Ian

(non-boating; no politics!)
CobaltDeadHead
Captain
Captain

Ian

Post by CobaltDeadHead »

Hope all you Southwest Florida Cobalt people stay safe. Going to be a doozy.

My folks are just North of Venice and about two miles inland and about 13 feet above sea level. They're riding Ian out They've got their home built to withstand 140+ mph winds....we hope. I'm certainly a bit nervous for them.
2005 Cobalt 24SX 350Mag
2010 Key West 186 DC - retired
Lake Winnipesaukee
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Ian

Post by Krob1114 »

CobaltDeadHead wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:09 am Hope all you Southwest Florida Cobalt people stay safe. Going to be a doozy.

My folks are just North of Venice and about two miles inland and about 13 feet above sea level. They're riding Ian out They've got their home built to withstand 140+ mph winds....we hope. I'm certainly a bit nervous for them.
I'd be worried too. I pray that they'll be safe. Most of Broward County was +/- 12 feet above sea level. I never experienced a major hurricane when I was there. I was in Tulsa when Andrew hit south of Miami, and I had no damages to my condo 10-12 miles inland.

My friends in the Villages are not that worried.

I forget where Venice is. Are they on the direct hit path?
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
CobaltDeadHead
Captain
Captain

Post by CobaltDeadHead »

Venice is between Ft Myers and Sarasota, so potentially in the direct hit path. They are in Nokomis specifically, just north of Venice Bay by a couple of miles.
2005 Cobalt 24SX 350Mag
Lake Winnipesaukee
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Will be praying for them CDH. The storm surge flooding may be more of an issue than the winds.
I flew into FLL last night and am the last flight out now with SWA. Winds are gusting from the south at 40 mph.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
CobaltDeadHead
Captain
Captain

Post by CobaltDeadHead »

An amateur meteorologist friend shared this with me regarding the surge. Tip of the pencil is basically where their house is. They should be okay if this holds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2005 Cobalt 24SX 350Mag
Lake Winnipesaukee
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

I just heard on news that winds are up to 155 mph.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

AsLan7 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:53 am .
Will be praying for them CDH. The storm surge flooding may be more of an issue than the winds.
I flew into FLL last night and am the last flight out now with SWA. Winds are gusting from the south at 40 mph.
Can you guys use Foreflight WX Radar for routing with the delay it has?
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

kas232ca wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:33 pm
We have foreflight but we actually use WSI on our IPads for real time weather.
Of course our WX radar is the most accurate for real time weather painting.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

AsLan7 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:18 pm

I bet you guys pay a bundle for WSI. Did you ever get 'surprised' in the old days with something ugly hiding behind the onboard radar?
Lake Havasu, AZ
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

kas232ca wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:33 pm

I bet you guys pay a bundle for WSI. Did you ever get 'surprised' in the old days with something ugly hiding behind the onboard radar?
I'm sure the company does K.

To your question, our older radars in the military had orange monochromatic screens. Our Navigator would use it to help us navigate around weather. One day while cruising at 38,000 feet our Nav asked us to turn left 20 degrees to go around something ugly coming up at 40 miles. The pilot and I looked at each other and said there isn't a cloud in the sky. She insisted.
We decided to stay on course and overfly the city of St. Louis instead of deviating around it. :lol:
(as a side note, it was awesome having Navigators in the cockpit and we missed having them after they were replaced by computers)
We've come a long way since that technology.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

AsLan7 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:46 am
kas232ca wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:33 pm

I'm sure the company does K.

To your question, our older radars in the military had orange monochromatic screens. Our Navigator would use it to help us navigate around weather. One day while cruising at 38,000 feet our Nav asked us to turn left 20 degrees to go around something ugly coming up at 40 miles. The pilot and I looked at each other and said there isn't a cloud in the sky. She insisted.
We decided to stay on course and overfly the city of St. Louis instead of deviating around it. :lol:
(as a side note, it was awesome having Navigators in the cockpit and we missed having them after they were replaced by computers)
We've come a long way since that technology.

Maybe she just didn't like St. Louis... I love the pencil sharpener in the upper left.
Lake Havasu, AZ
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by MnLakeBum »

The damage near Fort Myers was devastating. We are feeling lucky that our Naples condo had no damage to the inside but 28 of the 40 first floor units in our complex had water damage, mostly 1-4 inches and a handful with more than that. We had 4.5 feet of water in our garage which was built in 1968 and has never had more than an inch or two of water from any previous hurricane/storm. We had a couple vehicles totaled but those are easy to replace. The death toll is a 25 but I sadly expect it to climb into the hundreds in the next week or so. We are told to not expect power for another week or two.

Our condo is on the upper right on the beach side picture. Buildings like this 25 miles to the north were completely destroyed.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

MnLakeBum wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:48 pm The damage near Fort Myers was devastating. We are feeling lucky that our Naples condo had no damage to the inside but 28 of the 40 first floor units in our complex had water damage, mostly 1-4 inches and a handful with more than that. We had 4.5 feet of water in our garage which was built in 1968 and has never had more than an inch or two of water from any previous hurricane/storm. We had a couple vehicles totaled but those are easy to replace. The death toll is a 25 but I sadly expect it to climb into the hundreds in the next week or so. We are told to not expect power for another week or two.

Our condo is on the upper right on the beach side picture. Buildings like this 25 miles to the north were completely destroyed.
It looks like your building held up well for being from the 60's. Had it been reinforced over the years?
Lake Havasu, AZ
CobaltDeadHead
Captain
Captain

Post by CobaltDeadHead »

Glad it wasn't worse for you MLB. The sheer size of area impacted is mind boggling.

My folks made out remarkably well, but only because they were just barely far enough North and also two miles inland. Highest sustained winds in their area was "only" 85mph. Need to replace the screen around the pool and some landscaping was destroyed, but that's about it. Power outage for only 26 hours.
2005 Cobalt 24SX 350Mag
Lake Winnipesaukee
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by MnLakeBum »

kas232ca wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:54 pm
MnLakeBum wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:48 pm The damage near Fort Myers was devastating. We are feeling lucky that our Naples condo had no damage to the inside but 28 of the 40 first floor units in our complex had water damage, mostly 1-4 inches and a handful with more than that. We had 4.5 feet of water in our garage which was built in 1968 and has never had more than an inch or two of water from any previous hurricane/storm. We had a couple vehicles totaled but those are easy to replace. The death toll is a 25 but I sadly expect it to climb into the hundreds in the next week or so. We are told to not expect power for another week or two.

It looks like your building held up well for being from the 60's. Had it been reinforced over the years?
No but it’s all concrete block and poured concrete construction. The roof trusses are the only structural parts made of wood. The roof is 35 years old and is scheduled for replacement as part of a major remodel that begins next May.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado