Seakeeper?

Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Seakeeper?

Post by Lifelongbtr »

Has anyone experienced this product? I have to admit there are days that it would be much easier to eat a sandwich with one of these installed. Little pricey but I bet this becomes an option on new boats 25'+ very soon if it works as advertised.

I wonder how this works with inconsistent waves, from other boats, etc.

https://www.seakeeper.com/home/
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Seakeeper?

Post by Big Block Power »

I've only watched vids of it but it's pretty cool and pretty sure it works really good. But it takes up plenty of room.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

I agree. With a larger fishing platform this could work really well especially on big bodies of water. Add this and pump in some Gucci scents while chumming and sea sickness could be a thing of the past on fishing charters.🤮

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

On a typical charter fishing boat, you're adding $40-60k to the cost, plus the power and water cooling pump to spool it up and keep it spinning while you're out. It works well with waves from other boats, etc., and has been common on larger yachts for quite a while.

I can see having it on a luxury yacht or on a charter vessel to improve the customer experience as a point of differentiation, but I'd have to be a lot more loaded than I ever expect to be tp out one on my own boat. Here's wishing though ;)
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

AsLan7 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:55 am I agree. With a larger fishing platform this could work really well especially on big bodies of water. Add this and pump in some Gucci scents while chumming and sea sickness could be a thing of the past on fishing charters.🤮

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

So I got a little curious, you can add this as an option for the R33, the Seakeeper for that size boat is $23k one their website, add it to a Cobalt and it's a $63k option. That's a hefty markup / install cost!
CobaltDeadHead
Captain
Captain

Post by CobaltDeadHead »

Profit margin must be absolutely massive for those devices.
2005 Cobalt 24SX 350Mag
2010 Key West 186 DC - retired
Lake Winnipesaukee
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

CobaltDeadHead wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:46 am Profit margin must be absolutely massive for those devices.
The engineering is a bit deceptive - it's a very heavy gyroscope that spins at speeds approaching 10k rpm, and can take an hour to reach full speed/effectiveness. Then, you have water cooling to make sure all that spinning doesn't overheat and destroy itself, and electronic controls that measure pitch and roll and push the gyroscope against the boat using hydraulics to counteract the boat's movement.

I thought this video was interesting
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)