Golf carts

(non-boating; no politics!)
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Golf carts

Post by sailor55330 »

Guys- I know it's way off the boating world, but anyone have any insights on golf carts? I'm looking for one to go from Dock to House. It's not far, but it is about a 15% slope, dirt, not paved--think of it as a well worn walking path. I've heard/read everything from "a golf cart won't do that" to only get Electric Lithium to gas is the better choice for hills. I don't really care much about the top speed, more interested in durability as it will be lifted and going over some ruts/bumps, but still adult driven.

I've driven Club Car & EZO...Club car was my favorite, but I've also read good things about the upstart ICON brand......then many others have told me for my needs, a Yamaha with gas is the way to go (397CC engine).

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love for you to share, espeically the gas/electric on a hill debate. I've always assumed electric woudl be better with the totally flat torque curve, but after some research, I'm not so sure.

Thanks
drtbar
Commander
Commander

Re: Golf carts

Post by drtbar »

I had an "Obama Cart" from the electric car incentives and it was great... until the batteries needed to be replaced. They lasted about 10 years, but was gonna be about $900 to replace. I sold the cart. Gas engine will probably last your lifetime. I'm gonna replace it with a side by side Honda Pioneer.
2022 R6
Mona Lake - Lake Michigan, Norton Shores, MI
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

If you are looking at electric with a brushed motor and lead acid batteries then gas hands down. But the times have changed. With a brushless motor and lithium batteries there is no compelling reason to go gas. Of course they are more expensive but you own a boat brand that is more expensive than most.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

stifflkd wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:01 pm If you are looking at electric with a brushed motor and lead acid batteries then gas hands down. But the times have changed. With a brushless motor and lithium batteries there is no compelling reason to go gas. Of course they are more expensive but you own a boat brand that is more expensive than most.
Ac and lithium gets expensive quick. I can get a new gas Yamaha for about the same price as a used AC/lithium set up

My gut say electric but the practical guy in me says gas
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

sailor55330 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:29 pm
stifflkd wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:01 pm If you are looking at electric with a brushed motor and lead acid batteries then gas hands down. But the times have changed. With a brushless motor and lithium batteries there is no compelling reason to go gas. Of course they are more expensive but you own a boat brand that is more expensive than most.
Ac and lithium gets expensive quick. I can get a new gas Yamaha for about the same price as a used AC/lithium set up

I think the more important question here is what is your budget? I purchased a used 2016 EZGO RXV 48V AC electric a couple years ago for $5k. I've since added new batteries so tack on another $900. I will say that my cart is lifted and while it helps increase top speed (mine is driven on actual roads) it does take away from acceleration on hills. Especially when loaded down. Its not like it crawls or anything but there is a noticeable difference. According to the folks over at https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ I believe the issue is the AC controller is programmed for a max 19.5" diameter tire and mine are 21.5". Seems silly but there is a whole lot of threads about it. There is a guy in your neck of the woods who roams around and reprograms the AC controller for those with lifted carts to get better performance. Or there is an option to change out the controller but that is also expensive. Not sure if this is an issue with club car or not.

Personally I hate the sound of gas carts so that will never be an option for me.
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Table Rockin wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:24 am

I think the more important question here is what is your budget? I purchased a used 2016 EZGO RXV 48V AC electric a couple years ago for $5k. I've since added new batteries so tack on another $900. I will say that my cart is lifted and while it helps increase top speed (mine is driven on actual roads) it does take away from acceleration on hills. Especially when loaded down. Its not like it crawls or anything but there is a noticeable difference. According to the folks over at https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ I believe the issue is the AC controller is programmed for a max 19.5" diameter tire and mine are 21.5". Seems silly but there is a whole lot of threads about it. There is a guy in your neck of the woods who roams around and reprograms the AC controller for those with lifted carts to get better performance. Or there is an option to change out the controller but that is also expensive. Not sure if this is an issue with club car or not.

