polarity and need to be put in "correctly". I turned the lights 180 degrees and 1 out of the 2 lit up. Swapping the bulbs didnt get the other to work, so it is the fixture/wiring, so now the next level of digging in.
Yep a LED is a diode! Only work one way.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Canterbury
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Canterbury »

More info on the Depth Gauge transducer. The model on mine is a Faria SN2060 (also called an Airmar). This IS located near the starboard motor mount, but doesnt have the cap style top with the glycol, so was throwing me as far as the model.

https://maxmarineelectronics.com/produc ... ted-depth/

I cant find any info online or in this forum about fixing this type of transducer other than checking wires/connectors. Anyone have any experience with this one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canterbury
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Canterbury »

Happy New Year All. Needed to revisit this post to refresh my memory. On my 2006 220, I replaced the interior lights with blue LED's but re-thinking this for a switch to red (fewer bugs and night vision). Cant locate my old bulb order and not near the boat. What type bulb is used on these lights? I havent been able to narrow it down thru the search.

Thank you kindly.