Tach gone whacko

(190 through 360)
TwoDuckDad
Commander
Commander

Tach gone whacko

Post by TwoDuckDad »

My tachometer often indicates an incorrect RPM. It is obviously wrong because it sometimes shows 3K at idle and 2K at WOT. I've read that these tachs were supplied by Faria. Looking for someone who has some experience working with tachs. Is it likely that if it has a signal and showing erroneous RPMs that the tach unit is likely bad or perhaps another part of the system? Will this one work? https://fariabeede.com/2-pages/aftermarket.php
2007 240, 5.7 ltr Gxi VP
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Tach gone whacko

Post by Titaniumboy »

Faria might be able to repair your existing tachometer.
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
TwoDuckDad
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoDuckDad »

After further reading it appears my next step should be to check all the connections on the rear of the unit and be sure the cylinder switch is on "8". I assume like most tachometers, there is a magnetic pickup somewhere on the engine. Does this go bad or is my problem likely with the tach (including connections)?
2007 240, 5.7 ltr Gxi VP
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

Yes, check the connections - there is a switch on the back of the tach that selects how many cylinders, turn that switch (usually use a screwdriver) through all the settings once or twice - the connections tend to corrode and make the tach go wacky.
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

Mine occasionally reads about 1500 too high. I just tap it and it then works for the rest of the day correctly.
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
Cruiser64
Commander
Commander

Post by Cruiser64 »

kas232ca wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:33 am Mine occasionally reads about 1500 too high. I just tap it and it then works for the rest of the day correctly.
My 07 220 did the exact same thing. Give it quick tap in the center of the glass and you were good to go.
2004 262 w/8.1 GXi
TwoDuckDad
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoDuckDad »

spoke to a tech support guy at Faria and he confirmed: first move the cylinder knob back and forth and then be sure it is on the correct spot per the legend printed next to the knob. Take the boat out and confirm if that worked. If not, remove and clean all connectors and be sure wiring is in good condition. If I'm getting a signal but the wrong indication of RPMs then it is likely the unit. Cost to replace is about the same as repair so a new one is the better choice. Planning to do that during the next nice weather day. Since I had to wait a few days for good weather and I'm gonna be "under the hood", I decided to upgrade the speedo to the Faria GPS unit which is more accurate and much easier to read any speed under 30 mph since the new speedo begins at 0 (versus 10) and the graduations between each 10 MPH is the same. I'd attach photos but it appears this forum doesn't allow me to simply insert from my laptop. Anyone know a work around besides having an online photo storage? (which I'm not a fan)
2007 240, 5.7 ltr Gxi VP
Daniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Daniel »

I had my 2003 tach repaired by Faria and it works perfectly now. Verified accurate by vessel view.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

TwoDuckDad wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:09 pm spoke to a tech support guy at Faria and he confirmed: first move the cylinder knob back and forth and then be sure it is on the correct spot per the legend printed next to the knob. Take the boat out and confirm if that worked. If not, remove and clean all connectors and be sure wiring is in good condition. If I'm getting a signal but the wrong indication of RPMs then it is likely the unit. Cost to replace is about the same as repair so a new one is the better choice. Planning to do that during the next nice weather day. Since I had to wait a few days for good weather and I'm gonna be "under the hood", I decided to upgrade the speedo to the Faria GPS unit which is more accurate and much easier to read any speed under 30 mph since the new speedo begins at 0 (versus 10) and the graduations between each 10 MPH is the same. I'd attach photos but it appears this forum doesn't allow me to simply insert from my laptop. Anyone know a work around besides having an online photo storage? (which I'm not a fan)
I've heard reports that moving the number of cylinders knob on the back, side to side several times, can effectively clean the contacts and make an inconsistent tach work well again. Might as well try it before sending it in or replacing it.

As for photos, if you click the "Full Editor and Preview" button when composing a response in the Quick Reply window, it will open a bigger reply page where you can clock on "attachments" down below the text box and directly upload and attach a photo to your post, including placing it inline with your message.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
TwoDuckDad
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoDuckDad »

thanks John. This is the speedo I'm getting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2007 240, 5.7 ltr Gxi VP
TwoDuckDad
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoDuckDad »

Note to self: Always check to make sure I'm logged into this forum prior to typing a reply. Otherwise once you log in your text disappears! The maneuvering of the cylinder indicator knob on the back of the tach did the trick. I also installed the new Faria GPS speedo. Sea trial completed this morning under blue and sunny skies above Lake Lanier. I learned several things during the projects. First, it really helps to have a 3/8 deep well socket to remove and install the brass nuts on the speedo. Second, one must plug the black hose that went to the old speedo that is not used on a GPS speedo or it will leak. Third, having the right tools, connectors, etc. makes the job go better and more enjoyable. Fourth, calling Faria tech support prior was money. The guy gave me very good advice, it was perfectly accurate, and he was an American who spoke perfect English. Fifth, always search the forum and seek advice prior to beginning a project to see what you can learn from others. Thanks to all who contributed in the past and now.
2007 240, 5.7 ltr Gxi VP
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Great words of wisdom TDD. 👌🏻
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

TwoDuckDad wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:02 amSecond, one must plug the black hose that went to the old speedo that is not used on a GPS speedo or it will leak.
Better yet, completely remove it.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

Any pictures of the instrument cluster after the speedometer install? I’m curious how well the new speedometer matches the original gauges.

How much would this cost me if I wanted to upgrade the twin of your boat?
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

bruceb58 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:02 pm
TwoDuckDad wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:02 amSecond, one must plug the black hose that went to the old speedo that is not used on a GPS speedo or it will leak.
Better yet, completely remove it.
It's a new option! A cockpit shower! 😂😂🚿
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!