Personally I hate the sound of gas carts so that will never be an option for me.
Thanks a great price. Just like everything else, the used market is crazy. It’s been hard to find a decent used cart less than 9k around here. I looked at 2 that were early 2000s 36v with old no name batteries and enough rust to warrant a tetanus shot and they want 3 for it
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

sailor55330 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:39 am
Table Rockin wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:24 am

Thanks a great price. Just like everything else, the used market is crazy. It’s been hard to find a decent used cart less than 9k around here. I looked at 2 that were early 2000s 36v with old no name batteries and enough rust to warrant a tetanus shot and they want 3 for it
Yeah I guess the used market is nuts so maybe wait it out a bit? If you are just literally going up/down a sloped pathway I'd think one of those old shitty 36V may be your best bet.....for now anyway. Just try to get one without risking tetanus :lol:
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
Hertzy
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Hertzy »

I had an old cheap one for a few years and I don't think it would have any problem with a 15% slope. I've certainly taken on more than that on a golf course with their carts with no problems. I will say that they are more pricey than I expected, which is why I bought an old beater (RIP).
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

If you're at 9k for a used golf cart, something like an older used Polaris Ranger might work too.

e.g., https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/ ... 99194.html

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

jhnmdahl wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:01 am If you're at 9k for a used golf cart, something like an older used Polaris Ranger might work too.

e.g., https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/ ... 99194.html

John
You swearing? No Polaris. 😂😂Honda or CanAm.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Hondas are great, but always cost a couple bucks more. John Deere's Gators are in the same bucket - all pretty close, and all perhaps a step up from a golf cart.
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

jhnmdahl wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:11 pm Hondas are great, but always cost a couple bucks more. John Deere's Gators are in the same bucket - all pretty close, and all perhaps a step up from a golf cart.
That would be my ideal choice---Can Am Defender HD10- Even had BBP trying to bird dog one for me.....but the Corps of Engineers won't allow them on corps land. No 4x4 as it will "encourage people to drive it where the shouldn't and harm the environment==aka "corps land" that you must pass through that borders the entire lake by tearing it up. The interesting part is core land is actually public land and literally anyone can access it---they can walk the shoreline right up to the gangway to your dock, but the floating dock is private property.... They actually have a clause that even says no all terrain tires, only the golf course smoothies, but that doesn't stop anyone.

Now, do people do it, yes...if they get caught, they can have their dock permit pulled or so I've been told and that will take 50% off your house value instantly. The ACOE is quite an interesting group to deal with and if you make their naughty list, your life becomes miserable.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

sailor55330 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:55 pm
jhnmdahl wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:11 pm Hondas are great, but always cost a couple bucks more. John Deere's Gators are in the same bucket - all pretty close, and all perhaps a step up from a golf cart.
That would be my ideal choice---Can Am Defender HD10- Even had BBP trying to bird dog one for me.....but the Corps of Engineers won't allow them on corps land. No 4x4 as it will "encourage people to drive it where the shouldn't and harm the environment==aka "corps land" that you must pass through that borders the entire lake by tearing it up. The interesting part is core land is actually public land and literally anyone can access it---they can walk the shoreline right up to the gangway to your dock, but the floating dock is private property.... They actually have a clause that even says no all terrain tires, only the golf course smoothies, but that doesn't stop anyone.

Now, do people do it, yes...if they get caught, they can have their dock permit pulled or so I've been told and that will take 50% off your house value instantly. The ACOE is quite an interesting group to deal with and if you make their naughty list, your life becomes miserable.
Pull the transaxle and make it rear wheel drive? I’m full of good ideas!
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

jhnmdahl wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:00 pm
sailor55330 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:55 pm

Pull the transaxle and make it rear wheel drive? I’m full of good ideas!
I’ll give you creativity points for sure.
drtbar
Commander
Commander

Post by drtbar »

Where is this "core land" you speak of? In Michigan, 4+ seater ATVs are all over the place.
2022 R6
Mona Lake - Lake Michigan, Norton Shores, MI